Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Another project started at replicaparts.com

Post Thanks / Like

Another project started at replicaparts.com

Started working on this project last week along side a GTM. This is a Ferrari California Spyder replica. It will be getting a Chevy 350 engine and five speed transmission.

Last edited by michael everson; 03-13-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bet these window trim bits would look great on the FFR Hot Rod.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    At that price i'd be interested, Mike we disacussed this a couple of years ago but the guy never really foloowed up on the responses......Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    11 years ago we bought the molds and tooling from the old Contemporary company. They had just completed probably the nicest Ferrari California replica ever done. Perfect molds, nice chassis, excellent details. We still have all those parts and molds here at Factory Five.

The problem is that Ferrari WILL absolutely sue and has already established trade dress rights to the shape. Sorry to sound negative, but I wouldn't touch that product with a ten foot pole. Fun for a one-off project like you are doing Mike, but from a business standpoint it is a dead end. Pretty car though.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    11 years ago we bought the molds and tooling from the old Contemporary company. They had just completed probably the nicest Ferrari California replica ever done. Perfect molds, nice chassis, excellent details. We still have all those parts and molds here at Factory Five.

The problem is that Ferrari WILL absolutely sue and has already established trade dress rights to the shape. Sorry to sound negative, but I wouldn't touch that product with a ten foot pole. Fun for a one-off project like you are doing Mike, but from a business standpoint it is a dead end. Pretty car though.
    Have you ever thought of writing a simple introductory to Ferrari It. and asking for a licensing deal? There is a huge untapped market for the "Ferris Bueller" Ferarri replica. You already have the tooling, the engineering is already done, and the down side of writing a letter with a simple business proposal is?

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point Bill.
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't asked him yet how he plans to sneak this by Ferrari. Will be interesting to see what happens. He has a lot invested in this. He told me he has sold 4-5 already. They are built and assembled in china

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    A rip-off Ferrari made in China... so many directions to go with this... never mind.

As far as approaching Ferrari with our Contemporary 250, Thats not a bad idea really, no big risk or investment of time, still, I really am not interested in doing this. It has more to do with where I want Factory Five to go than it does with whether or not there is a market or IF we could do it. Let me explain why.

Our Mk4, 65 Coupe and 33 Hot Rod are legitimate replicas of cars that either were never in production or were long ago abandoned and have no trade dress rights. There were only six Daytona Coupes ever made (and they were all race cars). Our '33 and frankly all vintage Hot Rods are totally mainstream and embraced by both major car makers and the aftermarket. The Mk4 C-car... well we PROVED that one is legit to make. Going forward though, I want to drive FFR in a different direction. I am not saying we won't ever do another replica (say 289 version slab side or USRRC), but I want us to focus on original designs. The 818 will be a global platform from which other variants can and likely will spring. I dont want to do the 250 for the simple reason that Ferrari uses the shape and look of the car as their tradedress and have proven it in court. Further, I think the problem with the old "Kit car" industry is looking the other way when it comes to rip-off cars. I see the world of kit cars as separated into 2 worlds, 1 is legitimate replicas of abandoned designs, and the other is grey zone rip-off cars of either current production cars (lambo stuff) or vintage cars that are not abandoned. Ferrari uses the shapes of its vintage cars as a vibrant and active part of their current marketing and designs. Some vintage designs (like the 911 Porsche) have been in continuous production for 50+ years!

Factory Five will always stay true to the C-car replica, but on the road ahead, I see a company that more and more trends towards original designs and breaking new ground. The 250 will stay in the weeds behind the building.

Dave Smith
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 03-13-2011 at 04:59 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 250 will stay in the weeds behind the building.
    .....hmmmmmmm....can you hear the wheels turning? I already have the MGB tailights!
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave store all the stuff in the weeds behind my garage

Post Thanks / Like
    A rip-off Ferrari made in China... so many directions to go with this... never mind.

As far as approaching Ferrari with our Contemporary 250, Thats not a bad idea really, no big risk or investment of time, still, I really am not interested in doing this. It has more to do with where I want Factory Five to go than it does with whether or not there is a market or IF we could do it. Let me explain why.

Our Mk4, 65 Coupe and 33 Hot Rod are legitimate replicas of cars that either were never in production or were long ago abandoned and have no trade dress rights. There were only six Daytona Coupes ever made (and they were all race cars). Our '33 and frankly all vintage Hot Rods are totally mainstream and embraced by both major car makers and the aftermarket. The Mk4 C-car... well we PROVED that one is legit to make. Going forward though, I want to drive FFR in a different direction. I am not saying we won't ever do another replica (say 289 version slab side or USRRC), but I want us to focus on original designs. The 818 will be a global platform from which other variants can and likely will spring. I dont want to do the 250 for the simple reason that Ferrari uses the shape and look of the car as their tradedress and have proven it in court. Further, I think the problem with the old "Kit car" industry is looking the other way when it comes to rip-off cars. I see the world of kit cars as separated into 2 worlds, 1 is legitimate replicas of abandoned designs, and the other is grey zone rip-off cars of either current production cars (lambo stuff) or vintage cars that are not abandoned. Ferrari uses the shapes of its vintage cars as a vibrant and active part of their current marketing and designs. Some vintage designs (like the 911 Porsche) have been in continuous production for 50+ years!

Factory Five will always stay true to the C-car replica, but on the road ahead, I see a company that more and more trends towards original designs and breaking new ground. The 250 will stay in the weeds behind the building.

Dave Smith
    Dave,

If I had the room I would have been happy to take all that worthless Contemporary Motorcars Corp stuff off your hands so you did not have to mow around them any longer

Bill S.
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
    HOW TO BUY A USED COBRA

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the rOom!
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    A funny thought popped in my head: In a hundred years will somebody say, "we make Factory Five (fill in the blank) Replicas"??????

That's a sweet looking project Mike. That window detail would be awesome on the 33HR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Factory Five will always stay true to the C-car replica, but on the road ahead, I see a company that more and more trends towards original designs and breaking new ground.
    Dave Smith
    Sounds like you are "FORGE-ING" ahead in a new direction.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder how this company is getting away with building a 250 replica?

http://www.calspyderii.com
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_FFR View Post
    Sounds like you are "FORGE-ING" ahead in a new direction.
    I see what you did there.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I see you edited out that it came assembled as a roller for that price........hm!
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing