Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Winners and Submissions for FFR-GRM Design Contest Open to Comments

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Weekly Winners and Submissions for FFR-GRM Design Contest Open to Comments

I figured I would start this post as a way to keep guys updated on the weekly design winner and other interesting submissions. We will not publish all submissions at this time. Here are a few:

Week 1

Week 2
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 03-15-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I like week 2 the best right now
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    my 2!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    As well, more down to earth, not over the top, well balanced, good taste, good design!! Xabier has put level quite high i think, great contender here! And he's a neibourgh for me...almost!

Post Thanks / Like
    I like week 2 for the overall design. And the built in roll bars behind the seat look nice.
    How would the doors open? Regular or Lambo style? Will there be any storage space
    under the front lid?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... for me it's a bit of a tough call right now. Yes, wk2 is more practical, but Steven Wang's wk1 concept looks like it's going 180mph when it's parked. A part of me says if I'm going to invest the time and money into building a kit car, I want it to not only perform, but be a real head-turner as well -- wk1 does that for me. IMO it would require some tweaks, however, to make it more practical and comfortable:

1. Remove the portion of the body that divides the cockpit.
    2. Add windshield [obviously]
    3. Offer an optional hardtop, if possible.
    4. Squeeze in a small trunk up front [or somewhere]

That's it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Uuh, it may well have been a submission, but the sketch shown on the bottom left (signed Barney '05) is actually a Lotus sketch for the concept that became the 2-11.
    http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/...esigncomp.html
    I'm sure it's copyright free for editorial use but I'm not sure this qualifies...

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to concur with Gearsmith.

How many times have we all started drooling over a concept car that turns into vaporware six months later? Steven Wang's design screams concept car, but looks (with the above tweaks) very doable, manageable, and I think would still look awesome to the owner two years down the road (no loss of novelty factor).

With all respect, Xabier's sketch looks like the (very nicely put-together and still very sexy) lovechild of a Boxster and a Miata. Nice lines? Absolutley. New lines? Not so much...

I can't help but think that you'll be (soon tired of) answering the question of if that's the new Mazda...
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" -George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    I have to concur with Gearsmith.

How many times have we all started drooling over a concept car that turns into vaporware six months later? Steven Wang's design screams concept car, but looks (with the above tweaks) very doable, manageable, and I think would still look awesome to the owner two years down the road (no loss of novelty factor).

With all respect, Xabier's sketch looks like the (very nicely put-together and still very sexy) lovechild of a Boxster and a Miata. Nice lines? Absolutley. New lines? Not so much...

I can't help but think that you'll be (soon tired of) answering the question of if that's the new Mazda...
    Ironically I think exactly the opposite, Xabier's car looks considerably more 'doable', considerably more practical, at least considers using elements such as the Impreza's headlights and whilst there are some faint hints of other cars in there, they are just that so in my mind they are new lines.

We do agree on some things though and with all due respect to Steven Wang's design it does indeed scream 'concept car' and for that reason alone and for the very same reason why you almost never see a concept car become a production car, I prefer the more realistic possibility of Xabier's design.

New Mazda? Not really, new Lotus? Maybe, new Ferrari? Less likely, new Pontiac/Saturn Solstice/Sky comeback car? Most likely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    We do agree on some things though and with all due respect to Steven Wang's design it does indeed scream 'concept car' and for that reason alone and for the very same reason why you almost never see a concept car become a production car, I prefer the more realistic possibility of Xabier's design.
    Exactly. I don't want to look like I'm driving around in a cartoon.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't want to look like I'm driving around in a cartoon either and Steven Wang' design is too over the top. However I think Xabier's design is way too vanilla. There are already too many miatas/boxters/s2000s around, if I wanted one I would buy it. Give me something low, fast and racy like a lotus 211 or NXXN's design over at Grassroots.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    I don't want to look like I'm driving around in a cartoon either and Steven Wang' design is too over the top. However I think Xabier's design is way too vanilla. There are already too many miatas/boxters/s2000s around, if I wanted one I would buy it. Give me something low, fast and racy like a lotus 211 or NXXN's design over at Grassroots.
    I think what mostly makes the 211 look racy is that is doesn't have anything above the beltline except a minimal windscreen. Take the Xabier design, chop off most of the windshield, lose the humps, add a big wing, and you've got a sort of FFR 211. So perhaps if something like the Xabier was chosen, there could be a 'track' body that was the same basic design, but less windshield, bare rollbars, optional wing? Not that you couldn't drive this 'track' version on the street (if your DMV allows), or the 'normal' version on the track.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seem to recall a lot of kit cars from the 70's & 80's that went for that exotic look. Looking at them now, one would be inclined to say "epic fail".

Steven's car is great conceptially, but I can't consider it more than that. Honestly, I feel like the wife and I would have to dress up like Batman and Robin every time we wanted to drive it (and I hope she would let me be Batman...this time). And our house doesn't have multiple levels, so we couldn't slide down a couple of poles to change.

What I like most about Xabier's drawing is the front grill. It looks like it wants to be a C---a, but more rounded. The rear is nice, but yeah, it is remarkably similar to the Lotus and I'm not sure I'd want people telling me that it looks like it. That's not the takeaway I'd want.

The contest has only been open a couple of weeks and there are some amazing designs. Can't wait to see the ultimate winning design and what FF decides to do with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keys to heaven, LOL!! Agree with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah... one more thing. So I toil and tinker for months and months building my kit car, fuss over getting everything just right, roll it out of my garage all proud and excited, and soon after some auto manufacturer comes out with a similar looking car. That would suck. I don't think that would happen if I built Steven Wang's wk1. And that's a good thing.
    Last edited by Gearsmith; 03-18-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you built Steven Wangs design I fear most folks would think you'd attempted to build yourself a Mach V.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Horhay View Post
    If you built Steven Wangs design I fear most folks would think you'd attempted to build yourself a Mach V.
    Like this one?
    mach5-speed-racer.jpg
    Click to enlarge.
    Last edited by Gearsmith; 03-19-2011 at 06:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly.

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur.
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Post Thanks / Like
    From thebeerbaron's blog:

"Now I understand why Dave Smith has been so vehement that this car knock your socks off. It's not a matter of making a car that is just a good looking car. It has to be striking. Maybe he's not directly suggesting fins and guns (I think the permitting process for mounting automatic weapons to a vehicle might involve more headaches than the entire "Carroll" battle), but in order to be successful, this design has to distinguish itself not only in terms of performance per dollar, but sheer wow factor."

Which is precisely why Steven Wang's week 1 is still my #1 favorite. Yes, it definitely needs few tweaks as noted in my post #6 above, but is very doable and not way out there as some concepts I've seen.

And... a Mach V it is not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of us think just the opposite. I feel week 2 is more "knock your socks off" than week 1. Week 1, to me, is more "Batman, where did you park the car?" and gives me an overall vibe of trying too hard. I agree that both are very workable for the final product. Week 1 just needs a realistic front chin height.

I am enjoying seeing all the drawings/renderings. For those who haven't seen the parrallel thread over on the Grassroots Motosports forums, you should check it out every few days. Lots of good designs over there too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its a fine line. If it looks a little too outragious, even if it performs outragiously it'll only sell to those of us that care more about performance than looks. If it looks like a cartoon, or worse, a 70's kit car, it will still be a great car, just not a great selling car.

I think the looks need to be just wild enough to not look like just another sporting car. Any more risks the looks being a detraction, rather than an asset. Let the performance be the selling point, the looks just need to not get in the way. That is what I like about the Xabier/week 2 design.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

I would like to suggest that Factory Five consider making more than one body style available for the 818 chassis. There will always be a substantial group of potential customers who really want the Batman/Speed Racer/Jetsons avant guard look. At the same time there are probably more than a few geezers like me who yearn for a more nostalgic and classical body design. When I look at the designs picked as the weekly winners so far, I feel a strong need to reach for a lunch bucket. That is just me though, others probably love the swoopy sharp-edged designs just fine. I am more in the C-type Jaguar body style camp although I recognize full well that we are dealing here with a mid-engined (behind the cockpit) chassis which will require side scoops to direct air to the intakes and air to the radiator. This makes sizeable fronts scoops and grills superfluous except for air delivery to the passengers. If there are others out there who agree with me about the idea of having more than a single body design available, it would be helpful if you would make your wishes known here. Otherwise, stand-by for a probable batman derived design.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Budd View Post
    I would like to suggest that Factory Five consider making more than one body style available for the 818 chassis. There will always be a substantial group of potential customers who really want the Batman/Speed Racer/Jetsons avant guard look. At the same time there are probably more than a few geezers like me who yearn for a more nostalgic and classical body design. When I look at the designs picked as the weekly winners so far, I feel a strong need to reach for a lunch bucket. That is just me though, others probably love the swoopy sharp-edged designs just fine. I am more in the C-type Jaguar body style camp although I recognize full well that we are dealing here with a mid-engined (behind the cockpit) chassis which will require side scoops to direct air to the intakes and air to the radiator. This makes sizeable fronts scoops and grills superfluous except for air delivery to the passengers. If there are others out there who agree with me about the idea of having more than a single body design available, it would be helpful if you would make your wishes known here. Otherwise, stand-by for a probable batman derived design.
    Actually, there is already a 'Multiple Bodies' thread. I'd suggest people post there wishes there instead, to keep things all in one place. Incidentally, Dave replied to that thread and stated that multiple bodies is indeed a possibility (though he didn't hint at when, or how 'if'). So go over to that thread and try to convince him.

Post Thanks / Like
    week 2, please!

Post Thanks / Like
    Driving around in a Cartoon?
    The black one looks like the "Batmobile" and the white one does look like Speed Racers "Mach 5"....... they are a bit cartoon-ish.

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Team KT - Week 4 Winner for March 25

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Liking it. Not too exotic, clean lines, simple with a angular slant to it. Looks a little ungainly in the rear, but I'll reserve for another view. I could stand a lower beltline aroung the passenger cell.

Post Thanks / Like
    This Greek team comming with nice things...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanos' designs are some of my favorites at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    most all of them look great.
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Narcis Mares - Week 5 Winner for April 1

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    TK 4 design: Not liking the triangle shaped indent behind the front wheel, I'd drop that. Most of their other versions of this design I've seen posted didn't have that, and liked those better. Also, the way the line of the top of the rear vent runs all the way to the hood, again, like it better the way its done in some of their other renderings posted elsewhere in this forum.

Overall I _really_ like this design. Its very aggressive, yet does not look like a comic book character. Its exotic, yet does not make one immediately think Ferrari or Lambo. I think it wuold satisfy those looking for something wild, while not upsetting those that don't want a mini-supercar clone. It also appears easy to add a top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Narcis Mares, week 5 - Its difficult to comment on this design, as its so difficult to 'see' what it looks like. All I've got to go on is the Iron Man inspired nose (think comic book, not triathalon) with hood scoop, and some sort of external rollbar looking thing going up the outside of the body.

I'd prefer a 3/4 front view from a higher angle. This view looks like I'm sitting on the floor or something. Hoping for more views so effective comments can be supplied.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oppenheimer, again your comments here are really helpful and interesting. We are going to review those parts and come back with more sketches soon. PhyraM we will also consider your proposals on our design. You both have a point there. Olimk2, Sonicrex thanks a lot for your comments

Post Thanks / Like
    This week winner is somewhat down for me after what we've seen so far...What is doing that STI scoop there?Looks more a Murtaya restyling to me. The facia is nice nevertheless.
    Thanas i agree with the comments above, be carefull as well with the air exit before front wheel, it's not really justied for radiator as you have a brake intake blocking it, but moreover this kind of things are a nightmare to produce... I like the blue one most... so far! You're a design student or already working as a designer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not liking week 5 at all. Between the Ford-ish nose, the Subaru-ish hood scoop (mid engined?), and the overexagerated wheels I can't find much to like, personally (of course). However, I agree the angle is bad and you can only see the nose.

I'm looking forward to more angles/views.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Not liking week 5 at all. Between the Ford-ish nose, the Subaru-ish hood scoop (mid engined?), and the overexagerated wheels I can't find much to like, personally (of course). However, I agree the angle is bad and you can only see the nose.

I'm looking forward to more angles/views.
    I agree. Doesn't look nice at all. Where is the "cab-forward" design that is a trademark of mid-engined cars? So far I like week 4 much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    where are the pics of the week 3 winner??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
    where are the pics of the week 3 winner??
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ontest-Winners[/URL]

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast