BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Road & Track eval of the 818R

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayT View Post
    Factory Five delivers super car performance on a beer budget.

MurrayT
    Wait, I have to give up my beer to get an 818?!? :P

On a more serious note, opening that article reminded me of opening my first R/C car, a Team Losi JRX2, as a kid with those graphics. Nice Job Factory Five, you've impressed the difficult to impress. Looking forward to my delivery at the end of the year. (Oh, finally, first post! Hi guys!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to read the article free on zinio.com by signing up for a 1-week trial of z-pass, or you can buy the issue for $5

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have google magazine app, just do the 14day trial of Road and Track to see the July issue right away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, you Hansen and Treves, its like Factory Five Royalty!!

Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Scott, I'll be there. Erik Hansen and I are arriving into Boston @ 5:30 and we are planning on meeting up with you guys at breakfast.

You gotta go!

MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Bought the dead tree version of R & T. Great article, fab graphics...! After reading the article, I finally called two folks in the car trade to find me a sweet 2006 Subie so I can start the teardown, after first driving it for few months.

Da Bear
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Two things I saw in the article,

Suspension mentions rear anti-roll bar... wonder if that's accurate.

Article confirms dash is fiberglass, not CF, minus the top that is.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    Not since Henry Ford has there been such an automobile entrepreneur/genius/hands-on enthusiast as you. You exemplify the American Dream.
    Trublue

Post Thanks / Like
    I think in the spy shots thread there was a pic of the anti-roll bar. Picked up the magazine today and pre-ordered my kit yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have the magazine in front of me but I recall it saying there was a "roll cage" in the R and not in the S. I understand they mean the extra reinforcement on the roll-protection on the R, but there is of course protection on the S obviously. Anyone have input as far as harness options? Planning on using race buckets, and hence not the standard seat belts...planned on 5 or 6 point, but I wonder if a 4 point is more appropriate without the extra rigidity in the S model.

Article was pretty awesome tho... I really liked the "Don't glue your fingers together" caption. Hah! Who hasn't done that?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only 4 point that is good is the Schroth 4pt ASM which I don't think is compatible with the 818 structure. A 5 or 6 is the way to go.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Good deal, 5/6 it is.

Also just (finally) put in my placeholder for the kit. Had been procrastinating thinking "I'll just wait a bit and maybe get more info on a coupe" but with Dave's commitment to a compatible hardtop it sealed the deal. No date yet, but estimate from tech support is I'll be into August of next year. Gives me plenty of time to gather extra fancy parts I'll try not to be consumed with jealous rage of everyone starting their builds this month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to see you jump in! Welcome...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    The only 4 point that is good is the Schroth 4pt ASM which I don't think is compatible with the 818 structure. A 5 or 6 is the way to go.
    Was planning to do a 5 or 6 point harness. Anyone ever have any problems getting this passed an inspecton or road side, "Do you know why I stopped you?".

Post Thanks / Like
    I was pulled over for not wearing my seat belt when I had my 4 point harness on. Cop never saw that, just the shiny buckle in the window. When he came over he started the whole "know why I pulled you over?" I said no, he states it's cause I wasn't wearing a seat belt. I look down, look at him, back down, back at him and he goes "yeah, I didn't see that. You probably can't get in and out of that too quickly can you?" "Nope" and I was on my way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, read the article and loved the images. This car is going to be a rockstar! dying to see the HARDTOP ideas as I believe it will sell like hot cakes as a coupe option.

LOVE the idea of an 818SR.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flytosail View Post
    Was planning to do a 5 or 6 point harness. Anyone ever have any problems getting this passed an inspecton or road side, "Do you know why I stopped you?".
    I went through a superbowl evening seatbelt check roadblock one night with my Schroth ASM harness. Guy looks at me, looks in the back window at the rest of the harness, looks at me, looks in the back window kind of befuddle again, then waves me on. :lol:

FWIW, only Schroth are truly road legal. I believe federal law requires belts that have a single button to undo them and are not cam lock. That said, I plan on doing a 5/6 pt myself.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 06-05-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just have cheap RCI latch 5 points that have served me well so far. I can get in and out rather quick. Those asm's are slick if you don't have the sub slot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JAubin View Post
    . . . with Dave's commitment to a compatible hardtop it sealed the deal. No date yet, but estimate from tech support is I'll be into August of next year.
    Any idea if it will be back compatible with the kits they've sold before then? That is, can I upgrade to a hard top after building one with a soft top? I'd love a hard top, but I don't want to wait that long to start building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    Any idea if it will be back compatible with the kits they've sold before then? That is, can I upgrade to a hard top after building one with a soft top?
    That's my basic understanding...tho I'm diving in knowing that there are unforeseen things that could make a hardtop not happen. See Dave Smith's comment #41 of this thread, he indicates it would be compatible with the current body shape. I'm implying that it means it'll work with the current design.... Maybe we can even hope it'll have a roof scoop ala an Exige to provide some air to the intercooler.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I'm sure glad I pre-ordered the week of the SEMA show! With a road test report like that, I'm betting that FFR is going to be SWAMPED with orders after the magazine hits the stands!!! Just WOW!
    I pre-ordered the day the article came out. I was going to wait for the open house, but was afraid the article might prompt a bunch of people to jump in line in front of me.

Me and a friend will be building the car. We and our wives are going to be at the open house and will also spend a few days sight-seeing in the area.

I look forward to meeting some of you at the open house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just read the R&T article. Very good write up. Jack always does a bang up job. One question. The hp/tq figures (estimates) have got to be way overstated. 0 - 100 in 9.9 and 100 to 120 in 5.1 in a 2000 lb race car? The last FF roadster I rode in would destroy this 818. Even with 300 lbs of driver and passenger, the 330 hp roadster was way faster than this. Maybe the 3.8 to 60 time would be the same, but after that, no way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A_C View Post
    Just read the R&T article. Very good write up. Jack always does a bang up job. One question. The hp/tq figures (estimates) have got to be way overstated. 0 - 100 in 9.9 and 100 to 120 in 5.1 in a 2000 lb race car? The last FF roadster I rode in would destroy this 818. Even with 300 lbs of driver and passenger, the 330 hp roadster was way faster than this. Maybe the 3.8 to 60 time would be the same, but after that, no way.
    What performance testing methods did you use on the 330 hp roadster you rode in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 818 destroys the challenge car at the track, and I think some of these times are not correct, plus it was 40-50 degrees when tested and the tires area made for at least 60-70 degrees to
    Hook up. I have asked FFR, and Dave said the 818 is much faster with the same hp and torque, and a much better track car. Don't get me wrong I am a huge roadster fan, and it is an awsome car etc, they just really engineered the 818 to be a fast little car.
    Remember the 33, roadsters, and Daytona running 11's with like 400 -500 horse, well the 818 will do the same plus some, it is about power to weight and gearing , and the Subaru turbo engine produces the same torque as hp.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 06-07-2013 at 04:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I couldn't understand a couple of the numbers in the print version of the article, 0-60 was 3.8 sec but 5-60 was 4.6 sec, why is it so? Am I missing something obvious?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DodgyTim View Post
    I couldn't understand a couple of the numbers in the print version of the article, 0-60 was 3.8 sec but 5-60 was 4.6 sec, why is it so? Am I missing something obvious?
    because racecar

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, i googled it... 0-60 is dumping clutch, 5-60 is roll on with clutch out

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah just messing around... figured it was a hard launch/launch control on boost. With warm pavement should be even faster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to the Author's Web Page with the R&T Article:

http://jackbaruth.com/?p=234

818test.jpg

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "a test of a car that rises, phoenix-like, from the ashes of crashed Subarus."

Great quote, but I hope nobody's inspired to paint a flaming chicken on the hood!

Firebird_Trans_Am_Logo_by_TheCarloos.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    Here is a link to the Author's Web Page with the R&T Article:

http://jackbaruth.com/?p=234

818test.jpg

Cheers!
    Is that the entire review & article ?? I was anticipating it would be several pages plus...........

Post Thanks / Like
    No it's not the entire thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    Is that the entire review & article ?? I was anticipating it would be several pages plus...........
    They are selling them at wal-mart now. first place I saw it. Go pick it up, its worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a subscription to several car mags Road & Track being one of them. Every month I see the new issue on the news stand weeks before I get it at home. Not sure who to be mad at , R&T or snail mail.LOL Thats my rant for the day. ahhh feel better now. By the way I read the article at the grocery store last week, FFR should enlarge the road test page to poster size and put it in their catalog for sale. I'd buy one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The article is longer. I think it has an extra page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Turboguy,

The author indicated on the webpage that there would be more pictures in the printed version but I cannot comment beyond that since I have not seen it yet. Does anyone know if there are new pictures which are not from the Factory Five website? Was there any more text?

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    Hi Turboguy,
    Does anyone know if there are new pictures which are not from the Factory Five website? Was there any more text?
    Cheers!
    The image is only that portion of the article on pages 72 & 73 from the magazine; the article starts on page 68. So, yeah, there's a lot more to read and see in the full print version!

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome - going to pick up a copy of R&T today!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they posted the full article for anyone who hasn't picked up the mag yet. http://www.roadandtrack.com/features...embly-required

Post Thanks / Like
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7iQ...it?usp=sharing

Here's the entire issue in PDF format - I'll leave it available for a few days. The page below was left off the article as published online above.

818.jpg
    Last edited by pondo; 06-12-2013 at 09:16 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast