Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Weekly Winners and Submissions for FFR-GRM Design Contest Open to Comments

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by D2W View Post
    They have, multiple times. People just seem unable to accept it.
    Very true. I believe most are trying to win instead of just designing. In thier effort to win they are doing what they *assume* FFR wants to see, based on other statements FFR has made. Statements suchs as "Single donor", "$10K kit price", "No bodywork by using gelcoat panels", etc.

I'm not an artist, so my natural inclination would be to design to those (artificial?) constraints also. I have a feeling it's the natural artists that can shed the apparant design constrainst the easiest. What method of thinking will eventually win? No idea.

On a personal note, I have no desire to see an otherwise excellent design win, and then get murdered in the translation to production.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Very true. I believe most are trying to win instead of just designing. In thier effort to win they are doing what they *assume* FFR wants to see, based on other statements FFR has made. Statements suchs as "Single donor", "$10K kit price", "No bodywork by using gelcoat panels", etc.

I'm not an artist, so my natural inclination would be to design to those (artificial?) constraints also. I have a feeling it's the natural artists that can shed the apparant design constrainst the easiest. What method of thinking will eventually win? No idea.

On a personal note, I have no desire to see an otherwise excellent design win, and then get murdered in the translation to production.
    I am in this case, trying to follow the original target, will it pay in the end? Don't know... Yes it's "easy" to make a stuning rendering, much harder to make a stuning production car...
    What the point if the winner design can't make it to production (contest rules admit this, remind that this contest is getting ideas over a final product)?
    I would be sad to see that the final 818 has almost nothing to do with some finalist designs.
    The best reward for a car designer (as we are, all contestants, pro or not!) is to see his creation becoming reality, i had this chance already and what a satisfaction!

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave Smith

FF 818

Pls consider designing the engine bay large enough to take a Ford Duratec 3.5 Litre V6 turbo, this generation of engine will see the 818 with all the power needs for its development life cycle.
    Silhouette of a Dino Ferrari 244GT would go nicely and fit the specs nicely too.

AC Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Life View Post
    Dave Smith

FF 818

Pls consider designing the engine bay large enough to take a Ford Duratec 3.5 Litre V6 turbo, this generation of engine will see the 818 with all the power needs for its development life cycle.
    Silhouette of a Dino Ferrari 244GT would go nicely and fit the specs nicely too.

AC Life
    Quote Originally Posted by Factory Five
    World Car
    The engine has been chosen already. The Subaru was chosen because of its worldwide availability for donor cars, and because the donor car has many useable parts that are common through the entire line of Subaru cars.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    Mods: Everything except body kits and bling.
    1969 Datsun Fairlady
    Mods: SR20DET+GT2871 (work in progress)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Life View Post
    Dave Smith

FF 818

AC Life
    Dave,

Please change everything to change my individual desires.

You've got to be kidding me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    Dave,

Please change everything to change my individual desires.

You've got to be kidding me!
    I think he's just wary of what happens when he says EcoBoost in 3 different posts in three different threads. He's done it twice in two threads now. And I hear if you do it a third time, Beetlejuice pulls you into the Underworld and tries to scare you away from the forums.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    1969 Datsun Fairlady

Post Thanks / Like
    AC Life, you just need to realize that a custom engine is simply something that the end user will need to implement. I don't disagree that there are other great engine and drivetrain choices out there, and hopefully there will be available room for these without major body changes, but ultimately I dont think it FF will set the car up for multiple manufacturers engines.

There are also a LOT of Subaru guys already covering this board, so it is tough to argue the merits of other engine choices. In the end I'd say just keep quiet about your own personal choices, and get to work when the car comes out making it a reality. I will say personally that I'm not a fan of the EJ engine series, and think that there are other better options out there, but I do see the reason that it was chosen from a cost/availability aspect.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that a lot:

Zenvo ST1

More pics

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love it, no matter what... Evolved and improved versions of the Porsche 914, Honda CRX or Toyota AE86 would be nifty benchmarks in my opinion. I don't mind "Lotus-y," but Lotus and F5 are chasing the same goals, so it might be good to be distinctive from them.

Whatever it is... I'm excited to see it!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Factory Five should do another press release in May to be picked up by all the blogs and online media outlets. A last push for creative designs before the contest ends.
    It may expand exposure for the project a bit more.

Can't wait for the interior design competition, which I'm hoping to be next.

Post Thanks / Like
    The interior is included in the contest, so far nothing shown but you can include that when you submit a project.

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sebastian Mihai - Week 8 Winner for April 22

Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Kansas City-ish Kansas or, Oklahoma City depending, sheesh...
    Post Thanks / Like
    love the mad dog

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheres the other co-winner for week 8?

Post Thanks / Like
    Their is one thing with some of the designs are making me think about.
    I think here in Pennsylvania you must have wheel covered the with fender
    to the horizontal center line of the wheel. I think Hot Rods are ok but kit
    maybe classified different. Can anyone answer this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sub322 View Post
    Their is one thing with some of the designs are making me think about.
    I think here in Pennsylvania you must have wheel covered the with fender
    to the horizontal center line of the wheel. I think Hot Rods are ok but kit
    maybe classified different. Can anyone answer this.
    my Jeep doesn't cover the wheels, in fact you can see the entire front tire when looking at it from in front of the vehicle, and I have no problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling a lack of excitement about the design winners of the past few weeks? IMHO, everything is starting to look the same.
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc_FFR View Post
    Is it just me, or is anyone else feeling a lack of excitement about the design winners of the past few weeks? IMHO, everything is starting to look the same.
    My lack of excitement is coming from all the designs with huge front air holes and bulging hood lines. It's mid-engine. The radiator is up front and that's it. And it's mounted at an angle. That gives you the ability to make the hood slanted alot. A small inlet and outlet up front is all that is really needed. But the designs I keep seeing seem to feel that there is a need up front for storage space to accommodate a week's worth of luggage, a golf bag and a small child. Some people like the edgy batmobile look, but I'd rather have something smooth and sleek, there are some designs being submitted that fit the bill for me, but then the new weekly winner gets announced, and it is more of the same...big scoops and pointless holes all over it, or it looks like something Batman would drive.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    1969 Datsun Fairlady

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I agree, all the design submissions are too big, too bulky, too much like any other production car. Give me light/simple/small, (Lotus 211).
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I agree, all the design submissions are too big, too bulky, too much like any other production car. Give me light/simple/small, (Lotus 211).
    x1000

Post Thanks / Like
    Lotus 211 with a full windshield and a removable top of some sort. I'm all for that.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    1969 Datsun Fairlady

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    ... and throw in AC, a Bose stereo and power seats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    NO, Maybe, and no. A/C in a roadster? Blasphemy. Bose stereo? Maybe, ANY stereo. Gotta have tunes. Power seats? I'd be fine with a fixed mount Sparco bucket to be honest.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    1969 Datsun Fairlady

Post Thanks / Like
    does the chassis require a front mounted radiator? I don't see why you couldn't rear mount the radiator. Just something to consider. This would eliminate the need for huge air holes in the fascia. I'm not a fan of gaping holes in the front of the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by readymix View Post
    A/C in a roadster?
    I take it you've never driven in 100 degree temps at 100% humidity while stuck in slow moving traffic since you're in MN
    where I imagine that it never gets that hot, humid, or have enough people to cause traffic congestion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't speak to the heat, we get our share of humidity for sure...summer = mosquitos and the need for gills to breathe. Traffic? Half our freeways look like they were air-lifted in from a war torn, third world hell hole. And 90% of our interstates and freeways have only 2 lanes most of the time through the metro area. Getting anywhere in Minneapolis is an absolute nightmare. Minneapolis+St.Paul = over 600k people. But then factor in the surrounding suburb areas and the total comes in closer to 1.5 million people. And they all need to get to the tiny metro areas of St. Paul and Minneapolis. Our freeways hit deadlock pretty quickly. We're no Chicago, but we suck for sure.

Oh, and I haven't had A/C since 2008. I don't see much of a problem with it.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    1969 Datsun Fairlady

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VF48WRX View Post
    does the chassis require a front mounted radiator? I don't see why you couldn't rear mount the radiator. Just something to consider. This would eliminate the need for huge air holes in the fascia. I'm not a fan of gaping holes in the front of the car.
    I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere while doing research for another mid-engine project that the side ducts on the rear quarter panels do not pull in enough air to efficiently cool a radiator because of the turbulance down the side of the car. A mid-engine car already has plenty of heat in the back. Add an intercooler and a radiator just seems like it's going to create a problem. Does anyone know of a mid or rear engine car that has the radiator in the back? I only know of one, and it was mounted horizontally above the engine where an intercooler was supposed to sit. Not the best solution.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    or 2 smaller air inlets on the side instead of a gaping one in the front: Porsche, Lamborghini, etc. style

Or even better, 2 small radiators behind the doors like a true exotic. We don't need anything in the front if the car is mid-engined. Just kills aerodynamics, gas mileage, and makes the style boring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post

Well, I hope another announcement from FFR will help remedy that. Less constraints, more creative design..

Also, I'm sure FFR is flexible enough not to murder the winning design onto production. Even if some of the original parameters need to be changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olimk2 View Post
    The interior is included in the contest, so far nothing shown but you can include that when you submit a project.
    Not a bad idea. I will do that. I do have to admit though, that to me the interior is almost more important than the exterior. - Mostly because I'm planning to spend more time inside the car driving it, than outside staring at a parked car. that's just me though. :-p

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope, you're not the only one..

Maybe it's because this contest is only posted on Grassroots Motorsports and FFR, maybe it needs more internet exposure. There are tons of design blogs out there, some even focusing on car design. I posted about this contest to many forums and blogs I'm a part of, but only few picked it up. I think it would be much more official if FFR would do another press release announcing the final weeks of the contest.

Are design schools all over the world contacted about this project? I think that would make a great final project for some students of these design schools. The money is also a nice bonus. Please help out by doing your part and contacting design schools you know about this project. I'm sure the more of us contact these schools, the more it will be picked up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by olpro View Post
    AC would be nice. (it gets to be over 100*F/40*C where I live) (and it's something that needs to be designed in from the beginning)

Things like Bose stereo, power seats, can be done by the builder afterwards.. Make it custom, make it yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    I take it you've never driven in 100 degree temps at 100% humidity while stuck in slow moving traffic since you're in MN
    where I imagine that it never gets that hot, humid, or have enough people to cause traffic congestion.
    Even in California's dry 100*F weather A/C is a requirement. It makes for a very uncomfortable car and a very *****y girlfriend if passengers aren't comfortable. - Trust me I know!!!!!

On Track days it's nice to crank the A/C to full before hitting the track to cool down the cockpit, so you don't sweat like a pig before one even it the actual road course. Cars can get really hot on the paddock.

If the donor car has A/C I see no reason as to why not include it in the final kit. If a builder chooses not to install it, it's his choice, the rest of us would like the option.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pretty much like all the designs.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooluser23 View Post
    Nope, you're not the only one..

Maybe it's because this contest is only posted on Grassroots Motorsports and FFR, maybe it needs more internet exposure. There are tons of design blogs out there, some even focusing on car design. I posted about this contest to many forums and blogs I'm a part of, but only few picked it up. I think it would be much more official if FFR would do another press release announcing the final weeks of the contest.

Are design schools all over the world contacted about this project? I think that would make a great final project for some students of these design schools. The money is also a nice bonus. Please help out by doing your part and contacting design schools you know about this project. I'm sure the more of us contact these schools, the more it will be picked up.
    what you think with this? I just submitted for the contest.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...44/#post578758

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome car there man. It needs a full windshield though. Very exciting body style!
    I'm waiting to see how the prototype turns out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome car there man. It needs a full windshield though. Very exciting body style!
    I agree. Give it a full windshield. Having it be a convertible top looks feasible in this design. Very nice work, arif.
    I know Subarus.

2004 WRX
    1969 Datsun Fairlady

Post Thanks / Like
    arif - I'm really diggin' that design, nice job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arif View Post
    what you think with this? I just submitted for the contest.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/for...44/#post578758

This I like a lot....looks like a modern version of a classic design. No A/C!!! how many Cobra's have a/c?! My guess none.... this is not an everyday driver. At least it shouldn't be.

Post Thanks / Like
    to some, that arif design may look too much like a $helby $eries 1 for comfort :0(

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast