BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Colors...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    But as I stated before, you got really lucky with your donor (as did I). Others can't expect to get a similar deal. I'm with Metal; I think a $15k car demands a NA Impreza. If you want to use a WRX, you should plan on spending $20k. If you get lucky, great, but you can't really plan to get lucky (if you could, I would have ALREADY won the lottery!)...
    Going NA is no guarantee of of staying under 15k either, unless you resist the urge to tweak the engine. In my NA project, I've added a set of cams and springs ($1000), stainless steel ceramic coated EL headers ($1000), ported and polished ceramic-coated intake manifold ($350), and a tuned ECU ($350). So I've already added nearly $3000 in upgrades. It would have been cheaper to have gone with a WRX, and then just leave it completely stock. And the result would have been faster. After I add in a 3k top, I'll be over 20k. And I'm still thinking about a Quaife LSD.

Still, the 15k build can be done, and I think it can be done with either a WRX or an NA donor, if one shops carefully and can exercise financial restraint. I don't know how to do that.

I suppose I could save some money by going with a white car rather than a blue one. I like pristine white, and I think this car will look good that way. If I stay with the blue, I will be obliged to two-tone it, generating at least another $1000 in expenses. But then, it really isn't about saving money. I'm building it the way I want it.

Post Thanks / Like
    The original concept Dave described to us was to offer us a $9000 kit,and add $5000 for a donor. Everything else,upgrades, taxes, delivery charges ect. Wasn't to be included in that $15000 cost to build, because those are variables which are different for every costumer. Can it be built for $15k, of course, but most won't be because it in our nature to improve on what's given to us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    I was thinking these front and rear

Attachment 17672
    Hi Wayne,

This is an interesting option as 6 pot big brakes up front are likely overkill and add unnecessary weight (and cost) for a car which is as light as the 818.

I see a complete Wilwood kit for the rear rotors which uses the Dynalite calipers, but have not found mounting information for using them on the front calipers. I like the aluminum hub on the Wilwood disks, and slotted disks but have heard many warnings about drilled rotors cracking with negligible weight benefit. Do you have a particular rotor set and mounting bracket source which you can share with us?

Thank you for your continued help!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I included all the cost related to a build (kit, donor needed parts, taxes on those items) under my total cost when I build something for myself. In the real world, yes it is true that that Dave said $9999 and a 5,000 donor to reach the 15k goal. If I was just building the car for a customer I would not count the tax, or delivery, that would be a given. I just want to get it out to the people that have not built a kit or a custom etc, that you have to figure it all in when it is your build or you can be very short on your total build estimate. My final "word to the wise" is that you need about 20k saved to build the 818. Oh and since we are way off on the thread topic I want white

50-08-04-13-17-10_0015-1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm tracking EVERY little expense, including any tools I need to buy for this project. I want to have a realistic picture of what it cost in the end. I agree with Metal (again) that there are a lot of small costs people don't factor in and it will cause the cost to creep.

So could someone do it for less than $15K? I absolutely think so. BUT human nature being what it is, I don't see that as very realistic for 99% of the people. And I think anyone considering building an 818 - or ANY kit car - should be aware of the likely reality, and not just the ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Xusia, We think on the same page here

I have an excel file going, I am at like 19k with kit and rising! I would post it, but my computer is failing me

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    ............. Oh and since we are way off on the thread topic I want white

50-08-04-13-17-10_0015-1.jpg
    Nice recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    +1 Xusia and Metalmaker

I have been carrying an estimate of about $20K for the car I want to build. I expect $15K is possible if a very tight rein is placed on extras, but not for the car I want to build.

Color Preference: Blue

818 Rear A.JPG

Handling:
    Koni suspension from FFR, clean suspension
    Aluminum control arms (it makes me smile)
    Wheels & Tires (TBD, some interesting Enkei group buys on NASIOC)

Control:
    Depowered Steering (welded)
    Depowered Brakes (Wilwood master cylinders)
    Balance Beam Brake Pedal
    Racelogic Traction Control

Safety:
    5 or 6 Point Harness
    Racing Seats (Support in hard cornering, make model TBD) (Also need more room than stock WRX seats will give me)
    Possible upgrade to Wilwood 4 Pots front and rear.
    HANS Device

Engine related:
    Timing belt, water pump (Gates racing kit)
    Valve cover gaskets
    Stainless header and up-pipe
    Stainless catted downpipe
    Titanium wrap
    New Radiator (I don't trust the donor one)
    Maybe an Air/Water Intercooler

Drive:
    Clutch- Easier to do before installing into 818

Down the Road:
    Removable Hardtop (when available)
    Wing and Splitter (will learn more from 818 wind tunnel and track testing)
    LED Tail Lights

Time savers if available:
    Factory Five 818 wiring harness (This would save time and eliminate weight quickly)

Cheers!
    Last edited by FFR-ADV; 05-22-2013 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Add Picture, +Racelogic

Post Thanks / Like
    I would rank the colors Blue, White, Red...but seeing how white is easier to tinker with and may therefore meet the needs of more people I'm thinking White, Blue, Red would be the best production roll out. very interested to see what the decision will be....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234