Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NRG Innovations parts for the 818

Post Thanks / Like

NRG Innovations parts for the 818

Hey guys,

I became a vendor for NRG when I sold the Quick Flip adapter for the Hot Rod. They've got some neat parts for tuner cars which would translate over to the 818 nicely (I think). They have a good reputation for quality amongst the crowd. I'm considering offering up their products on my site for you guys so I'm wondering which products you might like to see. If you could take a look at their site and let me know I would appreciate it. I'll be sure to beat the prices out there by a few bucks and I sure wouldn't mind the business. I think the 310 seats would be a hit. They have fiberglass and Carbon Fiber. I just need to make sure they fit. They look very similar to the GTM seats but not sure about the shoulder width. They also have Steering wheels, quick releases, shift knobs, etc. Great quality with great pricing. So, again, let me know and I'll see if it's worth doing.

https://www.getnrg.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't realize how many nice stuff NRG has. I really like the seats, but it looks like it'll only work with 4pt harness. I personally can't decide if I want a FIA approved seat or not, or if a 4pt harness is enough. 12 pounds for $699, that's impressive. I also really like the quick tilt hub and D-shaped steering wheel. I will no doubt be in touch over the winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll be going with aftermarket seats and was leaning towards Corbeau FX1-Pro; these look like a nice alternative and I would definitely consider them it fitment is no issue. I also need to source a steering wheel and harnesses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like there stuff and have used there seats in a couple cars I have owned, decent stuff, good price. I got the glass 310's and I would again, 699 per seat for just carbon, ah 250 is better. I believe their made in china
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 06-26-2013 at 04:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have NRG on my list of parts. Don't know which ones yet.

NRG, yeah NRG, not to mix with NRE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aewbo-Orb3M) lollll
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are their seats manufactured? I heard that a lot of the copy-cat seat companies are manufacturing in china.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be running a NRG hub and quick release with a Momo Monte Carlo 350mm wheel. I've considered the NRG FRP fixed back seats, but haven't read too much about their safety and quality. Still researching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I'll look into setting this up for resale. Here is a review I got on the seats from one Subie owner. I've seen all their gear mulitiple times at SEMA and they are good blend of quality/cost. I don't know that it will all be momo or sparco quality but they are half the price as well.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gd-inter...ics-added.html

They have some cam buckle 4 and 6 point harnesses to go with the seats too.

Last edited by ehansen007; 06-26-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    I don't know that it will all be momo or sparco quality but they are half the price as well.

For me -on an item which could very well decide if I live or die in a crash- quality is of utmost importance.

I will only run an FIA-approved seat, and only one from a major manufacturer that is NOT made in china.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do they have a submarine slot?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. These seats for the the S for sure. Not really meant to replace or serve as an FIA approved racing seat and I don't see any sub-slot. If you're going to race on the road courses where hi-G's are being pulled, go with the top of the line for ultimate safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Erik,

These things have almost as much bolster as a Crown Vic!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been looking at their leather steering wheels and hubs, I'll keep you in mind. I need to build and sit before I decide what will work best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking seats! Lots of other interesting products as well.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. These seats for the the S for sure. Not really meant to replace or serve as an FIA approved racing seat and I don't see any sub-slot.

The FIA certification speaks to the seat passing certain loading and crash test standards. To me, that's just as important in a street driven car (818S) as it is in a race car. In fact, the way idiots are driving everywhere talking and texting on their cell phones, it could be even more important to have in a street car.

I don't want some cheap-o chinese junk jack-stand giving way when I'm under the car working. Having a seat that stands up in a crash -whether it happens on the track or on the street- is no different to me.
    Last edited by Turboguy; 06-28-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't doubt the importance of FIA testing, but what are you afraid of happening. IMO the harness is what you don't want to cheap out on. The 818, as well as any race car, has a cage around you. The harness is pulling you tight to the cage, not the seat. The seat isn't much more than a cushion between the two rated safety items, ie; cage and harness.

Whose to say the NRG bucket wouldn't pass FIA certification? But if they went that way, what would that cost them? How much would they have to jack the price? All of a sudden the NRG CF seat is $1000+, and who would spend that on a NRG when that's sparco money. And then NRG goes flop, lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seatbelts do most of their work in a frontal crash. What happens if the impact is from the rear? If the seat collapses, you are flailing about, and the belts may no longer hold you in place sufficiently. Worst case, what if the seat back snaps with a jagged edge, that then causes a laceration?

All that said, people put aftermarket seats in their cars all the time (all kinds of cars), then crash them, and you don't hear a lot about seat related injuries. So it would seem this isn't the riskiest thing out there. But seat quality, and seat mounting, should definitly be something to think about during any build.

Agree about the point that its possible NRG seat would pass if they could afford to have it tested.

Post Thanks / Like
    They probably can afford it, but it would force them to raise their price to market they can't compete in.

IMO, if I get hit from behind or the side and the cage fails, I'm not counting on a seat to help much.

I wonder how many here will be running a harness vs a Subaru seatbelt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    They probably can afford it, but it would force them to raise their price to market they can't compete in.

IMO, if I get hit from behind or the side and the cage fails, I'm not counting on a seat to help much.

Your missing the point a little, its not the cage the fails, its the seatback. If the seat back gives way, now your are just ragdolling between the cage and the harness, which may or may not be all that close together.

That said, many racing associations such as Nasa and SCCA allow you to run seats that are not FIA approved (or FIA seats that are expired) so long as an appropriate seat brace is installed. you can buy things like below
    http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant...uct_Code=SBB15

or make em

so even though i am in the boat of agreeing that i want my seat to be safe and a quality piece, there are safe solutions out there besides FIA rated seats. I am still terrified by cheap reclining seats though.
    Last edited by StatGSR; 07-01-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    That is what I meant, they can't afford to do it and still compete.

Post Thanks / Like
    Turbo, I understand your position but with your comments, by association, you're implying that these are cheaply made Chinese junk. We buy many things from China are that are of high quality and many on the internet have stated that NRG products are of high quality. I have yet to find anything relating to their seats failing though in any forum anywhere so if you've got any proof these are poorly made, please provide it. I spoke with them and for all of the bucket seats they have sold (over 5000) they have not had one failure or lawsuit against them. As for the recliner, they have had a few of the reclining ratcheting mechanisms go bad due to defects on the early ones but they were replaced under warranty. They stated (as others have here) that if they were to go get FIA certifications they would have to charge as much as the others. I've been using their products for a while now without issue. If I get hit in the 818, there are far more things I am worried about than the seat breaking in half. Not to imply it's not safe but everything in the motorsports category comes with it's association of risk vs cost. The debate can go on forever. The 818 isn't the safest car in the world..it's never even been crash tested...but it's not keeping me from buying it. (it's a lot safer than my past motorcycles ever will be!). I know for one that these seats with a 4 point harness are going to be better than the shoulder strap and stock seats the kit recommends so I'm upgrading to the NRG seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well stated!
    We all buy China stuff & some of their women are HOT ! I dated 1/2 the country.
    How often do you eat Chinese from the "down the street" strip mall? If it's good enough to put in your body, it's good enough to sit on (outside of racing)
    I did sell my harley because it was just stupid in So Cal, the thing leaked oil when it was new and the forks were made in Mexico, I still eat tacos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't see any sub-slot.
    Although the NRG website does not specifically mention or picture a sub slot, they do offer a 6-point harness, and this video shows a slot for a 5/6 point:

That being the case, I would consider a pair of these with the harnesses for my build (an S with light track use) instead of Corbeau, which is my current plan.

Eric, I see that both you're in OC and NRG is in LA. Do you know of any place in SoCal to sit in one of these to judge size/comfort?

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the trick, there really isn't any place except their showroom. I'm planning on heading up there tomorrow and get an overall fit. I'll let you know when I hear back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm planning on heading up there tomorrow and get an overall fit. I'll let you know when I hear back.
    Great... I'd appreciate any additional info you can provide. The seats are pictured with side-mounts... can you also confirm that these are provided, so that they would bolt right in (or to sliders)? Also, do all the bucket models have sub slots? I do see the specs on the website (below), but would appreciate 'seat of the pants' feedback on sizing.

Thanks!

Lee

seat spec chart Master_0.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the trick, there really isn't any place except their showroom. I'm planning on heading up there tomorrow and get an overall fit. I'll let you know when I hear back.
    Can you please check to see if the carbon buckets have the submarine slot? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That video shows a sub slot. that being said would I trust them with my life? not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Guys, let's not take this thread off track.

I removed some posts. Turbo, if you feel like discussing FIA rules and general seat safety issues, please open another thread to do so.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you guys know how to select a seat without sitting in it? These bucket seats are only one way and a bit more upright then I am used to. I'm a tall guy so I know that I will never be able to get in a car and go without finding a happy medium.

Also, how do you figure out how to mount it? As I said, I'm tall so I assume I'd have to recline it slightly (the whole thing, not just the back). How do you mount a seat in a way that you can then take it out and test it and then make adjustments? It seems like you'd have to drill holes to do any kind of mounting and you certainly can't drill a TON of holes as you figure out what you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EricScottZehnder View Post
    How do you guys know how to select a seat without sitting in it? These bucket seats are only one way and a bit more upright then I am used to. I'm a tall guy so I know that I will never be able to get in a car and go without finding a happy medium.

Also, how do you figure out how to mount it? As I said, I'm tall so I assume I'd have to recline it slightly (the whole thing, not just the back). How do you mount a seat in a way that you can then take it out and test it and then make adjustments? It seems like you'd have to drill holes to do any kind of mounting and you certainly can't drill a TON of holes as you figure out what you like.
    The side mount brackets most of these seats use are pitch and height adjustable. no need to drill extra holes. My seats will LIKELY be on sliders, so that takes care of the front and back adjustment. The only thing you really need to make sure you do is get the right width seat so your rear end fits snug and comfortable. usually if you are bigger than a 34 inch waist you need the larger gt? sizes

side mounts on seat:

Capture.JPG

These guys even have front to back adjustments on the bracket so if you don't use sliders, you'll still have adjustment:

Capture2.JPG
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 07-09-2013 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using the sliders from the WRX donor?

Looks like a Status Standard Ring FIA seat. I like it, but I don't like the price. But they have a lot of configuration options, which is nice.
    Last edited by Frank818; 07-09-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Probably jumped the gun there I am still on the fence about sliders... the FIA rule on sliders is tricky and enforced sparingly.

If I do go that route I don't know which sliders I will use as I haven't seen the manual yet that talks about seat mounting.

The sparco HD ones are nice, but the oem ones have undergone more crash testing. I'll let you know when I get there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok you are one following the FIA rules, I see.
    On Status site they offer the seat base custom made for a specific car. That's harder when it comes for the 818.

But again those Status are quite nice, every piece of foam is held by big velcros and can easily be removed. Even the fabric.

It seems a CF ready-to-install-in-car setup (brackets, sliders, etc.) weighs about 33lbs compared to 44lbs for some VW GTI seats that I have seen both on the scale on a Status seat review http://squarespokes.com/08/review-st...ing-ring-seat/
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    The only thing you really need to make sure you do is get the right width seat so your rear end fits snug and comfortable. usually if you are bigger than a 34 inch waist you need the larger gt? sizes
    Agreed, I also plan on fixed back buckets with side mounts, and perhaps sliders. As you described, this takes care of the critical adjustments, except for seat size. Based on specs, the NRG seats appear smaller in comparison to others (Corbeau, for example). If I don't have the opportunity to plant my butt in my seat of choice before purchasing, I'll at least mock up the dimensions with cardboard and duct tape to verify sizing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, I went by the shop today and inspected the seats very thoroughly and the quality was top notch. The fiberglass was very rigid and thick. They have the 300 seat which is good to about a 32" waist, then the 310 up to about 36", and then the large which is well, maybe a 40"? . The seats come with side mounts and sliders but I have no experience with them. They are standard steel. Basic adjustment can be done with the brackets to define how much tilt you want. The owner was there and he was telling me that he's made a lot of trips to China and Taiwan this year to check quality control. And all buckets come with a sub slot. Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    So at $250 you get the side mounts and sliders?

Do we have color choices and/or fabric material choices? I couldn't really see on the website...
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info... it all sounds good, and I'm really considering a pair of the fiberglass buckets. I'll mock-up the bolster width according to the spec sheet to determine if I want a small or medium.

Post Thanks / Like
    As Henry Ford said. "They come in any color you want..as long as its black". they have a pretty nice set of carbon fiber mirrors as well as some dandy wings too!! More to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just came across these carbon mirrors for the WRX which are pretty sweet. Didn't know they carried these.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    oh sweet...one of those came on my donor..the other one was ripped off when it flipped...price please?
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast