Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New possibilities for GTM # 71

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm afraid I really don't know it came with the Kit.
    Sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sk7500 View Post
    Air flow? Yarn tufts? What are you talking about? Lol! It just has to look cool for me. My solution to too much drag is add more motor.
    But seriously. These are shaped differently than the ones on our other car, but I can tell you that I can hear them whining at about 120. So they are catching some air and from the sound of it it's smooth air. The other cool feature of these scoops is they have an inner liner so it covers the stock window hole. So there is no need to glass it shut.
    Ha ha. Well I understand the looks cool goal. And you definitely have that covered. Actually your feedback is helpful. I'll do some testing. Which will probably just tell you what you already know . Your intakes work!

Thanks
    John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Bushing and pilot bearings

I had a four day weekend (sort of) and I thought i should install my motor and transmission in the car and get them out of the way. This was not to be. Seems I have somehow lost the left motor mount that bolts to the block and the rubber mount that attached to it. Found one on ebay and I bought the two rubber mounts Jayman 174 had in the classified section. So maybe next weekend.
    While I had the motor and trans on the table I decided to dry fit them together. Good thing I did. The pilot bearing bushing only engaged the pilot shaft about .100". In other words only the seal was engaged but that's about it. About 6 months ago I posted all the parts that came with the kit asking if I had everything. "Eric at Kit Car Chassis ([email protected]) said he made that kit and would help me with any questions I had. So I shot him an email and he was most helpful in walking me through what I needed to do. He even offered to make me the new bushing if I sent him the flywheel and the measurements. Well I had all the parts in front of me and a lathe so with his instruction I made my own bushing. Now everything is right in the world again.

BTW the 966 trans is much easier to install onto the throw out bearing that the G50.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by sk7500; 01-04-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while

Spent the weekend trying to tie all the loose ends up so I could take some full assembled pictures. Looks like it will probably be heading to Ebay in the next few days.

IMG_2630.JPGIMG_2671.JPGIMG_2642.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Wink #71 has a new owner

WOW! Can't believe it's been over 3 years since I've worked on this car. but then again lot's of stuff has happened in that time.

Back to the car. Great news for me, for a new owner and for the car. When selling GTM#12, I had great response. One interested party I talked to didn't win the bid, but I told him I had another car that still needed much loving. I told him what the car needed, what I had already done and what I still wanted to do. Namely the paint work. Everything worked out and a deal was made. I get to finish up the body and paint it. Then he will take over the project to finish up the Go kart, wiring and interior.
    I asked if I could continue this thread at least through the paint work. The new owner thought that would be a great idea.

So here we go!
    Last edited by sk7500; 10-10-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Working towards paint

Letting a car sit for years in primer is not such a great strategy. Found a quit a few things I'll need to address. Worked on the front nose opening and I got the body ready to pull off and place it on the paint buck. Probably have that done on Saturday.RF ready to pull body.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Off with the body

Made pretty good progress. lots of sanding dust in the shopIMG_1851.jpegIMG_1852.jpegIMG_1853.jpegIMG_1855.jpegIMG_1856.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like

Ready for paint.

Just need to check that the dash doesn't hit the pass door. If there's clearance, the next pictures should have some color.

Post Thanks / Like
    How did the fuel filler locations work as a lift point for the body? I haven't seen that before.
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    How did the fuel filler locations work as a lift point for the body? I haven't seen that before.
    It's almost the perfect balance point. The front needs a little lift. It allows me to remove and install the body slowly by myself without doing any damage.

Post Thanks / Like

Dash fit

I received the center dash piece yesterday. Center piece fit OK but the right pod needed the vinyl pulled back and the fiberglass trimmed to fit the console. The good news is that after the trimming, the door was able to close with minimal interference.
    I noticed that GTM #71 has no door stops built into the hinge. So I guess I'll have to build those before I paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy What a challenge

Started out spraying a good sealer coat of DP-90 epoxy primer. Sprayed the metallic base coat. Sprayed the pearl coat. Sprayed on a coat of inter coat clear to protect the red from the stripe taping. Laid out and sprayed the stripes. sprayed on 2 coats of the final clear. All of this went like clockwork. And everything looked great.

Then the trouble started. I should have just cut and polished the final clear but I like to sand everything and spray on a flowcoat. This USUALLY produces a smoother finish and it allows one to minimize the ridge the stripes produce. However when I sprayed on the flow coat I picked up contamination from somewhere and I was faced with a flow coat full of Fisheyes!! I've been fighting them ever since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that. Looks beautiful in the pictures.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Looks beautiful in the pictures.
    Ditto.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like

The end to an Era

I fought fisheyes until I rubbed through the paint in too many areas and the patchwork was not cutting it. I found that my Tractor Supply receiver dryer could not filter out all the oil/moisture that my old compressor was putting out. So all I needed to do was buy a new compressor, install a dryer from the paint store, Spend about three weeks re prepping and apply $1800 worth of new paint/materials and it looks great again. Not the way I wanted to end my relationship with GTMs, but it is what it is and I got to see my dream car in paint. Now its off to Nebraska where the new owner can finish up the electrical and interior. I think he'll be happy. I know I would be.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new owner is going to love it, Steve.
    So.. done with GTMs... what's next?
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12