Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Matthew's 33 on the track

Post Thanks / Like

Matthew's 33 on the track

If you didn't see this somewhere else, here are a couple of on-track videos of my 33 which has now been in service for a month. First, the WCMA road race licensing school on the road course at Castrol Raceway in Edmonton, Alberta, where it was raced in the snow:

http://youtu.be/GwZblXGhK2k

And here it is last weekend on the NHRA drag strip at Medicine Hat, Alberta where it ran 11.65, 1.57 60' and 114.5 MPH passes and went to the Sportsman semi-final on saturday.

http://youtu.be/EaaOYeYw-2I

-Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, if you can drive a 2000lb car with rear wheel drive and over 300HP in THAT, you are the man! Good job!

Post Thanks / Like
    This car is about 2800 pounds with me in it and about 435 HP. It's pretty tough to really commit to the front straight when the downside is a concrete wall and the weather is so bad, but it is scheduled to be back on that road course June 8 so hopefully the weather will be a lot more favorable. I'm sorry but I could not figure out how to get the youtube video embedded on this forum. If a moderator here knows the secret, please edit my post to embed it.

-Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Canadian snow-racing eh?

Beautiful sound and that last drag-strip run was impressive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done Matthew!! Awesome driving in the snow. I gather you got your licence.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the paperwork that is required for a wheel to wheel license but have only applied for a time attack license at the moment. I have a year to apply for wheel to wheel but this car will not be run wheel to wheel. I'm sure some of you think it is crazy enough to run Time Attack with it but wheel to wheel would be a bit much even for me! I have held a Time Attack license before but it expired since our local track was closed a couple of years ago. If I decided to get the wheel to wheel license I have been offered a ride later in the year to prove it up since I work with lots of road race guys on the dyno.

I made about 20 passes at Medicine Hat on the weekend so I might make a little compilation of some of the quicker passes back to back to back but I figured I might as well get some video out of a couple of the representative passes. I have high def in-car for most of them as well, so maybe I will include some full screen in-car too. It's a fun car on the strip, and I was pleasantly surprised by how hard it hit and how straight it ran with the bias ply rear/radial front combination. I have run maybe 1000 passes like that in Mustangs and every single one of them has been a little bit of a handful on the top end with a "tail wagging the dog" effect. The 33 was dead straight, even with 13 psi in the rears. I think it must be because I have 51% of the weight on the back and a typical Mustang has about 57% on the front.

-Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice driving under less than ideal conditions. What mufflers are you running...sounds great?

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Very nice driving under less than ideal conditions. What mufflers are you running...sounds great?

Evan
    It has the kit exhaust on it right now. It is WAY too small for this combination and is costing me quite a bit of power - probably about 70 HP over a right sized exhaust - but balancing the power and handling are a more important consideration on a road course car and there was so much other customization on this project that I decided to let a proper exhaust wait for a future iteration. It's handful enough on the road course now so adding a bunch more power might not be the smartest move anyway!

-Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a little bonus video with more of the quick runs and full screen in-car video for each one.

http://youtu.be/vlWku1R-7HM

-Matthew

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    It has the kit exhaust on it right now. It is WAY too small for this combination and is costing me quite a bit of power - probably about 70 HP over a right sized exhaust - but balancing the power and handling are a more important consideration on a road course car and there was so much other customization on this project that I decided to let a proper exhaust wait for a future iteration. It's handful enough on the road course now so adding a bunch more power might not be the smartest move anyway!

-Matthew
    Thanks Mathew, I appreciate the info. Sounds great

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, looks great turning or going straight !!. Looks like the Et's were fairly consistent.