Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Plavan's 818R Build Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Glad you made it back with a running car! I'm sure many will find comfort in that fact.
    Chad, what track config were you running at Buttonwillow?

Were you running advanced group with Extreme Speed? You must have been getting caught it some mad traffic with that spread.
    Thanks Brandon. We ran CW #13 the same as you. Since I had never run with them before, and was testing a new car they threw me in Advanced Intermediate. It had the dumb point by rules too. They said I could go to the higher group after the 2:01 but I would of lost a full session. I was running the same times as the advanced group (one guy was running 1:57's though). It was a little frustrating, but I was just there to test the car.

Other good data:
    Oil temp: Even with my 8 qts of oil and cooler, the oil was getting to 240 degrees. I am going to vent the rear bumper more. The damn thing traps heat. I cant imagine the temps without a cooler. Element Tuning says they can see above 250 in their race car.
    Coolant temp: never got above 220. Mostly in the 210 range.
    AWIC temp: Never got over 120 degree's that I recall. I will look at logs. (around 75 degrees mid day)
    Brakes: I'm not a fan of the stock pedal and Wilwoods. You have to stand on the brakes with alot of force. I plan on upgrading the pads to a racing set I know well to see if that helps with bite.
    After a good run, tighten down all your hose clamps on you coolant lines/tubes. I caught one weeping on the engine (thanks to under engine tray)
    Ditch the center rear view mirror- it was in my line of sight to where I could not see apexs etc. I took it off and was much more comfortable. The side mirrors (convex) provide more than enough vision.

PS I asked Santa this AM for a bigger turbo and injectors for Xmas. I need to see where I would fall in ST1. The TD04 is not good for racing because it poops out too soon. Not to mention I have 272 cams, so its really miss matched.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 12-07-2014 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added brake info
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)