BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: GTM Registration - I Need a Hug (Long Read, but Informative)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

GTM Registration - I Need a Hug (Long Read, but Informative)

This deserves its own thread (because I said so). Let me tell you, I used every curse word in the dictionary across seven languages over the past two days,
    however I'm only fluent in two!

While getting my, "ducks in a row" for certification, I called Canada Customs to obtain a B15 Casual Goods Form, as well as a Vehicle Import Form (as instructed
    by the local Ministry of Transportation). These forms are required for KIT CARS ... which is what I thought I was registering. It turns out, that's not the case.

As you may know my kit was purchased used, and has gone through two previous owners: original import through British Columbia, and then sold to a guy
    in North Bay. When buying the car, I was given the FFR serial plate, and the Certificate of Origin. That is all the seller had, and that is all I figured was
    required for transfer according to my research.

When calling Customs I was told that the B15 Casual Goods, and Vehicle Import forms should have been supplied when the kit entered Canada. When
    explaining that I bought the kit used, I ran into a bunch of brick walls. Initially, I was directed to British Columbia Customs to obtain the documents from
    2007 when the import occurred. Unfortunately due to privacy & security reasons, I was not allowed access to the forms. The officer suggested that I contact
    the original owner.

Luckily Google turned up a phone number by using the information found on the Certificate of Origin. I called the number, and left an awkward voice message
    on whom I prayed was the original owner's answering machine.

Next day, still hadn't heard back so the onslaught of phone calling resumed. After about fourteen separate calls to ten different agencies; getting bounced
    back, and forth, the conclusion was that American Made kit cars are not admissible into Canada under any circumstance. They are not listed as a
    "Compliance vehicle" under the Transport Canada regulation.

Confused, and lost yet? I sure was!

Out of desperation I called Mr. Ed Konda from Ontario Kit Car Builders. Surely, he could tell me how he registered two GTM's within the same province
    that I reside! Ed had no hand in this mess, but he took the time out of his busy schedule to shed some light on the subject. According to him, I was doing
    everything correctly.

Frustrated call, after frustrated call, NOBODY could tell me how to obtain the documents to register my car. Transport Canada wanted to send somebody
    to my house to inspect the car (for a fee), but insisted that my GTM could not be legally licensed in Ontario.

Sooooo...I spoke with Al Beix from Western Canada Cobras. He too owed me nothing, but spent about ten minutes on the phone trying to find records
    of transfer when GTM #105 changed hands from British Columbia to North Bay, Ontario. As luck would have it, no customs documents could be found in
    Al's records because the original owner imported the kit privately. Al Beix did however provide me with the owner's e-mail, and cell phone!!! He also told
    me that I'm supposed to register the GTM as a STARTER KIT, NOT A KIT CAR!

This is very important, because they are two entirely different items in the eyes of Transport Canada! OH MY GOD! Could they not figure it out after I
    explained that I put the car together myself, with parts from Ontario, and that several other GTM's were already registered in Ontario!?! Maybe I'm
    slow, but COME ON! Anyway, here are some interesting links to read through:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/t...04-faq-689.htm
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/t...4-menu-685.htm

With some light at the end of the tunnel, proper terminology, and an e-mail sent to the first buyer of GTM #105, my blood pressure settled back to a manageable
    level.

A few hours later, one of the most important e-mails turned up in my Inbox!!! It was like winning the lottery because after six years, he STILL KEPT THE
    ORIGINAL DOCUMENTATION!

What I need is a B15 Casual Goods Form, and a Transport Canada - Declaration to Import Form.

The Declaration to Import Form is filled out, and faxed to Transport Canada. They review the request, and issue an Authorizing Letter
    stating that your delivery is admissible into Canada under the Traffic Act!

With these documents at my side, I will attempt to register my STARTER KIT some time next week.

If you buy a used kit car...which is actually a STARTER KIT, make damn certain you have the Certificate of Origin, the Serial Number, a Declaration Form, the
    B15 Causal Goods Form, and the Authorization Letter. Beyond that, you will also need a Vehicle Safety/Certification, and Proof of Insurance. Also have your
    receipts handy just in case.

Keep this in mind when buying a used kit. Hopefully I saved someone a few years of aging.

Related Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Kit-Purchase)

Thank you to:
    Ed Konda
    Al Beix
    The Original Owner (name withheld for privacy)

I learned a great deal about life today.
    Last edited by LCD Gauges; 06-15-2013 at 05:20 AM.
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    You forgot one thing that you still need...any day spent dealing with government officials requires a good, stiff drink! (I recommend an 18 year old Highland Park or Aberlour Abunadh cask strenth.)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    wow. red tape sucks. hope everything goes through ok, looking forward to seeing your car on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain as when I went to register my MK4 a few months back (Ontario) I too was missing the B15 and I am the original owner. I imported the kit directly myself and the shipper never provided this form. Luckily after a few calls, I was able to get the required document from the shipper within 1 day. Overall the registration experience was very positive as it only took an hour to get the car registered once I had the form

Remember - all Canadian kit builders require this original form to register the finished car so be sure this form is in hand upon delivery of your kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned a great deal about life today.[/QUOTE]

Funny how owning & building a component car does that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I hope everyone else's experience has been more pleasant, and this news will make your journey easier when getting your license all drawn up.

I'm hoping to head out this afternoon (excited, and nervous all at once). If not today, then tomorrow morning.

Hopefully I'll be posting a shot of the license plate with sticker affixed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No surprises here. I'm getting more run-around, and a different story yet again. The Ministry sent me back with a bunch of homework, and a huge headache.

A sworn affidavit is suddenly required (funny that nobody mentioned this after two visits, and a few phone calls). Does anyone there really know the process of
    registration, or do they fabricate rules on the fly?!

Buyer, and SELLER beware when transferring your kits. Original documentation must follow with the kit. Don't buy it, or sell it without proper documents.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    mmmmaaaaaaannnnnnn that sucks! i was hoping to see you had it worked out. keep pushing.