Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Speaker Location

Post Thanks / Like

Speaker Location

Does anyone have any suggestions/pictures on speaker placement? I had the rear upper corner of the door picked out and now realize (FFR Tech) that this will most likely interfere with the windows. FFR recommended behind the seats in the waterfall (down low), this seems like a great place and out of the way...anyone done this with pictures? What do you guys think?

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are aluminum panels in the side corners of the rear of the interior. These are just below the hinge brackets for the doors. I mounted mine there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any sort of full range speaker behind the seats will be unnoticeable at speed. All the highs and mids will be blocked. I had my 6" full range speakers in the lower front part of the doors and I wish I had mounted them in the top of the door where others are doing it. To give you an idea, 700W with two 6" Kicker coax and an 8" sub were barely enough to hear with the top off going over 40MPH. With it on, it was okay. There's just a lot of noise in the cabin so get the highs and mids as close to your ears as you can.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Realizing that you are asking about the '33, we mounted a pair of 6" round 3-ways to the rear cockpit wall almost even with top of the seats. We are running a 300watt amp in our Roadster and yes, you do lose a lot of the highs etc. at speed. But, it does help hold off the boredom of just driving and listening to the wind noise.

You can also experiment with ear plugs to see if you can hear the tunes better by blocking some of the wind noise. Just be careful about running afoul of your States laws.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone...after hearing everything I've heard. I think I'm going with two Kicker 6.5's in the waterfall almost level with the top of the seats and centered over the trans tunnel. I'm also going to flush mount the component tweeters in the waterfall near the outside corners (left & right). I'll post pics once its complete, equipment should arrive tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a reason why Miatas come with headrest speakers...

Post Thanks / Like
    Any pics of speaker installs yet?
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    This orientation worked out fairly decent. I listened to Ray and Erik and kept the speakers high and tweeters close to ear level. You can see the passenger side tweeter is flush mounted in the waterfall. This will work out nicely once the waterfall is wrapped in leather and finished. speakers.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike.

On another point (if you know) i can see your waterfall is like mine in that it flares out at the lower inside corners; away from the aluminum back panel. Why is that?... I haven't stop to think that through yet.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know...never really made note of it until now that you mention it. How well does yours fit flat against the door jamb at the top? Where it takes the 90 degree turn into the door jamb, mine is about 1/4-3/8 in. away at the top. Any solutions other than cutting it and reglassing?

Post Thanks / Like
    My body is not on so i cant tell you about the gap at the top back... But from when I prefitted the body and firewall... All was well. Same goes for how it fits at the door jambs. Its just the flared out bottom on the waterfall that has me perplexed.
    FFCars - lowntubd

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdnik View Post
    My body is not on so i cant tell you about the gap at the top back... But from when I prefitted the body and firewall... All was well. Same goes for how it fits at the door jambs. Its just the flared out bottom on the waterfall that has me perplexed.
    Mine was a little off at the bottom. But I was able to pull it in with my screws.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an old thread, but has anyone thought about installing speakers on either side of the gauge cluster in the dash? I've seen a 4" round gauge that had multiple gauges built in and then another one for the speed and tach, with two 4" gauges, there would be plenty of room to install a component set on either side. They would be facing you so they should be able to be heard at any speed ( like on the Harley motorcycles with the fairing). Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    good idea Dean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 6.5 in the footwell but I'm not liking them, you have to crank it to hear them and they interfere with the dead pedal

I'm about to put a couple 4 inch coaxials or something similar in the dash, the doors are molded to make it difficult to fit in decent speakers. I'll be adding head rest speakers like on my Miata, they work so well being right behind your head
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14