BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Stickie threads (WIKI) discussion thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Stickie threads (WIKI) discussion thread

Guys, I'm your huckleberry for this stuff. My thoughts: Rather than weigh down the thread list with a bunch of stickies though, we should start making use of the WIKI, which can be seen here:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/content.php?253-818

Just send me a link to the thread you want in the WIKI, and if the thread warrants it, I'll link it.

If I created a "Nominate thread for the WIKI" form would you guys use it? I could set it up to route directly to the mods instead of you guys having to send out a PM. And then we could stickie the Nomination form.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    cool... I would use this. I kept wondering when stuff would appear in the build wiki... would you clean up the threads as well?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I could... I would probably have to. For example, the lightweight wheel thread currently on the front page has a bunch of good info in it but now has a (typical) debate/discussion weaving through it. I'd have to cut out a lot of posts in order to pare it down.

The question of how heavily to cut down a WIKI thread is something I'm willing to have a discussion on. What do you think?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think I would be ruthless... if it doesn't add something significant to the discussion. trash it, just throw a link in there to the original thread for people who want to follow the entire discussion.

If someone at that point reads a post that was excluded and feels it adds to the article, they can let a moderator know.

Post Thanks / Like
    The list of sticky threads could get very long over time and maybe eventually bump the current threads off of the cover page. I propose that we just have one sticky thread that could contain links to other threads deemed worthy. So it doesn't get overwhelming, have it only editable by you, Dave. The list of links could be organized into as many categories and sub-categories as would be helpful. Each thread link could accompanied by a short summary. The list would be edited by Dave and evolve over time. People wanting to add a thread link to the list would submit a request to Dave via personal message along with a brief written summary of the thread and a suggestion of it's category.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bip, check out the link in post #1 to see my solution to sticky overload.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find much of the discussion education and would hate to see it cut. Why not take the salient information and put it into a separate thread or document - the purpose of which is strictly for the sticky? That way, discussions could continue in the normal thread, while good information is copied into the sticky thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    I still vote to have the 818 forum split into sections like you have in the wiki. for example, a section for brakes, suspension, tires and wheels, etc. Then we can sticky the important threads under each subforum. That way everything would stay organized and easy to find. Obviously we would still have a general 818 forum that could include whatever was related to the 818. If a thread turned out to be a good topic on a certain item it could then be moved into the right sub forum.

Grant

Post Thanks / Like
    Split it into sections AND fix the search function

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys, take a look at the 33 Hot Rod Thread and let us know if that's what you're looking for. I took a stab at putting this in last year using sub categories and it appears to be working better than a general search within forum. Adoption took about 6 months but I think people are liking it. We value your constructive input.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/forum...p?5-33-Hot-Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Guys, take a look at the 33 Hot Rod Thread and let us know if that's what you're looking for. I took a stab at putting this in last year using sub categories and it appears to be working better than a general search within forum. Adoption took about 6 months but I think people are liking it. We value your constructive input.
    I requested the 33 format a while back, some agreed, some didn't saying it would be too hard to remember where posts were. I think its a good idea. Although I think the wiki idea is a good one as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I find much of the discussion education and would hate to see it cut. Why not take the salient information and put it into a separate thread or document - the purpose of which is strictly for the sticky? That way, discussions could continue in the normal thread, while good information is copied into the sticky thread.
    It's not like the original posts would be nuked, I'm sure they would be linked from the wiki for further reading. The wiki would provide a quick shot of knowledge that's easy to find and could continue to lead you in the right direction if you needed more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always liked the idea of the wiki but when I went to use it, it seemed a bit cumbersome. It's not like a regular wiki but give it a try and if it's not working let us know and we can do sub categories to help people find stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    The way the 33 Rod forum is organized - that is, using sub-forums - is the standard way forums have been organized for over a decade, and to my thinking it's the most logical layout. If people are having trouble adopting it, it's probably because it's their first forum! I'm really not sure about the wiki format, but I'm certainly open to new ideas and would try it. WITHOUT *****ing, too! LOL

I will say, sub-forums provide the opportunity to have and inherently organize more stickies. To me, this means it's easier to find the relevant information you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    So is the wiki just a select list of threads or is there actually content stored in there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    So is the wiki just a select list of threads or is there actually content stored in there?
    It contains links to threads, plus the threads in the WIKI are converted into articles. You can see examples in the 818 link posted in the OP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, when I look at it, I see headlines down the left side, and on the right I see a wiki list with basically no content (1 item) followed by a list of recent posts. Maybe some content in the wiki area would help illustrate?

EDIT: Had a wrong word in the first sentence!
    Last edited by Xusia; 05-10-2013 at 11:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Dave, when I look at it, I don't see headlines down the left side, and on the right I see a wiki list with basically no content (1 item) followed by a list of recent posts. Maybe some content in the wiki area would help illustrate?
    I just promoted the Transmission 2.0 thread. You can see it in the articles list on the left, and a link to it in the Transmission / Driveline section of the WIKI on the right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am for the idea. A posted tutorial once complete would help!
    Mk 4 Roadster
    October 25, 2012 - Kit Arrives
    April 8, 2013 - Build Starts
    August 23, 2015 - Rolling Chassis/Engine & Transmission Installed
    March 26, 2016 - Go Cart

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David,

The suggestions are pretty good. From experience with document control: I would like to make another one. It is related to the way the files are arranged. I will use an example to demonstrate. I am interested in getting a longer UCA to adjust more castor into the front end align. So if I was looking for that, where would you categorize it? It could go under suspension but that is more general so if there was a category of special/racing alignment, it would accommodate those subjects. Most readers would never go there but the ones who needed it would not have to slog through the general files to find it. Brake bias is another subject that goes very deep. So maybe subfiles under brake bias like simple setup, Wilwood dual master, specialty devices, etc. I guess my pet peave is following a line or file path to a "dead end" or having to start over completely (caused by piling file over file without design in mind and very difficult to fix later). In the long run, it would make the database more manageable. Also, the suggestion of dieting the threads is a great idea (chop 'em). Thanks for your effort, WEK.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 05-11-2013 at 11:27 AM.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046