BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: windshield options & part swapping

Post Thanks / Like

windshield options & part swapping

Will the 818r come with the option to add a full front windshield? Or maybe the 818s can come with the options to add over parts from the R (rear bumper, front spoiler, cage, etc..) ? Theres things I like from both. Im looking to build a street/track car and I like what the 818r has to offer but the front glass wouldnt work on the street for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    The options page is not yet complete, however, it has been stated verbally that pretty much any 818R parts that are compatible with the 818S chassis will be available. The 818R chassis is different, so we don't know exactly what would be involved in modifying it for street use. Therefore, if you are building a street legal car, the simplest route would be to use the 818S chassis, and fit it with 818R parts. Addressing your questions specifically about 818R on an 818S:
    Bumper - Same part with different holes cut, so should be no problem.
    Front Spoiler - Already stated it will be availble for the 818S
    Cage - You would most likely be on your own here. It begs the question, what exactly is your goal? The 818S chassis is very rigid and decently protective without the added bits of the 818R. The 818R chassis is more protective, sure, so it boils down to how much protection you want and the effort you are willing to go to for that extra protection.

Post Thanks / Like
    The challenge car is available with a windshield as an option, I would imagine that the 818r would follow the same sort of street compatible options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys for the info. The car will be a track car half the time and a weekend driver the other half. Just trying to find that fine line between the 2 and find out some more specs. Im naturally drawn to the aggressiveness of the R. The cage being a plus for extra protection. It looks like I will have to wait for more specs to be released and keep researching. I must of missed that they both have a different chassis, good to know. Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    The chassis aren't TOTALLY different - it is the same basic design, but with the addition of the cage and changes to accommodate things like the gas tank in the passenger seat, the air intake, etc. Therefore we don't know what 818S parts might not work. In any case, it seems far more likely to me you'll be able to make an 818S look like and 818R, than it is you'll be able to make an 818R have all the street going bits you may want.

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer the R no doubt, the cage is a big deal, however getting in & out is a little tough. My daughter often climbs over the doors in my roadster to get in, this car is lower.
    My question, The doors are all but useless in the R, but will they open? The cross-bar will be removable for passenger seat
    I would like to deck-out the R very much like the S, but with the R cage. The ventilated rear is a plus for me. The tank (I heard) was not the permanent location on the R, it belongs in the front.
    I prefer to wait and get it the way I want and see how the first ones evolve and solve some of these problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Indeed. There is a lot unknown.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I see no reason why you couldn't make the r's doors open. It looks to be the same pieces.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if the door could be made to open, you'll still need to climb over the side roll bars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I see no reason why you couldn't make the r's doors open. It looks to be the same pieces.
    What if they simply didn't include the door hinge mounts on that frame...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    What if they simply didn't include the door hinge mounts on that frame...?
    RIGHT !!!!!!!
    $pecial order
    It would be much less trouble (for a passenger too) to open the door and climb over the roll bar e.g. foot on the bar instead of kicking the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    We really need to see the production 818R frame. For we know there could be tons of incompatibilities. Or none at all...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Why must you guys beat something to death if it just makes no sense. The R's doors will not be designed to open, and why would you want to when you have to jump over the cage.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    Why must you guys beat something to death if it just makes no sense. The R's doors will not be designed to open, and why would you want to when you have to jump over the cage.

We have a winner and the blue you are basing your observations on is THE prototype and test mule. I know lots of things about the blue 818R are different from the 818s production car that will be unveiled at the open house.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    OK , so how about 5 MPH bumpers and those lights in the wheel wells that flicker to deep base from my stereo? Wayne ?
    That's BLUETOOTH stereo
    Wayne, in that pic of you breaking bolts on the cam...... You look a little like the guitarist from AC/DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't think its being beaten to death. It's certainly not another "when is the coupe coming out thread"

I'm not arguing with you but it is easier to get into a Miata with a full cage, whose doors open then one with welded doors. It's a much shorter step and avoids having to stand on the seat. Perhaps the 818 will be the same way. All we have until the open house is friendly discussion and speculation.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 06-05-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is what I feel too. I would rather step on a roll bar. Some of us have certain disabilities. I'm Italian, so there's not a lot of room when swinging my legs over - if you know what I mean.
    I get arrested if I wear shorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am just saying, how is it going to help if the doors open, DownloadedFile-1.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am just saying, how is it going to help if the doors open, DownloadedFile-1.jpeg

open door, climb right in. looks like a jungle gym to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    If opening the door is to save the finish of the door,then it's understandable. A lot of work for how much benefit? It's your call.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    When I learn more about this car, i will make my choice. There was a pic of the door jam- it was scraped up and quite wide like a gull-wing mercedes
    A lot of distance to cover if your a shorter person. I personally want a full cage for street. If I build this car it will be exactly the way I want it, not much give & take.
    I plan on spending a lot, this is my retirement project, so I will spoil myself and plan on spending way more than I could sell it for (typical) Dunnit before.....
    I'm looking at a dry sump system too - it's a toy, period. Over the years seeing all the great ideas and innovations the Roadster has brought is my inspiration.
    The 33 is just off the charts as far as ideas that have come forth.
    After several builds, the attitude will change on this car as you will see great ideas some guys will come up with, and new parts ! I don't see just 2 models here, I see a lot of fun the best way we know how.
    The last thing I want to do is finish first, it's the build that is fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure why anybody would be getting all worked up about the idea of opening doors on an R. stepping over a 2" bar is one thing, stepping over a 6" wide door is quite another. heck i cant imagine that the door it self will would be able to support anybody's weight, would suck to crush a panel just because its awkward to step over...

in anycase, remember this is a kit car, so long as the door still comes as a separate piece/body panel, YOU CAN make it open.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    What makes the 818 so exciting for me is the fact that this project is limited only by ones imagination,and of course the laws of physics. Lol What makes the people here in this community so great is there's no lack of imagination. That talent I have no doubt will produce some really cool cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted these photos some months back in one of the many hardtop threads. Thought this might be an interesting mod one could do for a street version of the 818r. I really like aspects of of both models.....so many choices, so little cash!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I see using the cage on the door as a "Ladder" to get out
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lol

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I suspect, just like my roadster, you can just step right in a sit down. the beltline height should be very low................
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is so easy to step in, the upper bar is perfect to grab and jump in

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping for fixed doors to reduce long term rattle & fatigue. I'm planning on some clear bra material on top as well as where I tend to hit cones (entire right side of the car on bad days). I'm also hoping for option to swap back & forth between both types of windshield. I plan on driving my 818R street & track (all compromises for side of track not comfort of street). If you are worried about rain wear goggles, worried about heat wear a coat.I also drive a company suv with free gas so my needs are different from most. I'm sure factory five will amaze us at providing all we need to build what we want. This whole launch is so well thought out & full of passion from everyone it won't fall short of spectacular.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I remember someone mentioning that the chassis member which crosses where the passenger seat sits may be removeable? Does anyone know if that is the case? If not, I wonder if perhaps you could special order an 818r chassis without that chassis member so that you can run a passenger seat (rather than grinding it out later).

To me that would be ideal, the torsional stiffness and safety of the r chassis but the ability to have two seats.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to paint mine orange, and add a roof so I can paint a flag on it. I figure that will make me feel right at home going through the window to get in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skiridedrive View Post
    i think i remember someone mentioning that the chassis member which crosses where the passenger seat sits may be removeable? Does anyone know if that is the case? If not, i wonder if perhaps you could special order an 818r chassis without that chassis member so that you can run a passenger seat (rather than grinding it out later).

To me that would be ideal, the torsional stiffness and safety of the r chassis but the ability to have two seats.
    <http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Interlocking-I.D.-Tube-Clamp-p-66.html>
    camburg.com
    Last edited by THE ITALIAN; 06-07-2013 at 04:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ITALIAN View Post
    <http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Interlocking-I.D.-Tube-Clamp-p-66.html>
    camburg.com
    Thanks. So I'm assuming that would mean cutting out the tube and having to weld the bungs onto the end of each section. Personally I think if I am going to be cutting the tube out myself I'll probably just get rid of it for good. Still means I would be tearing up the nice powder coat from F5 though.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
    Thanks. So I'm assuming that would mean cutting out the tube and having to weld the bungs onto the end of each section. Personally I think if I am going to be cutting the tube out myself I'll probably just get rid of it for good. Still means I would be tearing up the nice powder coat from F5 though.
    I wouldn't take it out for good. FFR put it there for a reason. WHen you are on the track, you won't have a passenger(if you intend to "track" it) so I would consider these interlocks. Also IF someday you sell it, you just added an option. I would imagine, for a fee, maybe FFR could weld this on to your order.Just wrenching on the car would make this removable cross bar a charm.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe FFR mentioned removing crossbrace from production. Maybe it will be an option. Powdercoat I believe is also an option not standard. I bet a lot of 818Rs get delivered without coating unless viable tie downs & tow hooks are added. Most of us will rattlecan or use spray on or roll on rust inhibitor. I personally would like powdercoat, but only if everything needed for track use is added. I do like the tube clamps. The 818S is the bread & butter its understandable we need to be more patient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    The chassis aren't TOTALLY different - it is the same basic design, but with the addition of the cage and changes to accommodate things like the gas tank in the passenger seat, the air intake, etc. Therefore we don't know what 818S parts might not work. In any case, it seems far more likely to me you'll be able to make an 818S look like and 818R, than it is you'll be able to make an 818R have all the street going bits you may want.

Does anyone know if this aspect has been finalized? It could be nice to have a passenger seat at the odd lapping day.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It will not have the cross bar and will allow for a passenger seat. The Fuel cell will make it into a single seater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne - why the decision not to have the cross bar? Is it not needed for stiffening?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    Wayne - why the decision not to have the cross bar? Is it not needed for stiffening?
    The cross bar could be added for the dedicated race car but the average track car will need a spot for the instructor to sit. The chassis is plenty stiff without the single diagonal bar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    The cross bar could be added for the dedicated race car but the average track car will need a spot for the instructor to sit. The chassis is plenty stiff without the single diagonal bar.
    would that also require relocation of the fuel cell?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast