Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Boz's 33

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by amasciarelli21 View Post
    Thanks Boz, I, ll plan on doing the same, Awesome build by the way have enjoyed following your build pages, Look forward to seeing it finished.

Ang
    Right or wrong, this is how I had the trunk prior to body install. I recommend leaving the door hinge supports off or at least one off before body install. With both installed clearing even one can be tough.

P4060001.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to my great friend, Bob K, we got the body installed today. Finally some room to work. It sure is fun installing bolts for the last time........

P4060002.JPGP4060003.JPGP4060004.JPGP4070005.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 04-07-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Once the doors are adjusted prior to removing the body ( after body work ) I always drill a 1/8" hole for a cleko. That way, when the doors go on for the last time, there's little or no adjustment to fuss with on final assembly after aligning with a cleko. I do the same for the hood, trunk and grill. I just fill the holes with drive rivets on the ones that show afterwards.

Nice work Boz !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tim. That would have been a great idea had I thought of it. Hoping to really fine tune fitment during the final assembly, then apply the striping. I cleaned up the wiring on the upper part of my dash before body install but the rest is going to take a while. I figure final assembly will still take a few months?? Time to get in gear and start the title process.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just me or does your last attachments come up invalid?

Post Thanks / Like
    invalid to me also

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I fixed it and added a today pic, I don't know why it did that?? Hood and side panels are just sitting in place, just had time today to loosely install the right door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Final mounted all the trunk aluminum, be forewarned a very minute shift in the body mount will make some rivet holes not align properly especially the sides after the bulb seal is installed. Took damn near a day to get everything aligned again. I had planned on using the insulating material shown in the cockpit but changed my mind so I put it to good use in the trunk. The piece of carpet provided for the three link cover leaves a seam showing so I took some carpet shavings and used Elmers glue (dries clear) to clean up the seams. Overall I like it and no more tinny/echo sounds in the trunk. One tool that has come in handy is a gasket hole punch. Mine is a Mac with a bunch of hole sizes. I use it to punch nice clean holes in the insulation and carpet.
    Last but not least I bought an orange shifter ball to match the orange pinstripe I'll be adding to the car. Gotta say I got this from Sickspeed on ebay and it's a very nice piece especially for under 25 bones shipped to my door.

P4100001.JPGP4110004.JPGP4110006.JPGP4100003.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 04-12-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its looking great man. Doesn't seem like it took you too long on the body work. How much time do you think you had in it (the body work)??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbksv View Post
    Its looking great man. Doesn't seem like it took you too long on the body work. How much time do you think you had in it (the body work)??
    Since I'm a novice I'd say 1-200 hours. With a bunch of room where I could spread things out I could have shaved a good bit of time off of that. I'm convinced that when you get to the end of the manual it should say congratulations you're about halfway done............

Post Thanks / Like
    It's coming along Boz. It looks awesome.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Really looking good Boz! way to go!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom and Evan. I'm working on interior panels now to cover some holes like the door hinge mount area, the excess holes by the seat belt mounts and anywhere I can see light through the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. I would like to see what you come up with for those areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing fancy just some plates like so. Had to make a little spacer for the trunk rod after carpet was installed.

I'm glad to be on this forum where people understand it takes hours to put wire loom on your battery cables and add some additional supports.............

P4130007.JPGP4130008.JPGP4130009.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Final assembly is a slow go but I try to accomplish something every day. I have to admit I hate wiring and the harness I made for the gauges really isn't working out so every work/play session I do some more clean up under the dash. I've been hesitant to eliminate any wires up to this point but obviously there are several that won't be utilized in my application. I did find though that grinding the bolt heads off the trunk and hood latch bolts make aligning them much easier. I had painted the insides of the engine bay side panels silver but when I installed them they looked terrible so I just went with flat black and I really like the contrast better. Turned my former body cart into a parts bin for the 64 Fairlane. This cart has been a handy accessory and it was free from Kroger to boot.

P4160001.JPGP4160002.JPGP4160004.JPG
    Last edited by Boz1911; 04-16-2014 at 07:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy! those are some serious cylinder heads for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I can say is Wow Boz. It looks incredible. Nice job. I wish you were able to get it out to HB so I could see it in person. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    All I can say is Wow Boz. It looks incredible. Nice job. I wish you were able to get it out to HB so I could see it in person. Well done.
    Thanks Evan, wish I had some of the custom touches yours does, I do have some ideas floating around though. I did get my paperwork filled out for my title finally, plan on mailing out Friday. Congrats on being legal by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Boy! those are some serious cylinder heads for sure.
    Those are for the 557 econo-motor I'm building. The block is probably ready but I'm not. The 33 has priority.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Boz, great work!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crspdsk8 View Post
    Looking good Boz, great work!!
    Thanks she's getting there.

A little thing to not do. I had the trunk release cable snug, with the intention of removing all the slack and tightening up after final adjustments. I was adjusting the latch and yes you guessed it, the cable came loose. So now I have a finished trunk locked and no way to open it.
    I tried to loosen the trunk hinges and access the latch to no avail. My last hope was to drill a hole in the bottom behind the latch bracket and flip the latch with a screw driver. Thank goodness that worked and it didn't make any mess since that piece of carpet behind the bracket is an individual piece. I used a chrome plug to seal the hole and now I'll always have an emergency access point should anything happen to the cable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just a thought Boz,

I have a small diameter cable that runs down from the trunk latch with a loop on it can that be accessed under the car. it can be easily hidden. Pictures on my build page.

I also made the sheet metal cover plate for the 3 link removable to access the trunk for such an event and adjusting trunk hinge arms. I have a solenoid trunk release, so I took extra precautions.

Looks GREAT Boz !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tim, the 3-link cover is good idea. This access hole is neat and tidy though should something like that happen again.

Got the interior matted finally, takes a lot more material than you realize. Got the carpet installed, now it's back to cleaning up the wiring..........

P4200006.JPGP4200007.JPGP4200009.JPGP4200010.JPGP4200011.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Boz...how do you like that Thermo tec stuff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbksv View Post
    Looks good Boz...how do you like that Thermo tec stuff?
    Thanks,
    Its reasonably priced and sticks extremely well. I used two boxes for the interior. I plan on using it again on my 64 Fairlane

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Boz. What are you using on the waterfall behind the seats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Looks good Boz. What are you using on the waterfall behind the seats?
    I used the mat up to the fuel tank and undercoat on the back of the waterfall. I also used weatherstrip between the waterfall and the body. I've heard that glass to glass contact will make noise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got a little done today. Insulated the doors and door panels and made some striker bolt covers. Also felt the trunk was a bit bland and I didn't really have any good use for the really nice FF emblems so I added an old school tool box with the FF emblem. I do plan on attaching it to the floor and put a few tools in it.

P4230002.JPGP4230001.JPGP4230003.JPGP4230004.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice striker covers, might have to steal that one Boz. Speaking of the trunk...my trunk lid doesn't even match the radius of the body. I'm probably going to have to fabricate something like Erik Hansen used on his, nothing like adding more to my plate. Looks like you are coming to the end, it looks incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Evan, there is still a lot to do, and I've been putting off the final wiring. Guess I need to make some kind of check list. My trunk lid fit is okay but not perfect, if I can't get it a little better some supports may also be in order also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Evan,

I might have something for the trunk lid. If you'd like. give me a call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do Tim. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Took me only a few minutes to realize I did not like the push pin plan on the door panels. The flanges on my doors are too thin for the pins to go in or be removed without damage. Since most of the car is assembled with polished stainless button head bolts, I just continued the theme. I will say the doors now sound and feel like real doors.

P4250007.JPGP4250008.JPGP4250009.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Just been doing all the little things on my to do list. Got most of the wiring cleaned up, made my third gauge harness, replaced the tiny indicator lights with some regular size ones. Got the roll bar final mounted and reinstalled the windshield to see the "roadster" version. Really looks like two different cars with or without the top. Still need to install the footbox and forward trans tunnel carpet. I still had a gap above the front of the tunnel I could see light through so I made some plates to fit that area, also made some covers for the trunk hinges where they go into the car. I didn't care for just slit the carpet method. I lined them with leather so the hinges rotate through the leather and are sorta gapless now.

P5070014.JPGP5070015.JPGP5070017.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I am at the pinnacle of frustration. Working today on the 33 I picked up some fuel for the Fairlane. Since I had a couple extra gallons I put the extra in the 33. A little while later I noticed a drip on the floor and sure enough it was fuel. Pulled the seats, roll bar and waterfall and of course this POS tank leaks at the sending unit. I finally got the mess cleaned up (what's accessible) but now I have to find a freaking seal that won't leak.
    For anyone buying a 33 do NOT use the FF tank, it is a giant piece of crap and has caused me nothing but headaches. I'm committed to this thing now but what a failure in design. I can't believe FF allows something this dangerous and noxious to even be considered as a critical part of a vehicle.
    Last edited by Boz1911; 05-15-2014 at 07:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your frustration Boz. I went through the same thing. I decided to give the FFR tank a shot regretted the decision. I switched to the Boyd but still am having issues with the sending unit reading accurately. Hang in there bud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your leak. I was lucky and went with the boyd tank right away. I really do not understand why FFR does not fix this problem. 818 guys are suffering the same. I guess it is just one of those things. I do think I read in some thread about using a round seal to fix the leak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom and Evan, headed out this morning to find something better. Thank goodness for an electric fuel pump to drain the overage. I had a line at the firewall that I could disconnect and drain into a fuel can. I've removed the seal, although I don't like tapping on metal with a bunch of raw gas sitting under the sender. I have some brass punches I use for gun work so I used one of those to avoid spark. My whole car and shop smell like fuel now, momma's not any happier than I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1911 View Post
    ....." Really looks like two different cars with or without the top........"
    I completely agree. Hard Top, Roadster and even Soft Top all seem to change the car's personality.

Very pretty car! I probably would have two toned my car in a similar fashion, but my wife said I already had too many gray cars! (Passat W8, Touareg, '61 Jag Mk II) So, she convinced me to try some new colors.

Best regards, Tom

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast