Quote Originally Posted by Innkeepr View Post
... I really dislike using spacers. Maybe I am wrong, but I thought spacers transfer where the weight was hung on the mounting surface. Increasing the outward pressure on the studs vs the hub.
I was of the same mind till I understood what was going on and why. Slight spacing can be a great tool, as mentioned. All tires are not equal, especially in racing and DOT3 track tires. A 3-5MM spacer can work wonders. For me it allowed me to get the full negative camber I wanted without rubbing the springs and yet not getting into the fender and not having to buy new wheels. As you and everyone has noticed wheel manufacturers are not willing to build odd offsets or "ETs" for every situation. Rather than compromise the size, strength or weight just get spacers.
Don't buy crap, cast spacers and buy wheel-centric ones that will not cause an imbalance. Keep spacers to a minimum thickness. I'm still not a big fan of a joint (the wheel to spacer contact point) being way out on a wheel stud. You are adding another part and another contact surface and another pace for stacking of tolerances and balance issues. Yet, lots of people do it in racing!

Speaking of studs, don't skimp on thread contact when using a spacer. There are the long ARP (and competitive studs) and then there are some intermediate lengths to be had. I switched everything over to the more common 12 X 1.5 from 12 X 1.25. One to look for is ARP 100-7717, designed for the Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII. Beefier threads and many more options out there for lug nuts.