Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Isn't technology great, best in dash ever...on the cheap.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't technology great, best in dash ever...on the cheap.

Dropped the GTM off at the installers yesterday. It is by far the greatest thing you can add to your GTM or any F5R. Here is what it does, 4 point camara mounts (tiny) with on board recording (front, back, one in each side scoop) display and posting capabilities from the cockpit, on board diagnostics and code reader via Bluetooth wireless and wireless OBD2, onboard performance with display of lab times/1/4 mile/0-60/hp/TQ/ect, all of which appears on a fully customizable screen. Of course all of the Nav (with real time traffic updates, radar monitoring and real time speed trap notifications), all the media stuff and Bluetooth stuff too. How about access to 10 million songs. Another cool thing... Anything your iPhone can display including apps will appear and can be controlled on the touch screen. Even has drive-mate that uses the camera and hard drive to record loops of videos that will record if an accident happens, warns of blind spot approaches and lane departures (can be muted). There are so many apps that can be loaded and it can be used with any smart phone. Angry birds at 100mph anyone, ok maybe not.

The JVC KW-60BT is last years model, I paid $279.00 for it. This years model is only a little more $$.

All the apps were under $100.00, and I can use them anywhere, They are not car specific.

The bluetooth wireless OBD plug was $26.00, again, can be moved car to car.

All four cameras were $98.00

And the cables were $57.00.

http://mobile.jvc.com/mobile.jsp

For Android http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-ELM327-...470869&vxp=mtr

For iphone http://www.ebay.com/itm/WIFI-ELM327-...ad44cd&vxp=mtr

http://www.cnet.com/8301-33369_1-573...nk-for-iphone/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NctlU...e_gdata_player

I will post install pics in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely want more details. Looking forward to your install notes and photos.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds pretty cool. Please keep this thread updated.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    $500 for materials doesn't sound too bad............
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very Cool headunit. It’s a great piece for the iphone user.

I’m an android user and run a Bluetooth ELM adapter using with Torque and Dash Command apps. I like Torque for the recording/logging, lab times, 1/4 mile, 0-60, 0-100, HP and TQ, but I prefer the look of Dash Command’s dash board.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    So here are the install pics. I forgot to take pics of the camaras this morning but I included the installers placement approval pics. The 4" speakers are installed in the tunnel and the 6.5 in the doors. The iphone/pod/pad plug is also neatly installed in the tunnel. The Bluetooth mic is in rollbar cover just above my head. The micro switches are installed on the steering column. Very, VERY happy how it turned out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Kalstar; 06-24-2013 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Added more pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    J,

Nice.

What apps from the iphone are you able to display on and control from the headunit?
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    So here are the install pics. I forgot to take pics of the camaras this morning but I included the installers placement approval pics. The 4" speakers are installed in the tunnel and the 6.5 in the doors. The iphone/pod/pad plug is also neatly installed in the tunnel. The Bluetooth mic is in rollbar cover just above my head. The micro switches are installed on the steering column. Very, VERY happy how it turned out.
    Just another item that got added to long list of things that my 818 will have.
    FFR '33 #325 built with hazelwwp & FFR 818-S #11 Delivered on July 21, 2013
    Facebook 818-S/R Build Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Facto...78385198877613
    Forum 818-S/R Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Build-Thread!
    FFR Project 818 Owner's Registry on Google Map

Post Thanks / Like
    We really havent seen much of your interior. Looks great! I love the cross stitching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Holy crap! That applied to you stunning interior as well!

So... has anyone come up with an app for TSD rallies on that thing? Hmmm... It could run like the start timer app for sailboat racing: two timer displays, one for time remaining in the stage, one for your time to the end of the stage at present speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vidal, sorry for the delay. See list below.

Some of these have overlapping features. So far I have added....

http://www.inmotionsoftware.com/home/?page_id=62 (already had this app)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ikwI...e_gdata_player

http://gps.motionx.com/iphone/

http://cobrairadar.com/overview/

http://appfinder.lisisoft.com/app/dr...nboardcam.html

More to come, audio stuff too. Lots to play with/learn on the 5 apps downloaded.

Thx Flo, I need to get better pics. My cell phone pics just do not capture how nice the interior turned out.

BW, if they do not have the app yet they will. The amount of apps is huge!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very sweet setup.

That's a touch more elaborate than the Boss system I'm using. I will be checking out your videos, and links for sure.

A question about your install: did you require a trim plate for the console?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    The center tunnel cover was modified to accept the double din radio. The only install plate we used was what came with the radio itself, we did not add a mounting kit. Remember this is not crazy money, even though it looks like it would cost a mint, it is very inexpensive.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Awesome! I just read into this a bit more; it's the iPhone that controls the added functions you describe. The head unit I'm using also has iPhone control, so I'll be
    looking to upgrade my phone if the Android doesn't handle the remote options that I want.

Thanks for posting this, you have a killer entertainment system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post
    Awesome! I just read into this a bit more; it's the iPhone that controls the added functions you describe. The head unit I'm using also has iPhone control, so I'll be
    looking to upgrade my phone if the Android doesn't handle the remote options that I want.

JVC seems to be cutting the path for others to follow. Their integration of the apps and software is top notch. I stumbled on this unit as I wanted a "cheap" Nav unit, but the more I play with it, the more amazed I become. The new generation of this unit could take the place of the whole dash pod, speedo, tech, temp, oil, boost, gauge ect. No fiddling with the gear and sprocket or VSS for accurate speeds. The GPS and accelerometer would be more accurate and a simple plug n' play. The diagnostics screen and related info puts my Acura to shame and I thought that was advanced.

Take a look at the apps I posted in post #11. They seem to work flawless on the JVC unit but some reviews complain about use on small screens. I have not experienced any issues with not being able to read/view and the processor is quick.
    Last edited by Kalstar; 06-26-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukn4trbl View Post

Unfortunately the Boss will not mirror the apps even with an iphone. The majors; Pioneer, JVC, Alpine and Sony (There may be others) have head units that use a smart phone interface most often referred to as “mirrorlink”.

Your head unit needs to have the tech and your smart phone needs to be compatible. The iphone and Samsung Galaxy were your primary phones, but updates and newer head units have expanded list of compatibles.

The tech allows you to display and control certain apps, from the phone, with the head unit. The head unit and/or app limit what apps are displayed and controlled.

For example, Samsung’s “drive link app” does music, navigation and calling, (hopes are that the apps will be updated to allow more) while the latest Pioneer unit will allow 20+ android apps including Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc.’s DashCommand app.

The iphones “app link mode has an extended control (IMO making it the better smart phone for this tech for most compatible head units) that allows the display and control of 20+ apps that have been tailored specifically for this technology.

Many people already doc their smart phone and use it for Music, Navigation and possibly other apps. There are also many using an ipad or android tablet as their head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalstar View Post
    JVC seems to be cutting the path for others to follow. Their integration of the apps and software is top notch. I stumbled on this unit as I wanted a "cheap" Nav unit, but the more I play with it, the more amazed I become. The new generation of this unit could take the place of the whole dash pod, speedo, tech, temp, oil, boost, gauge ect. No fiddling with the gear and sprocket or VSS for accurate speeds. The GPS and accelerometer would be more accurate and a simple plug n' play. The diagnostics screen and related info puts my Acura to shame and I thought that was advanced.

Take a look at the apps I posted in post #11. They seem to work flawless on the JVC unit but some reviews complain about use on small screens. I have not experienced any issues with not being able to read/view and the processor is quick.
    Very cool . I eager to see some videos of it in action.
    R/s
    Vidal
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Interesting news about the compatibility. When I purchased the head-unit, I didn't care much for the Apple interface as I'm using a Samsung mobile phone. It was the
    large screen, and detachable face that hooked me.

Now that I'm reading the benefits of mirror-link, I'm almost considering a phone & stereo swap!
    We'll see however (aka not likely) as this system will do pretty much everything except make coffee, and mirror-link iPhone/iPad apps.

Post up those videos when you're done playing. I really want to see the JVC in action!