Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Weekly Winners and Submissions for FFR-GRM Design Contest Open to Comments

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I really like ScottyB's for the same retro-modern reasons. I see a little but of Retro Rally via a Stratos feel, which I love. My only nit-pick is that the lower lip on the nose is too low, but that is easily remedied. I really like the integrated targa and honestly believe that's the way to go, but also wonder how a full roadster (without helmet humps) would look, if it needs to be trimmed for budget or bodywork reasons.

ScottyB's is for the race-cruiser, ready-for-the-fight look that I think will appeal to many that turn their own wrenches and breath cars.

Xabier's is just plain beautiful - Without all that intagible "extra" that loads down a supercar. And that's a good thing to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also 100% agree. Scotty B's design has alot of 70's sports car flair. And it looks gorgeous doing it. If the 818 looks like that in the end, I can forsee lots of time spent in the garage drinking beer on the stool while admiring it.

Xabier's car is also good in its own right. It has that late Miata feel to it. Something that is definitely easy on the eyes, but at the same time, not too flashy or overdone.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    Mods: Everything except body kits and bling.
    1969 Datsun Fairlady
    Mods: SR20DET+GT2871 (work in progress)

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very honored to have been chosen this week in light of the great designs we are seeing. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I chose a targa from the get-go due to flexibility. It may be that a roadster is the only practical solution, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Much props to you, Scotty. I'm vacillating between your design and team KT, depending on where my retro/modern mood pendulum happens to sit at the moment.

On a side note, Chris Mahoney's design is stunning, but even I have to admit it's way too complicated to get made.
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" -George Carlin

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is going to be a tough decision........
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Gun. I'm really digging Team KT, Xabier's, and NXXN's (over at GRM). and those are just the people who have posted theirs. who knows what other good stuff is out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    You know it's funny, I didn't even think about ScottyB's design as being retro until I saw some mention of it. To me, that's a testament to the design. I think that it has a look that will suite the majority of potential buyers. Well done Scotty. To add to this, I recently dug up Scotty's original design which I initially brushed off because I thought it was too retro, which I find ironic since I love his new one sooo much and they share a lot of similarities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Thanks Gun. I'm really digging Team KT, Xabier's, and NXXN's (over at GRM). and those are just the people who have posted theirs. who knows what other good stuff is out there.
    Yeah, I hate to admit it, but upon further review and after sitting in one, I'm digging the gen 3 Miata, and Xabier's design, which I initially brushed off as too much like a Miata. I was a silly bunny. Though Xabier's still sits on the outside looking in IMO, I can see it having a very broad appeal, with a little tweaking to add just a dash more aggressiveness in the lines.

Also, many of our opinions could be changed depending upon what other angles we see of the design. Beautiful grill work with a horrific rear end hidden in the one shot we see of our "favorite"? Entirely possible. I love the lines on the new Camaro, except the rear end.
    Last edited by Gun Bunny; 05-21-2011 at 10:19 AM. Reason: I can't say ***?!?
    "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?" -George Carlin

Post Thanks / Like
    This third design is the favorite of Grassroots Motorsports editor Tim Suddard. The car has modernized Pantera-esque lines and is probably a bit more expensive to manufacture, but I loved it so much, I had to put it up.

WOW! This just made it to the top of my list for all submissions

Post Thanks / Like
    No disrespect intended here but does Week 11 winner look like a Speed Racer car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mske390 View Post
    This third design is the favorite of Grassroots Motorsports editor Tim Suddard. The car has modernized Pantera-esque lines and is probably a bit more expensive to manufacture, but I loved it so much, I had to put it up.

WOW! This just made it to the top of my list for all submissions
    I'm too young to know what a Pantera is, (thanks, Google!) but that design isn't Pantera-inspired; it's a total rip-off. (No offense, Tim.) Other entries have been bashed for looking too much like a Porsche, like a Miata, or <fill in the blank fast car.> I don't see why this one gets a free pass.

It's a fine design, but anyone seeing it will think it's a Pantera. Period. Either restored or a kit car replica - which is one of the things all the other designers have worked enormously hard to avoid.
    Last edited by bromikl; 05-22-2011 at 09:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a fine design, but anyone seeing it will think it's a Pantera. Period. Either restored or a kit car replica - which is one of the things all the other designers have worked enormously hard to avoid.
    Sorry that I hit a nerve but here is a comment from Dave about the design, seems to me that there is nother wrong mimicking a design? There is some pretty amazing design work throughout this site but of all the designs the pantera based one is one that I would make a point to purchase. I can't say that any others evoke this from me but that is just one persons opinion.

Lets talk about what you want to see on body design and any other engineering questions you may have. I would love to see cars like the attack and Porschge 918 and lotus 211 that seem to come close (if someone knows how to post photos, I'd love to see em on this post (I'm still lagging on the forum skills), but the design competiton will be the best place to formally do this. March 1st is the competition launch date. We will have a ton more details going forward on that date.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I understand your comment about the pantera design being close to the original. My feeling is, (and I've tried to make the design competition open to alot of different interpretations of cars and shapes) that almost call cars borrow design lines and trends from other cars. I can list 1000 cars that have direct similarities to others. Maybe due to solving the same aerodynamic, space, packaging demands, also maybe due to trends in society (you have to admit that there are distinct "looks" in 1970's supercars, 1980's supercars, 1990's supercars, etc) the era of a car is often seen in common styling cues. Anyway, wide open means some designs will be virtual clones of existing cars (hopefully no longer being made for obvious trademark reasons) while others will be wildly original. We added a "most original design" category for that reason. ANyway, I am humbled by the variety and quality of all the submissions, and want to encourage everyone.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    So there are more chance for the winning design if it's original? F5 would not want a design that feels closely to something familiar? It make sense so the customers won't feel like a cop out of another car.

Post Thanks / Like
    read Daves recent coments in this thread
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...s-NEXT!/page39
    food for speculation

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I'm not a big fan of most of the weekly design winners, with the exception of Xabier's design. I've seen some others that I really like a lot more. Not all of the weekly winners are bad, just that most don't really excite me and a few I think are just downright terrible. Sorry, just my opinion.

Ramarryo just posted his design over on the grassroots site which I think is a really nice design.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for.../32412/page53/

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys this was my submission.

It's a roadster with a removable top.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Spezz; 05-31-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very nice concept! I dig!
    I have my FFR MR ??? donor car ready to go!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456