Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Texas Registration Completed

Post Thanks / Like

Texas Registration Completed

I just registered my roadster a couple of weeks ago in Ellis County (Waxahachie). Used the Street Rod approach and it was pretty painless. Preparation is the key. Do not go to the registration office and ask them what you need to do. You may not like the answer. There are several ways to license a vehicle and the Custom/Street Rod approach is new to them. Suggest you go the DMV website (TxDMV - Home), do a search, and get 3 documents:
    1.) Motor Vehicle Registration Manual, Section 21.2 - Classic Motor Vehicles and Travel Trailer;Custom Vehicles;Street RodsThe Custom Vehicle and Street Rod portion should be studied carefully.
    2.) Registration and Title Bulletin - #004-12 - "Custom Vehicle" and "Street Rod" Program, dated March 29, 2012. Do a search for RBT's. This doc tells you all the steps and documentation you will need.
    3.) Frequently Asked Questions about the Custom Vehicle and Street Rod Program - You will find this as an attachment in the RBT's. This document is important in that it states that annual inspection stickers are not required.

After reviewing these docs my approach was:
    1. Had inspection performed by ASE certified technician who sighned form VTR-852.
    2. Obtained safety inspection sticker - even tho this is not required, I figured the $14.50 was easier than explaining the law to every policeman who stopped me for no safety sticker. Your choice.
    3. Obtained certified weight certificate at local truck stop. Should have done this before the safety inspection as the inspector asked what the weight of the car was. He didn't argue when I told him I didn't have it yet, and he left that field blank.
    4. Prepared a document package with the following:
    a) RTB #004-12 (noted above)
    b) FAQ (noted above)
    c)Completed VTR-852 (noted above)
    d)MSO from FFR
    e)Receipt for motor
    f) Receipt for Trans
    g)Photo of trans S/N
    h)VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement
    i)Tracing of motor S/N and form VTR-301
    j)Photo of motor S/N
    k)Tracing of frame S/N and form VTR-301
    l) Photo of Frame S/N
    m)Weight certification
    n) Form 130-U Application for Texas Certificate of Title
    0) 3 photos of car -front, side, & rear views
    p) photo of Shelby Cobra from internet
    q) Insurance card

Made of copy of all of the above for my records and went to the auto registration office. I walked in, showed them the document package, and stated I wanted to register and license my vehicle per the Street Rod Approach (showing them the RTB Bulletin and pointing out all of the documents that it references.) The lady said "I wish everyone who came in here was this prepared.", and about 20 minutes later I had my registration sticker and temporary tag. The final tags came 1 1/2 weeks later. During the process I mentioned that I had paid sales taxes, as applicable, on all of the parts as I built the car and stated I didn't feel I needed to pay additional sales tax. She check with someone in the office, agreed with me, and just charged for the registration and title fees. About 100 bucks.
    Prior to this I had visited the office on 2 other occasions trying to get a temporary permit so that I could drive the car to the inspection and weigh stations. I got two different answers and no permit. That is when I decided to quit asking questions and to be better prepared for the registration process.
    Hope this helps others.

2. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats and thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
    I just registered my roadster a couple of weeks ago in Ellis County (Waxahachie). Used the Street Rod approach and it was pretty painless. Preparation is the key. Do not go to the registration office and ask them what you need to do. You may not like the answer. There are several ways to license a vehicle and the Custom/Street Rod approach is new to them. Suggest you go the DMV website (TxDMV - Home), do a search, and get 3 documents:
    1.) Motor Vehicle Registration Manual, Section 21.2 - Classic Motor Vehicles and Travel Trailer;Custom Vehicles;Street RodsThe Custom Vehicle and Street Rod portion should be studied carefully.
    2.) Registration and Title Bulletin - #004-12 - "Custom Vehicle" and "Street Rod" Program, dated March 29, 2012. Do a search for RBT's. This doc tells you all the steps and documentation you will need.
    3.) Frequently Asked Questions about the Custom Vehicle and Street Rod Program - You will find this as an attachment in the RBT's. This document is important in that it states that annual inspection stickers are not required.

After reviewing these docs my approach was:
    1. Had inspection performed by ASE certified technician who sighned form VTR-852.
    2. Obtained safety inspection sticker - even tho this is not required, I figured the $14.50 was easier than explaining the law to every policeman who stopped me for no safety sticker. Your choice.
    3. Obtained certified weight certificate at local truck stop. Should have done this before the safety inspection as the inspector asked what the weight of the car was. He didn't argue when I told him I didn't have it yet, and he left that field blank.
    4. Prepared a document package with the following:
    a) RTB #004-12 (noted above)
    b) FAQ (noted above)
    c)Completed VTR-852 (noted above)
    d)MSO from FFR
    e)Receipt for motor
    f) Receipt for Trans
    g)Photo of trans S/N
    h)VTR-61 Rebuilt Vehicle Statement
    j)Photo of motor S/N
    k)Tracing of frame S/N and form VTR-301
    l) Photo of Frame S/N
    m)Weight certification
    n) Form 130-U Application for Texas Certificate of Title
    0) 3 photos of car -front, side, & rear views
    p) photo of Shelby Cobra from internet
    q) Insurance card

Made of copy of all of the above for my records and went to the auto registration office. I walked in, showed them the document package, and stated I wanted to register and license my vehicle per the Street Rod Approach (showing them the RTB Bulletin and pointing out all of the documents that it references.) The lady said "I wish everyone who came in here was this prepared.", and about 20 minutes later I had my registration sticker and temporary tag. The final tags came 1 1/2 weeks later. During the process I mentioned that I had paid sales taxes, as applicable, on all of the parts as I built the car and stated I didn't feel I needed to pay additional sales tax. She check with someone in the office, agreed with me, and just charged for the registration and title fees. About 100 bucks.
    Prior to this I had visited the office on 2 other occasions trying to get a temporary permit so that I could drive the car to the inspection and weigh stations. I got two different answers and no permit. That is when I decided to quit asking questions and to be better prepared for the registration process.
    Hope this helps others.
    Dave O,

Congrats and thanks for sharing. I will go through this in Houston soon and your experience will be very helpful. Would you mind sharing what you used for the VIN, Make, model and body style fields? I have done research on this and have a pretty good idea what to use, but would like to compare notes with what worked for you. Also, do you have windshield wipers? If, not, how did that get handled with the inspector?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the FFR S/N off of the certificate of origin as the VIN number. On Form VTR-61 I put "1965" as Year, "2013 Assembled" as the Make, "Roadster" as the Model and "Replica" as the Body Style. In the Explanation of Repairs section on that form I stated "Complete assembly of vehicle." On the Form 130-U, Application for Texas Certificate of Title I Put Year - "1965", Make - "Ford", Body Style - "Replica, and Model ' "RD" (for Roadster). I do have windshield wipers (from FFR) and it is one of boxes for the ASE Tech to check off. He didn't ask me to use them but did see I had them installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I was going to use the same thing on both forms, so good to know what worked for you. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great information. I am about to put the body on and will be getting my Texas registration in the next few weeks. Thanks for the information! I will be in Granbury this weekend and love the area around DFW. Nice to get away from the gulf humidity. When I lived in Amarillo I thought the Dallas area was terribly humid. Then I moved to Corpus Christi, and wow! 18 years and I'm still not used to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow this is great! I may be a way out but rather know the steps to take as I build.

Nolan
    Project 818R kit being delivered sept 2014.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave O,
    Save the last weekend in March for the Texas Cobra Club Meet in San Marcos. Here is last years website. http://www.texascobrameet.com/ Come join us.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Went to county tax assessor in Cedar Park to apply for title and registration. They wouldn't accept the MCO, said it was only printed on paper. What's it suppose to be printed on?
    Was going home to contact Factory 5. As I calmed down, changed my mind, decided to go to Georgetown. They had never done a vehicle like this before. After about an hour and three calls to the DMV, they decided to register it with Custom Car plates. The manager made a list of what I needed and gave me the forms.
    I had proof of insurance and a green sheet which verifies VIN and that the car passed inspection. I asked if I could get a 30 day temp tag. They said yes. For $25.00 "cash only".
    As luck would have it, the fuel injection computer failed. It took 30 days to sort it out. Needed it running to get weighed.
    Had all the paper work, $908.00 TTL and car was registered.
    Six weeks later received plates, was starting to worry. Two weeks more and received title.
    Last edited by tomnt; 04-13-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to here
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting ready to register mine. I looked at the Texas DMV website and tried to make sense of the faq they had to no avail. Found your post, good information. I checked on the DMV website again. In the last week or two they added an "assembled vehicle manual". Covers everything from trailers to kit cars and tells what they are classifieded as and the paperwork needed to title and register your vehiicle. Called the DMV beause the old engines don't have a serial number and the person I spoke with was familiar with the new manual. Said the receipt from the rebuilder and a bill of sale should suffice. It pretty much agrees with what you listed minus no trans serial number tracing/picture needed. At least there is an official manual from their website I can always wave in their face if they give me grief.

12. Thanks Kmcallahan thanked for this post
    Likes Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to drag up a thread that's been dead for two months now... But has anybody done a donor build under the street rod rules discussed above? My guess is that your bill of sale for the donor should include individual statements for engine and transmission as opposed to a blanket one for the car: "I, Jim Bob III, do hereby sell my 1994 Mustang GT..."

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
    j)Photo of motor S/N
    Has anyone registered a replica (roadster or 33) in Texas using a goodwrench crate motor?

These motors don't have a serial number (if they did have one, it is on an aluminum tag and usually missing) - in the serial numbers place is just a stamped goodwrench code like 1M1105 2VP. So far I haven't found anything else stamped on the motor.

So, what to supply to the DMV?

not-a-serialnumber.jpg
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRacer View Post
    Has anyone registered a replica (roadster or 33) in Texas using a goodwrench crate motor?

These motors don't have a serial number (if they did have one, it is on an aluminum tag and usually missing) - in the serial numbers place is just a stamped goodwrench code like 1M1105 2VP. So far I haven't found anything else stamped on the motor.

So, what to supply to the DMV?

not-a-serialnumber.jpg
    If I were you I'd simply write in that goodwrench code and supply the exact photograph you have here, without the name of the pic of course. Practice ahead of time looking nonchalant and not guilty! My experience has been that they are looking to ensure that all pieces of paper you're supposed to submit are there, not the validity of the information on any of those papers. You're dealing with county clerks who'd be lucky to see one of these applications a year, not any kind of car enthusiast who would have a clue.
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, yes, that's a good idea, and may work. The other idea I had was to look online and find someone who will sell me the aluminum tag off theirs.. people putting these motors in a normal car don't care at all, but it's pretty important for replicas
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100