BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 818 Registration concerns in Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NISMO_RB25 View Post
    Quick question. Did you have to get a new vin number from the state and if so what did you need to apply for that? That seems to be the only part I am not understanding from the updated documents. It is very exciting to see it is now clear that the 818 can be registered legally. I thought for sure I was going to just build the car and sell it.
    Did not need a new (assigned) VIN - they took the FFR chassis number and made that the VIN.

Yes you can legally register the 818 but it needs to be inspected every year including the emissions stuff. Hope you're building it with cats and OBD2 capability!
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my 818S registered in Texas as an "Assembled Vehicle replica" with custom vehicle plates and no future inspections, since November 2014. It wasn't a problem. Follow the instructions find photographs of an older vehicle that you feel you can argue the 818 "resembles" and go for it. There, as I have said before, is no downside. There is only the question of ...if the particular DMV person you have presented all your paperwork to agrees with your assessment of "resembles". Mine, who I was directed to (at random after taking a number and waiting for the next available as my number came up) in the Houston DMV facility obviously thought I was correct. Worst case you have to have annual inspections....I was prepared for that possibility and had OBD and cat in my build.

I am not posting the photos I used. I don't want any trouble stirred up by someone using the same photos with an anal DMV agent who strongly disagees and then goes after my agent and me to reverse my vehicles categorization. I'd hate to loose it!!!

You must pick something that you feel you can present and make a case for.

So it can be done, we are not locked out. Go for it.

fred

PS If anyone wants an already titled 818S to avoid all the issues.....I'm thinking of selling mine. The "celebrity status" of driving around in the only one on the road (I believe) in Texas is not quite as exciting as it has been anymore. I have driven it 1,700 miles now and still get the questions at just about every stoplight and in every parking lot. And it is unbelievable fun to drive.
    Last edited by freds; 07-18-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Adding info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I certainly agree with Fred that there's no downside in trying for the replica Custom Vehicle status, as long as you're prepared with cats and OBD in case you're rejected. Keep in mind also that the waiver of all future inspections under the Custom Vehicle program is only valid for the specific owner; when the vehicle is sold and the new owner goes to register it the process must be repeated. So if you don't have cats and OBD and the new owner doesn't get lucky with the DMV, then you'll have an irate person who just bought your car and have it turn into a paperweight.

A bit of history: before the Custom Vehicle program came up, the common shenanigan for roadster registration was to try and get it registered as a 1965 model year, thereby avoiding emissions. Success rate was about 50-50 and depended on which DMV agent you happened to get. So I initially built my car with a belt and suspenders approach just as we've been talking about - with a 4.6 modular engine that was fully emissions compliant - in fact you still see that on my .sig (out of pure inertia...). Plan was to try for the 1965 MY but if I failed, then I had the emissions compliance as backup. Well I had some issues with that first motor and about the same time (coincidentally) Texas was putting in place the Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill, so I switched to a carb'd 302 and didn't look back. On the street since last August as a Custom Vehicle, Replica 1965 Cobra.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
    Well I certainly agree with Fred that there's no downside in trying for the replica Custom Vehicle status, as long as you're prepared with cats and OBD in case you're rejected. Keep in mind also that the waiver of all future inspections under the Custom Vehicle program is only valid for the specific owner; when the vehicle is sold and the new owner goes to register it the process must be repeated. So if you don't have cats and OBD and the new owner doesn't get lucky with the DMV, then you'll have an irate person who just bought your car and have it turn into a paperweight.

A bit of history: before the Custom Vehicle program came up, the common shenanigan for roadster registration was to try and get it registered as a 1965 model year, thereby avoiding emissions. Success rate was about 50-50 and depended on which DMV agent you happened to get. So I initially built my car with a belt and suspenders approach just as we've been talking about - with a 4.6 modular engine that was fully emissions compliant - in fact you still see that on my .sig (out of pure inertia...). Plan was to try for the 1965 MY but if I failed, then I had the emissions compliance as backup. Well I had some issues with that first motor and about the same time (coincidentally) Texas was putting in place the Street Rod and Custom Vehicle Bill, so I switched to a carb'd 302 and didn't look back. On the street since last August as a Custom Vehicle, Replica 1965 Cobra.
    I'm not clear on whether the original title is cancelled when sold. I don't think so...just the application for Custom vehicle plates with the required ASE certified inspection etc. has to be redone and the paperwork accepted by the tax office. Anyone have any definite knowledge of this?

fred

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    I'm not clear on whether the original title is cancelled when sold. I don't think so...just the application for Custom vehicle plates with the required ASE certified inspection etc. has to be redone and the paperwork accepted by the tax office. Anyone have any definite knowledge of this?

fred
    When you buy a used car in Texas you have 30 days to surrender the old title (with the previous owner's signature transferring ownership) and apply for a new title. The only time you don't need to do this is if you are a licensed dealer in which case you keep the old title until you resell the car.

Having said that the new title should have all the same information as the new title.
    Last edited by ram_g; 07-18-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ram_g View Post
    When you buy a used car in Texas you have 30 days to surrender the old title (with the previous owner's signature transferring ownership) and apply for a new title. The only time you don't need to do this is if you are a licensed dealer in which case you keep the old title until you resell the car.

Having said that the new title should have all the same information as the new title.
    Exactly thanks (i didn't express myself clearly) but when the new owner has the new title (with all the original info) then the application for custom vehicle plates is an extra and new step all handled by the tax office. The original determination of the vehicle being ASV replica by the DMV remains. So I believe the only hurdle for a new owner is to get the ASE inspection, and perhaps an inspection station inspection, then the custom vehicle plate application should be approved???

If this is correct, that is not the same nail biting exercise as the original "Replica" categorization application at the DMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freds View Post
    If this is correct, that is not the same nail biting exercise as the original "Replica" categorization application at the DMV.
    You may be right, so my characterization in post #43 may not be correct...only time will tell!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very helpful thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of resurrecting this thread, but there is a bill in front of the state legislature (HB 1755) to create a specific registration and titling class for former military vehicles and assembled vehicles, including kit cars and dune buggies. It's already passed the House and is now in front of the Senate Transportation Committee. Feel free to contact the committee members to urge support to pass the bill to make it easier to register new 818's in Texas:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12