FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bob's build

Post Thanks / Like

Bob's build

So I have been lurking on the forums for years and finally took the plunge. I am in the Navy and haven't really been able to stay in one place long enough to allow me to build..but I have the time now.

Kit is scheduled to be delivered Friday..unfortunately that is the day I am going on vacation for 10 days..ugh

I started off by buying a donor 92 mustang GT and pulled the motor, transmission, and rear end and rebuilt them all.

IMAG0137.jpgIMAG0142.jpgIMAG0152.jpgIMAG0203.jpgIMAG0204.jpgIMAG0261.jpgIMAG0262.jpg

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Boy that looks like me a few months ago. Best of luck with your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well this isn't starting off great. Delivery was supposed to be today but is delayed to tomorrow..during a tropical storm..right when Im supposed to be leaving on vacation. I had a friend that was supposed to accept it for me but he fell through...we will see how this goes...grrr..

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!!!! Your doing a donor build, there are a few more parts from the donor that you'll be needing, keep the carcass..........
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carcass is gone. I traded it for over 2K in parts..and probably sold another 2000 off it..so I pretty much got the engine/trans/rear for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Thats what I did with my donor, sold off parts and donor parts for free. Where u located ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Summerville,
    SC

Post Thanks / Like
    Well...worked out fine..glad to have it home

IMG_4233.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell us some about your proposed build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well here is a little about what I have been working on. I rebuilt the engine out of the 92 GT with GT40P heads, E303 camshaft, ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, and new keith black .30 over pistons. I decided to swap out the EFI for carb so I am running an Edelbrock performer RPM intake and a street demon carb.

I also rebuilt the transmission (first time trans build)...so we will have to see how that goes.

I will be running A/C and possibly power steering down the road.

Still looking for a good deal on some wheels and tires but I would like to run a 17/18 combo...we will see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a little update. Since I was delayed on the front suspension (FF sent me 2 drivers side upper control arms).. I decided to tackle the rear suspension.

Question: Is it normal to have extra hardware left over? I have a tube and several nuts and bolts that really didn't seem to go anywhere?...IMAG0286.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    And another pic after I pulled it in the garage...the boyd tank is pretty sweet

On another note..I think I will have to get it on the wheels soon because after I put the rear end and gas tank in it was a bit too heavy and broke my rollers...

IMAG0288.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbksv View Post
    Just a little update. Since I was delayed on the front suspension (FF sent me 2 drivers side upper control arms).. I decided to tackle the rear suspension.

Question: Is it normal to have extra hardware left over? I have a tube and several nuts and bolts that really didn't seem to go anywhere?...IMAG0286.jpg
    I had lots of spare hardware left on my build so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its on the ground...wheels look good. Also have the engine mostly together..have a few things to fix. I broke a bolt off in the head for the valve cover and one of my intake bolts doesn't seem to line up..just keeps stripping out. Hopefully I can get the firewall done in the next couple days then the hard lines..so I can get the engine and transmission in. We will see..my wife is being induced tomorrow morning so I may have to take a little time off.IMAG0309.jpgIMAG0310.jpgIMAG0320.jpgIMAG0311.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it has been a little while since I updated this since I have had my hands full with a newborn. I was finally able to finish the engine and get both the engine and transmission in. Starting to look like a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Nothing like getting that motor in to get the juices flowing!

Post Thanks / Like
    After seeing Wallace18's 33 in person made me think I should do a '33 rather than an 818. Haven't made up my mind yet - have to get a ride from wallace18 and get him to give my wife one too. The top, A/C and trunk make me think the '33 is more practical for what I want to do.

Great seeing your progress! Look forward to seeing how it comes together.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just figured I would update this thread since its is my build thread. I got the car started up and ended up getting water in the oil. I pulled the intake off and reinstalled..clearing up the water issue.

Anyways, here are a couple videos of the car idling after the last time

20131202_175730_zpsd15072d5.mp4 Video by bbkkssv | Photobucket

20131202_173348_zpsff3f9da0.mp4 Video by bbkkssv | Photobucket

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finally finished installing my throttle cable and was testing it in the garage..when I decided to just roll it back and forth. I was planning on doing a bunch more before I actually drove it..but I couldn't resist..so I rolled it down the driveway and still couldn't resist..so I kept going down the street Actually couldn't go too far because I didnt have lights but there are pretty much no cars on my street so I went down a couple houses and there was a charger in front of me. I go down a couple more houses and turn around. Uh oh! Charger is a cop! lol...he didn't do anything and I went home and parked it in the garage

Here is kind of a crappy video but you get the idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctPFU-PY9sM

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet all the cop could see was that beautiful grill behind him. Congrats!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I read that you had an issue with your ebrake cables, as did all of us. I along with others had to extend the bracket downward to lower the cable attachment point. Hope this helps. Evan

image.jpg

Here's what another person did.

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks...I think I mostly have the e brake figured out. I ended up just buying the lokar brake cable kit but then I ran into the problem of the block that connects the cables to the handle hitting the rear mount. So I just cut the rear brake mount and curled the bottom part of the bracket with a hammer..clears fine now.

20140209_123924_zps56ddae79.jpg
    20140209_123934_zpsb65a5c74.jpg

Also about to attack the wiring..what a mess!! Sorry about the crappy pic.
    20140209_123945_zpsa4012a37.jpg

Mocked up the billet gauge panel..should look nice I think
    20140207_211626_zps193276ac.jpg

Body temporarily mounted..yes that battery box is temporary.
    20140126_172232_zps0962f03f.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another short video with the body temporarily mounted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple pix of the QA1's installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Making good progress Bob, sounds good too.
    Nevin, AKA H. R. Lucky
    33 Hot Rod sn 524 build started 3/18/2013, First Start-5/09/2015, Go Cart-6/01/2015
    5.0 Coyote engine, 9in. Ford rear, 4 Link, Wilwood 12in. front brakes
    AC, power steering, FFR 17/18in. Hot Rod wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the windshield installed and gauge panel. I am going to start working on the doors. I got the delrin bushings from Tim so I should have some feedback soon on those. Here are a few updated pix.

I test fit the hood and for some reason the hood looks a little shorter than everyone elses. Easy fix but kinda weird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks really good Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well progress has been very slow since I work 70+ hours a week..however that should be changing soon so hopefully I can get moving. I got the drivers side door on but still can't get the latch to get that second click. I'm tired of messing with it right now so I am going to take a break and work on something else. Anyways..here are a couple pix of it outside. It was a gorgeous day.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know these may be simple ideas and maybe you already know but here's some thoughts. As far as the hood being short, you're grille cant appears too vertical, canting it back will take up the hood fitment slack. I found that watching the door latch operate from the opposite side with a high powered flashlight revealed some issues I was unaware of. She's looking good and sounds good !!
    Last edited by Boz1911; 05-08-2014 at 07:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Boz. I think the issue is actually the striker isn't far enough to the outside of the car still but I already have a nice oblong ugly hole for the striker. It is just frustrating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its amazing what a little sunshine does...it looks great Bob!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmm. That billet dash panel looks familiar
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I know it has been quite a while since I have updated this thread but I didn't get a lot of work done over the summer. It was hard to get motivated when it takes about 10 seconds in the garage to get completely soaked from the South Carolina heat.

It has finally cooled down and I am back at it. I took the body off to finish up most of the mechanical work and wiring. Almost done with the A/C install. The electric power steering is done and makes the ride SO much nicer..highly recommended. Anyways..here are a few pix of progress...

Billet A/C control installed.

20140911_164343_zpsc89364b6.jpg

This is the color scheme I am thinking...dark blue metallic on the bottom and black on top..probably more gloss.

20140910_161008_zpsa9d1d276.jpg

New optima battery and holder.

20140910_160543_zps3f3f00a2.jpg

I ended up having to put the coolant reservoir on the drivers side firewall since the passenger side was taken up by the A/C bulkhead fitting.

20140907_172504_zps4e7c8ef3.jpg

A/C condenser brackets fabricated (PITA) and mounted along with the fan shroud.

20140907_172459_zps77a66cd7.jpg
    20140907_172453_zpsf5fc0fc5.jpg

Installing the transmission tunnel and A/C evap

20140907_172438_zpsa98d493f.jpg

Had to modify the fan shroud on the bottom so that it would clear the control arm bolts. I just used some angle stock.

20140826_174129_zpsbebbb4b0.jpg

Headlights installed and headlight fluid filled

20140805_153646_zpse8c9e106.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great work! Did you fabricate the battery mount or was that available to purchase? I will put my battery in the trunk. Anything I cobble together will not look nearly that good. Thanks, Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I fabricated it lol..I'm not that good yet. It was about 60 bucks on ebay..good piece and looks great.

Starting to fit up body panels to start doing body work. The hood fits like garbage. To get both the center to line up with the center of the grill and both half moons to line up there is almost a 7/8" gap on the passenger side.

Got the trunk hinges and trunk lid set up..it should fit much better than the hood..just need to set the gaps and raise the deck height a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Bob, it's looking good. Your grill has some adjustment in the tilt forward and backward. I had to adjust mine and unfortunately had to replace my upper radiator hose due to the adjustment. You might be able to make up some of that gap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not so much the adjustment forward and aft. To get the half moons and the center hump to line up it leaves a gap. I messed around with trimming the drivers side aft side to see if it would clear it up (and then I would just glass the front) with no look. It just looks like its twisted a couple degrees. It won't be too difficult to fiberglass the gaps..just something I don't want to deal with right now. I just want to get this driving

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have been pretty bad about updating this thread. I keep the other forum more up to date since this place is more of a ghost town but I will catch up a little. Started to do the body work which has been fun (for some reason I enjoy it)..

Had some hood fitment issues that I have mostly straightened out. I also cut the nose cone in half and reglassed it for a better fit. Filled in some of the excessive gaps after I had adjusted the grill as much as I could.

The top of the doors also needed a bunch of work..which is ongoing but they are looking better.

I also got the wife to buy off on upgrading to EFI so I ordered the QFI stand alone EFI system and I am just waiting to take off the body to install that. Also ordered the digital guard dog IKEY RS system for a RFID/keyless push button remote start system.

I ended up ditching the trunk latch system in favor for mini latches in the corners. I will probably install some sort of e-lock on the trunk to wire up with the IKEY system.

Here are some pic of the door fixes. Even with the half moons lined up they still fit like crap so I had to modify a little.

Here are some of the modifying the chin

Post Thanks / Like
    And the hood

The rear of the doors

Still have some work to do here but looking better. I ended up sanding the rear quarter down a little while building up the door a little to make them meet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast