Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Simple Soft Top (bikini's inside!)

Post Thanks / Like

Simple Soft Top (bikini's inside!)

While googling the soft top for the spyder and trying to find the best pics of how it's made, attached, and fitted I ran across these for a miata. This is exactly what I was thinking of having my mom help me with. I can't sew, but she made her own wedding dress. I figure this is easier. Might be more difficult given I live a few states away from my family, but maybe when they come visit for Christmas she'll bring her machine again (she sewed my winch strap this past week when they were here )

This won't keep the rain off you completely, but would keep the sun off you on super hot and sunny days, keep you a little dryer in a sudden surprise rain, prevent interior fading if you plan to DD the car and park it outside at the office, or just give you options to mix it up. You'd need to make a mount on the windshield and something for the back.

If you wanted to really get fancy, you can make an insert for behind the driver. With the roll bar being straight across, it might be easier to make this instead of the curved piece on the porsche. You'd still need windows, but it's a start.

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the idea of a get me home top. We may need to use insert a couple struts between the windshield and the roll bar to keep the pull on the windshield frame from collapsing it. There are many stories around Factory Five of a passenger breaking a roadster windshield frame by grabbing the windshield frame to pull themselves out of the car. The struts must also not be allowed to create forward thrust by flattening out (this is called toggle force).

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The top on the Miata is exactly what I'm wanting! With heated seats, it's all I need for near year-round driving. Mechie, I'd like to help out with (or take advantage of, or simply buy) whatever you develop. I'm no seamstress, but a friend from work is a CAD jockey and and could help with mounting features.

Regarding the windshield mount, I would expect it to be fine. The support structure looks very robust in the build photos, and remember: it's designed to mount a modern Japanese production glass (3rd Gen MR2) not replicate the look of a mid 20th century cottage industry British roadster!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    There are many stories around Factory Five of a passenger breaking a roadster windshield frame by grabbing the windshield frame to pull themselves out of the car.
    I really hope this will not be the case with the 818 and the windshield can support the weight of the car in the event of a rollover.
    That would be a pretty big turnoff for me TBH...

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ well I wouldn't get your hopes up then. I could be wrong, but I don't think the windshield was built in to provide that much strength.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Install a good rollover bar if you're worried about rollovers. Windshield frames on small roadsters aren't generally suited to that task. The Lotus Elise and Exige windshield frame is also a no-grab piece for the same reasons, and while I've never heard the same of the MR2 Spyder (MR-S in much of the world), most photos I've seen of rollovers show a collapsed windshield.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blueafro View Post
    and while I've never heard the same of the MR2 Spyder (MR-S in much of the world), most photos I've seen of rollovers show a collapsed windshield.
    My comment didn't mean to imply the windsheild frame is suitable for roll-over protection, just that I'm sure it's robust enough to support a tensioned bikini top, which is all I'm asking from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    My comment didn't mean to imply the windsheild frame is suitable for roll-over protection, just that I'm sure it's robust enough to support a tensioned bikini top, which is all I'm asking from it.
    My post was referring to joshuo's post about rollover protection. Sorry, that maybe wasn't the clearest thing. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    The top on the Miata is exactly what I'm wanting! With heated seats, it's all I need for near year-round driving. Mechie, I'd like to help out with (or take advantage of, or simply buy) whatever you develop. I'm no seamstress, but a friend from work is a CAD jockey and and could help with mounting features.
    you could also contact the makers of that top, they're a small independent shop based in California
    http://www.projectgla.com/intro.html
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    It will interesting to see how elaborate the soft top FFR is developing will be. I hope it's close to the Porsche Spyder design, simple and easy to put on and priced reasonably. If it's a complicated and expensive, I' d go with the Miata style simple top like the one pictured and the optional hard top for the cold season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    It will interesting to see how elaborate the soft top FFR is developing will be. I hope it's close to the Porsche Spyder design, simple and easy to put on and priced reasonably. If it's a complicated and expensive, I' d go with the Miata style simple top like the one pictured and the optional hard top for the cold season.
    We already know it'll likely be around $3k. For a $10k kit, that's expensive in my book.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    We already know it'll likely be around $3k. For a $10k kit, that's expensive in my book.
    Expensive? Yes, for sure. And if it is anything like what RodTops offers for the Roadster and the '33, it will be a little on the complicated side as well. But it will be very high quality, and more importantly, it will keep the weather on the outside where it belongs. That's important to me, so I'll order my expensive soft top from the gitgo.

But for those who only want or need an emergency get-me-home top, the bimini-style top being discussed here may be an ideal choice. Build it your way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love a legit soft top. I'm not independently wealthly and the $3k busts my budget. lol.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love a legit soft top. I'm not independently wealthly and the $3k busts my budget. lol.
    Can't argue with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Boxster Spyder. The top is great, but I do not think that can adapt a similar design to the 818.

What most people do not know is~ The rear of the top that snaps into the red hooks can only be done with the rear decklid open. Then part of the structural strength, is when you close the rear decklid, it stretches the top tight using the decklid as a lever. This is in addition to the cable and lever under the decklid.

That Miata top looks like something someone can make easily.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 06-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blueafro View Post
    Install a good rollover bar if you're worried about rollovers. Windshield frames on small roadsters aren't generally suited to that task. The Lotus Elise and Exige windshield frame is also a no-grab piece for the same reasons, and while I've never heard the same of the MR2 Spyder (MR-S in much of the world), most photos I've seen of rollovers show a collapsed windshield.
    The S2000 windshield frame is a rollbar capable of supporting the entire weight of the car. Honda went as far as writing a letter to the SCCA stating such (impressive in this age of litigation). I don't expect the 818 windshield frame to be a rollbar, but I do expect it to support a Hardtop, a Targa, a Bikini top, and a passenger grab point for entry, exit, and H*ly Cr*p! moments.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Miata bikinis use an OEM front bow that latches to the frame with the stock levers. My worry is that the 818 window frame will not have provisions to attach a front 'Bow" to, so we'll have to come up with something clever at the leading edge of the top... Nothing that can't be done, but i'd rather not use twenty snaps to attach the take me home top. that would look tacky too lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    If we're lucky enough, FFR will share some CAD files. I just so happen to have solidoworks open right now.

I did see on their facebook that someone in NZ or Australia needed to have scale models of the front of the car to pass inspection/register the car. Someone from FFR posted they would send files. All I'd need is the upper windshield frame, the rollbar, and portions of the rear decklid. Nothing complete so that to protect their IP no one would have full part models.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    I have a Boxster Spyder. The top is great, but I do not think that can adapt a similar design to the 818.

What most people do not know is~ The rear of the top that snaps into the red hooks can only be done with the rear decklid open. Then part of the structural strength, is when you close the rear decklid, it stretches the top tight using the decklid as a lever. This is in addition to the cable and lever under the decklid.

That Miata top looks like something someone can make easily.
    Nice car! I've seen the top's operation and agree the tensioning mechanism would be tough to implement on an 818. It's more the look I'm going for, and the Miata top is perfect example. I'm fine tensioning with double-D rings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuo View Post
    Nothing that can't be done, but i'd rather not use twenty snaps to attach the take me home top. that would look tacky too lol.
    Agreed, the top of the windshield attachment is the only tricky part. The rest is just sewing!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would look at what's available for an mr2. Might be easier to make something work if you start with that windshield hardware

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be nice to know if the hard top planed by FFR will have a windshield like the 33 hot rod ,or if it will be like a Miata,s2000 ect. If it's the later then the windshield attachments would be simplified, just use the same type hardware for both the soft top and the hard top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    I would look at what's available for an mr2. Might be easier to make something work if you start with that windshield hardware
    OEM convertible tops, and their hardware, are highly optimized for their individual installation. Unless the top of the windshield frame is the same, and the windshield is mounted at the same or similar angle, the latching hardware isn't likely to work without considerable modification. MR2 Spyder latch hardware is relatively rare and expensive, so if you're working from scratch, I'd think adapting Miata hardware would make more economic sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    AS far as "Roll-Over" is concerned; the whole idea is to be strapped into the seat, that is why I think the idea of using "stock" belts is not safe.
    If you are belted in, you won't need to rely on a windshield for protection, the roll bar will save you.
    Also the whole idea around this car is low CG, tough to roll - not that you can't do it, but it is a low CG car.
    Ask Dave of FFR, he rolled one of his roadsters in a race, taped up the body and won if I'm not mistaken.
    A windshield at that angle? I don't think you could rely on any windshield at that angle
    If you have the S version, I don't think I would be pushing the car to the point I would need roll-over protection-ON THE STREET- unless your Vin Diesel

I like the Bikini top idea, here in Calif and I could utilize it with an "R" version, the hard top idea would be tough
    Last edited by THE ITALIAN; 06-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In regards to the bikini/bimini style top, don't forget that FFR having a soft top available will mean there is appropriate attachment hardware at the top of the windshield. That also means Rod Tops ALREADY HAS an appropriate attachment bow for the top of the windshield. Seems to me you just order your kit with a windshield compatible with soft/hard top, then order just the bow from Rod Tops. OR perhaps Rod Tops will leverage their existing engineering on the 818 soft top and offer a bikini/bimini style as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THE ITALIAN View Post
    AS far as "Roll-Over" is concerned; the whole idea is to be strapped into the seat, that is why I think the idea of using "stock" belts is not safe.
    Well, 3pt belts are safe enough for NHTSA, even in a convertible. I do plan on installing 5pt harnesses, though.

Also the whole idea around this car is low CG, tough to roll - not that you can't do it, but it is a low CG car.
    roll02.jpg

unless your Vin Diesel

men-vin-diesel-bald-1711592293.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    In regards to the bikini/bimini style top, don't forget that FFR having a soft top available will mean there is appropriate attachment hardware at the top of the windshield. That also means Rod Tops ALREADY HAS an appropriate attachment bow for the top of the windshield.
    Good point!

Post Thanks / Like
    I wouldn't count a hundred percent on mounting points to not be installed on the frame afterwards. The windshield frame might just be a smooth frame. It would still be pretty easy to attach a plastic C-channel to the frame and slide a flexible rod sewn in the fabric in that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joshuo View Post
    I wouldn't count a hundred percent on mounting points to not be installed on the frame afterwards. The windshield frame might just be a smooth frame. It would still be pretty easy to attach a plastic C-channel to the frame and slide a flexible rod sewn in the fabric in that...
    Main point being the hardware exists. No need to fabricate it yourself unless you want to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Main point being the hardware exists. No need to fabricate it yourself unless you want to.
    Good point sir!

Post Thanks / Like
    This maybe a little off topic but I was thinking more of a Tonneau cover, zipper down the middle, snaps around to secure it, had one on an old MGB I had as a kid.
    Finn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by da King View Post
    This maybe a little off topic but I was thinking more of a Tonneau cover, zipper down the middle, snaps around to secure it, had one on an old MGB I had as a kid.
    Finn
    Me too. LOVED it. If one is not offered, I plan to look into making one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too. LOVED it. If one is not offered, I plan to look into making one.
    Me too. I'd LOVE a Tonneau -- so long as it can be designed in such a way as to coexist with the soft top - potentially using some of the same snap locations etc......

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought this thread should be bumped, since Aloha and others have brought up the subject in their threads.

http://www.projectgla.com/gstring_na.html
    Attached Images Attached Images