Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,760 of 2134

Thread: Plavan's 818R Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chad, you mentioned the high water temps and the engine bay heat softening the vacuum lines. Installing the coils to support the hose is really band aiding the root cause.
    The heat is still the cause.
    Can you run with the lower engine shield off for a test run?
    Can you as mentioned above test a larger radiator?
    I'm thinking the air flow through the heat exchanger and then through the radiator is not dropping the outlet temp enough.
    Remember the factory WRX cooling system only has three feet of radiator hose and the 818 has what about twenty five feet of tubes?
    Or the flow rate through the cooling system has slowed due to the length of tubing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC7492 View Post
    Hi Chad, you mentioned the high water temps and the engine bay heat softening the vacuum lines. Installing the coils to support the hose is really band aiding the root cause.
    The heat is still the cause.
    Can you run with the lower engine shield off for a test run?
    Can you as mentioned above test a larger radiator?
    I'm thinking the air flow through the heat exchanger and then through the radiator is not dropping the outlet temp enough.
    Remember the factory WRX cooling system only has three feet of radiator hose and the 818 has what about twenty five feet of tubes?
    Or the flow rate through the cooling system has slowed due to the length of tubing.
    I'm hoping once the oil situation is solved, the other things will magically fix themselves. I believe the primary problem is the oil, if it not, I'll be ditching the undertray or adding NACA ducts to it.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    When is the next race?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you think you could do a string test with some of your vents on your car and video where the strings go when you are driving

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bbjones121 View Post
    Do you think you could do a string test with some of your vents on your car and video where the strings go when you are driving
    Already did that. Its a few pages back. In a nutshell, they work like they should (Except the rear top trunk vent was sucking air in).

I'm in no hurry with the 818 for the next track day. I'm racing this beast on Sept 5th, 6th. There are a few things I need to prep before.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 08-27-2015 at 09:05 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome. Specs on the Porsche? What class do you race?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Already did that. Its a few pages back.
    I don't see you testing the top side vents of the humps lid.
    At least not on page 34 where you test many other vents.
    Have you tested them?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    I don't see you testing the top side vents of the humps lid.
    At least not on page 34 where you test many other vents.
    Have you tested them?
    Those are what I am interested in

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's really nothing left of those vents on the R... the downtube goes right through them.

wuwutWXl.jpg
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 08-31-2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added picture
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    He means these vents:

Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Those vents pass the "looks awesome" test, at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally meant those that longisland-NY-Rangers showed up. I didn't know the downtubes were at a different angle than on the S, never realized that before. But there is still an opening, not sure of its efficacy though.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Chad, got a quick question for you taking a tangent from current topics: How is the elbow room on the left of the seat? I have almost the same seat as you, and I noticed after I got my steering rack/column bolted in last week that the lack of elbow room between the frame and seat on the left side might be problematic. I haven't gotten a steering wheel yet - just using the OEM wheel for test-fit, which is much larger and deeper-dish than the aftermarket steering wheel I will get. An aftermarket wheel should help.

Is it a problem on the racetrack? Do you find yourself wishing you had maybe modified the cage there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach34 View Post
    Chad, got a quick question for you taking a tangent from current topics: How is the elbow room on the left of the seat? I have almost the same seat as you, and I noticed after I got my steering rack/column bolted in last week that the lack of elbow room between the frame and seat on the left side might be problematic. I haven't gotten a steering wheel yet - just using the OEM wheel for test-fit, which is much larger and deeper-dish than the aftermarket steering wheel I will get. An aftermarket wheel should help.

Is it a problem on the racetrack? Do you find yourself wishing you had maybe modified the cage there?
    It's not bad. I don't notice it on the track. The only time I notice it is when I'm putting my belts on before going out on the track. I'm not using a door panel on the drivers side, but I have a real metal intrusion panel (not the thin flimsy FFR one) on the outside of the cage. It's as tall as the last horizontal top cage bar, so I have a little room between the top of the door, and that bar for my elbow when strapping in. I think I nudged my seat to the center just a bit. It's easy to do with the racing seat brackets.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I'm at the point where I need to make sure I don't want to make any more drastic changes to the frame. I'm not sure I could modify the cage without causing tech issues, anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    purely out of curiosity, are you using a td04 on your car?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chad, any tips on checking oil levels? I figured you'd be the best person to ask since you have so much external capacity. I don't have a dry sump and tank like you, but I do have -10 lines going to a big external oil cooler. The lines to the cooler go up, and then down to the cooler and the cooler sits higher than the oil pan. I am wondering how much oil is flowing back into the pan when the engine is off, affecting the readings.

Also, how long does it take for you to see oil pressure after you start? I don't see pressure on mine for ~3 seconds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Hey Chad, any tips on checking oil levels? I figured you'd be the best person to ask since you have so much external capacity. I don't have a dry sump and tank like you, but I do have -10 lines going to a big external oil cooler. The lines to the cooler go up, and then down to the cooler and the cooler sits higher than the oil pan. I am wondering how much oil is flowing back into the pan when the engine is off, affecting the readings.

Also, how long does it take for you to see oil pressure after you start? I don't see pressure on mine for ~3 seconds.
    Mine is pretty much instantaneous with the dry sump set up. With dry sumps, you check the oil level when running in most cases. In your case, I would run the oil a lot higher depending on your oil cooler size (extra quart or so- depending on the size of cooler). Everything will settle in the pan after sitting (depending on your oil line run).

Where is your pressure gauge sender located? (Near Alt?) 3 seconds sounds like a lot. What brand of gauge?
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 09-14-2015 at 05:30 PM.
    Thanks- Chad

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. My gauge sender is located in the stock spot, right next to the alternator. It's a prosport electronic. I have a mechanical gauge on order now and am going to swap out the electric sender for the mechanical one to rule that out. If there is still a delay, I will remove the Mocal sandwich plate and run the oil filter right on the block to see if that doesn't make it faster. If that makes it faster I will have to try to figure something out to keep oil from draining back from the cooler. The cooler is higher than the oil pan, but in order for it to drain, wouldn't air have to get in? It can't pull air in from the pump, and on the other side it goes to the galleys that feed the journals and heads so I'm not really sure where the air would come from. At any rate, if drain back is the issue, I guess I need a one-way check valve in the line sending oil TO the cooler from the block?

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have an anti-drain back valve in the oil filter. These have been known to fail or leak. The oil pump does not provide a seal, nor does it have a check valve.
    Having said that, if the oil cooler is higher than the oil level then it wants to empty and you must have a seal on one end or it will empty itself from gravity or from siphoning. If you have a good seal at the filter then a loss of suction could occur if you have "enough" air in the oil lines or oil cooler. This might occur if you have the cooler mounted in such a position where air could be trapped.
    A small leak, anywhere in the circuit, could allow the suction to fail and the oil to drain out (of at least one of the cooler hoses). I think you would eventually see that leak as oil gets out under pressure. Certainly variations in heating and cooling and pressure or no pressure can affect whether there is a seal, though I've seen this mostly occur in water cooling systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, Peterson recommends not putting a check valve in the system due to the potential for causing cavitation in the oil pump:

http://www.petersonfluidsys.com/tech_faq.html

Hindsight, I'm not sure of your setup. Are you running an Element-type dry sump that is scavenge pump only with the factory oil pump, or are you running a dry sump pump with pressure section? If it's the latter, you can just remove the drive belt and run the dry sump pump with your electric drill for 10 seconds to pressurize the system prior to firing the engine. If it's the Element system, then you can't run the oil pump separate from the crankshaft, so you might want to think about using a small 1qt Accusump just to pressurize the oil system prior to start.

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply guys. I don't want to hijack Chad's thread though.

After starting the car and letting it full warm up (which should have completely filled the lines to the oil cooler), I get oil pressure much faster now. ~3 seconds or so from start. So I think I'm ok. Thanks again for the replies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Long time no update. I raced the 911 and had a blast. It's nice to have a fully functional race car where you do not have to watch gauges like a hawk. The 911 was only 2 seconds slower than the 818 on the same race track configuration :/. I ended up getting 1st in class in all races with 2 overalls (out of three).

I installed these spiral metal springs into new -12AN scavenge oil lines. They will keep the lines from collapsing under vacuum when they get hot, or keep them from kinking in bends. I can step on them and they don't collapse, now I hope that this was the problem.

I rerouted one scavenge line farther from the header, and will make another heatshield to be safe. I'm going to tighten the oil pump belt a little more, then it is time for another test.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    hoping for the best mate.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    As an added bonus- Look who will be out at the track the same weekend with us I just hope everything works right because it will be a great way to compare cars. Maybe I will sneak out in their practice session for fun. I really need a flat rear wing.

Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    As an added bonus- Look who will be out at the track the same weekend with us I just hope everything works right because it will be a great way to compare cars. Maybe I will sneak out in their practice session for fun. I really need a flat rear wing.

Sweet! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow that car is low in front. Wouldn't need more than one reminder to stay off the kerbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck! Those things are crazy fast (with a skilled driver).
    818S - #67 (SOLD IT!)
    Delivered: 18 November 2013
    Go Karted: 29 December 2013
    Titled/Registered: 28 March 2014
    Finished: NEVER!
    341 hp @ 4844 RPM / 389 tq @ 3717 RPM

Post Thanks / Like
    That will be fun! The Lotus cockpit cover is what I'd like to emulate. That and a flat wing.
    That Lotus must have its suspension pretty compressed in that shot.
    Was really disappointed to hear that John George was not able to drive the FFR 818R at Palmer this past weekend. The Electromotive ECU was acting up and I don't think he got in any time on the track with it. BTW, that gray car has power steering!
    FFR gray 818R.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    That #5 test mule appears to have the front of the humps open, which probably does wonders for lowering engine bay temps, but could impose a nasty aero loss. GT-1000 wing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulry View Post
    That #5 test mule appears to have the front of the humps open, which probably does wonders for lowering engine bay temps, but could impose a nasty aero loss. GT-1000 wing?
    I cant tell you it does not do anything. I tried them open.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    That will be fun! The Lotus cockpit cover is what I'd like to emulate. That and a flat wing.
    That Lotus must have its suspension pretty compressed in that shot.
    Was really disappointed to hear that John George was not able to drive the FFR 818R at Palmer this past weekend. The Electromotive ECU was acting up and I don't think he got in any time on the track with it. BTW, that gray car has power steering!
    FFR gray 818R.jpg
    I cant tell you it does not do anything. I tried them open.
    Chad,
    it looks like no windshield, so they may be getting some air in the passenger hump.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like larger side scoops and vents on top of the quarters. I wonder if they would share any of these pictures close up with explanations as to how they work.

Post Thanks / Like
    You've got to beat that Lotus.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    You've got to beat that Lotus.
    They are in a different all Lotus run group. We can compare times..... just hope car works.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Chad,
    it looks like no windshield, so they may be getting some air in the passenger hump.
    Bob
    Yeah- But I tried it. I originally had my air filter there (in the open hump) It still did not get much flow. In fact, when I had the humps open and my coolant overheated, coolant was spewing out my overflow (which is behind the degas tank) from the hump forward in a circular buffeting motion. It got my dash and fuel cell cover wet at speed....... I'm telling you this car is possessed.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a video from my last Vintage race. The video is from a ~600HP Camaro. He has a great rear camera setup. You will see the difference between a Drag racer and a race car (My car @211 RWHP- 2.5L short stroke). The other car is a Canterham kit car. ~260 hp weighing 1000 pounds. The thing was ridiculously fast.

https://youtu.be/QeG20UkxlDE

Last edited by C.Plavan; 09-30-2015 at 11:32 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is it just me or is that Caterham not going nearly as fast as he could through those turns? On most every turn, he straightens out on the inside of the track almost immediately after the apex.... no drifting to the outside edge. With his power to weight ratio, I would think he isn't power-limited there. Maybe he's just late-apexing and I can't see it from this camera angle?

Sure does look like fun. I can't wait to get my 818 into some HPDE days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    Is it just me or is that Caterham not going nearly as fast as he could through those turns? On most every turn, he straightens out on the inside of the track almost immediately after the apex.... no drifting to the outside edge. With his power to weight ratio, I would think he isn't power-limited there. Maybe he's just late-apexing and I can't see it from this camera angle?

Sure does look like fun. I can't wait to get my 818 into some HPDE days.
    Yeah- I could not figure out his line. I'm hanging on for dear life on exit. A car that light with that much power just proved he can go anywhere on the track no problem. He was in a different class. He ended up doing my 818R time. My 911 was 2 seconds off of it. Regardless, still impressive.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 09-30-2015 at 11:47 AM.
    Thanks- Chad

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast