FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Average build cost

Post Thanks / Like

Average build cost

Hi everyone! I am new to factory five and this forum and was just wondering, how much have you actually put into your car? I have heard estimates about how much it costs but I was just wondering how much should I actually expect to pay to build a ffr car? Also, since the engine is the biggest cost, what engine did you use? (Thank you and sorry if something has already been posted)

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard!

It's pretty hard to give you an average cost as everyone has different abilities / styles and goals. How much work can you do by yourself? How much do you need to pay someone for? What style are you shooting for a trailer queen/show car or just a driver? What kind of horsepower? Personally I don't pay much attention to what someone says they paid for anything for just that reason. I have no idea what was involved in what their costs were.

Actually, the engine/trans/rear may not be the biggest expense, you can source them new for less than $10K if you shop around. if you have the hire out the body and paint work, that could easily go over $10K. Wheels and tire can go anywhere from $1000 to $4000 or more.

I know that's not answering your question, but you see it's not a simple formula. I'll throw this out though. If you did everything and paid no one and built using a donor drive train and basic wheel and tires, minimal bodywork and a back yard paintjob, you could probably swing it for under $30K or even less. If you build the car yourself, new engine/drive train, reasonable wheels and tires, hire out the paint and body, you probably in the $45K range minimum.

As far as how much I spent, I'd rather not go there! I have a habit of doing things two and three times and donating parts to the DMV, but that's a long drawn out ugly story for another time