BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Small block help

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Small block help

I know there are guys here who have encyclopedic knowledge of 302 engines, so I'm taking a shot at getting advice. I have a 1956 T-bird that's really not a restoration candidate, but it will make a neat show and shine cruiser. I want a 302/AOD combination, maybe even with factory fuel injection. What's the latest model vehicle that I can use for a donor? Which ones have HO engines with GT40 heads? I just want to use a takeout, since I don't have the cash or time for a full rebuild or a crate engine. TIA
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I would go with a 1989 through 1993 Mustang, since you are putting it back in a Ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    The '87-'93 Mustang is a good candidate, but they do not come with GT-40 heads except for the '93 Cobra and good luck finding an engine from one of those. The '87-'88 is speed density, but if you're just building a cruiser and do not plan to hot rod it they are still usable. The '89-'93 has mass air and is more acceptable of air flow/performance mods.

As for the latest to use the 5.0L HO that would be the Explorer. It was used in the Explorer up until 2000 or 2001 I think. The engine in the Explorer has a Cobra-like intake manifold with a 90-degree throttle body elbow. However these parts can be swapped for standard Mustang parts. The engine uses a cam position sensor in place of the distributor and a coilpack setup. Some convert them to coil-near-plug, but you can simply drop a distributor in place of the cam position sensor and then use an aftermarket wiring harness to run it. Or you could just drop a carb and intake on it.

Any other questions Joe you have my personal email.

Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's interesting. The later the model year the lower the mileage I guess.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    That's geneally correct Joe, but don't count out a Fox Mustang. They've been around the block long enough to have a fresh engine or rebuild on them and if one gets wrapped around a pole (not so great brakes on those cars!) after a fresh rainfall you could be looking at Craigslist gold.

My '90 is on it's third engine in its 23 year lifespan. Stock one went out at 114K, the 347 I had in it was still running strong but making noise due to failed roller lifters/cam lobes at around 228K and now I have the original engine back in it with a fresh rebuild, ported iron heads, E-cam, etc. with about 17K miles on it. If I was to total it tomorrow it would be a nice engine for someone. So just keep your eyes open and don't count out older 5.0Ls just on model year. Find out the mileage, if it's been recently rebuilt/built/installed, etc.

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Your kind of logical advice is why I posted this here.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a good 302 complete with clutch and t5 5 spd trans that I just removed from my cobra and replaced it with a 347. If you are interested , contract me and I'll give you more detail.