Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bob's build

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy cow, that's a lot of fan for that small a space. Puts some more 2x4's up to support the plastic and switch to a couple of "disposable" window fans from Walmart. Then consider pushing the air in through heat pump filters instead of sucking it in (you may already be set up like that, I can't tell.. Better for dust control. Not how I did mine, but how I would the next time. :-)
    Bill
    '33HR #522, LS3, TKO 500, Boyd's Tank, QA1 Shocks, Double Roll Bars

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about that and I just cant see blowing a fan right on my work...even though it might keep dust out better. The space is about 16x13x8...and based on the CFM rating of the fan on max it exchanges all the air like 5x a min but there is no breeze or anything. I have a 4x8 intake filter using tacky 20x20 paint booth filters. Maybe I will just try to turn it down a little and make sure it is sealed better. I do have 2x2's and 2x4's supporting everything for the most part..it is pretty rigid though.

I think the big thing is I didn't wet the floor....we will see what round 2 brings tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck. Glad to see a fellow brave soul doing their own paint. I just got some disposable painters tarps from Lowes for the floor. here's my space after I got done - under the covered deck with two brick walls already there.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Last edited by TigerBill; 04-28-2015 at 08:05 PM.
    Bill
    '33HR #522, LS3, TKO 500, Boyd's Tank, QA1 Shocks, Double Roll Bars

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I could have done something like that a little more sturdy but I am in the Navy and transferring soon..and the house is going to be shown soon..so had to be as temporary as possible..and easy to throw away when I am done since bringing building materials with me is difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the dust a little more under control by spraying the floor with water and lowering the flow rate of my fan BUT now I have some solvent pop issues so I will have to reclear the top and hood. Oh well..it is a learning process

With me hard at work..lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Great progress!! I'm picking up all kinds of useful tips here. Especially your sub box, I've been scratching my head on how to install many extras on my list of extras.

Thanks for your continued service!!!! Coming from a retired Army CPT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks man...I appreciate it. I am a Submarine/Nuclear LT...hopefully retired after this next tour

Yeah..there is actually a ton of room under the gas tank if you get creative.

Oh...sneak peak on the body...

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good in that southern sun!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by erlihemi View Post
    Looks good in that southern sun!!
    Thanks...I am actually bringing it back up northeast in a month when I transfer to CT...so I am scrambling to get it done

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. Love the blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally done with the paint and the paint booth is torn down. Been kinda slow and a learning process but it wasn't bad at all really. I think it came out pretty damn good for my first paint job..in my garage. I started in on cutting and buffing some of the panels and they are coming out fantastic actually...very easy to work with. I am using trizact 1500, 3000,(have 5000 but havent used it yet) on a da..and the Meguiars 1 step compound/polish and they are so easy to use..highly recommend.

Sorry for the crappy pix. After these I will quit boring everyone with pix until it is together lol.

Front of the dash after cut and buff. This was very textured before...

This took me like 5 minutes and only to the first stage of buffing

Post Thanks / Like
    Your build is looking great. I am curious about the efi system you are using. Is it an OBD2 system?

Post Thanks / Like
    No..it is the quick fuel QFI system. It is a pretty solid setup I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Body is on..still have a lot of work to do and have to put on the doors and chin. Sorry for the crappy pix..it was almost dark when I was done. I will get more pix when the doors are on and glass installed.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!! That blue is awesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Job Bob!
    Looks good from here.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That blue looks fantastic on there! Great job.
    Please post more pictures, really enjoying your build thread and great seeing it in the home stretch!

And thanks for your service.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the props

Well it is back on the road. I got the glass installed and put everything back together. I still need to do the interior work and a bunch of aligning and tweaking to do. Still need to get the EFI running right but it is getting there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow looks great Bob. Are you running 17's and 18's? What did you end up doing with the grill? Powdercoat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep..boss eagle 18 and 17's. I haven't done anything with the grill yet. I am probably going to pull it off and paint the outside and polish the bars on it after I move to CT. I have enough to get done in the mean time. I still have a bunch of cutting and buffing to do and a few chips already to address.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks awesome! Great Job!

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful Bob, nice looking car. Mine is the same state as it was a year ago. Hopefully going to make some progress soon. Can't wait to see it completed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just figured I would post a little update. I am more or less wrapped up with the interior..and it is for sale now....

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Bob...sure you want to sell it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Eh..yes and no. On one hand I would love to keep it but for the next 3 years I am not going to have a lot of time being back on a submarine..on the other hand I would still like to have another project..who knows. If I get a good offer I will let it go..otherwise I still have a bad *** car in my garage

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

I have really enjoyed watching your build progress. What a beautiful car!
    One question please. You never mentioned the application of anything like Lizard Skin to control heat and noise. Did you use Lizard skin?
    If not, can you comment on heat and noise issues. I did see that you used Dynomat. I am at the point now and must make a decision soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually used several things. On the bottom I used a DEI thermal barrier right over the mufflers. I also applied a paint containing ceramic on both sides of the aluminum. Then I applied Lizard skin on the inside..in addition to Cool-it by thermo tec on the inside..no heat problems whatsoever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob,

Thanks for your prompt reply. The DEI thermal barrier right over the mufflers sounds like a great idea. Thanks again,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Car is sold..going to the new owner in a couple weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Bob, bitter sweet I'm sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks and sounds great Bob. First of all thank you for your service second you did a great job!

Post Thanks / Like
    So I ended up returning the guys deposit because he wasn't going to be able to register it (Mass changed their laws to be a PITA to register an already built car)...so it is back up for sale. I have been out to sea..but I am back now if anyone is interested

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123