Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: H6-EZ30 engine in the 818----IT FITS

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

H6-EZ30 engine in the 818----IT FITS

Disclaimer-FFR is not supporting the H6 in technical, parts or any other aspect. They are only supporting the 2.0 and 2.5L four cylinder engines.

I ran the donor yesterday morning with the cat back off of it and it sounds so sweet. Sounds just the 911 Porsche. Pulled the donor apart yesterday, pulled the motor out of my 818 this morning, had the H6 in by 10AM, removed it and had my motor back in before lunch. The motor bolted in to the stock location, had about .300" clearance between the passenger side timing cover and frame. Exhaust will have to be custom and the upper coolant has two ports instead of one and will require a 2 into 1 manifold/T of sorts. Did I mention I love the sound???

Disclaimer-FFR is not supporting the H6 in technical, parts or any other aspect. They are only supporting the 2.0 and 2.5L four cylinder engines.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

2. Thanks BLUE KNIGHT thanked for this post
    Likes BLUE KNIGHT, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets hear it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hoo hoo hoo, I'm ready to see that run too! What's the HP rating, and what models does in come out of?

EDIT: Answered my own question:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...baru_EZ_engine

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

5. Thanks BLUE KNIGHT thanked for this post
    Likes BLUE KNIGHT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome!!!! Can't wait to hear it (you are going to let us hear it right? )!
    FFR '33 #325 built with hazelwwp & FFR 818-S #11 Delivered on July 21, 2013
    Facebook 818-S/R Build Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Facto...78385198877613
    Forum 818-S/R Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Build-Thread!
    FFR Project 818 Owner's Registry on Google Map

Post Thanks / Like
    This is awesome.

and just to fuel the fire....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdhSlF5oK94
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. I think the only "issue" with the EZ30 was engine management if you didn't want to spend big bucks.

Pretty cool how quickly you had it in and out and back again. lol.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    "The Sound" is the primary (maybe the only) reason I would ever have seriously considered trying to shoehorn an H6 into this car. To me, the Porsche flat 6 has always been one of the prettiest sounding engines around -- and I had no doubt that the Subie H6 would sound very similar. I'm pretty sure my custom EL headers for my NA H4 will make my 818 sound good -- but there's really no way to make a four-banger sound like a six. I do hope you (Wayne) recorded the sound before you took the engine back out again. Because you're probably going to be HOUNDED until you produce an audio of it. Which means putting it back in again.

Well, come to think of it, another really good reason to put in the six would be for the broad torque curve. I'd love to have that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like this....... Hit HD for better sound/vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CM1qMadE3M

(I'm chasing a 2x Daytona 24 hour winner for the lead)
    Last edited by Wayne Presley; 08-10-2013 at 08:54 AM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Sounds like this....... Hit HD for better sound/vid...........

Yup, that's the sound -- though unless I'm way off base, that IS a flat six Porsche, not a Subie trying to sound like one. Looks like you had some fun there. Classic battle of brute horsepower vs. phenomenal handling. I can't believe how quickly you caught him up in the turns -- but how easily he was able to pull away in the straights. Had to be fun, though! You drive well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the transmission bolt to the frame in the same location? Even though FFR doesn't support the H6, one could start with a NA build and upgrade to a H6 later.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wayne,

So that means the CVs, shafts, etc all line up and the diff fits within the body panels? I suppose Electromotive could support it with a stand alone system. They've done everything else, I think. Love the exhaust note! Thanks, WEK.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 08-08-2013 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Sounds like this....... Hit HD for better sound/vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CM1qMadE3M

Great race! Sounds good too.
    Last edited by Wayne Presley; 08-10-2013 at 08:55 AM.
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne-

I need to hijack a line from the Adam Sandler movie Mr. Deeds. "I think you underestimate my sneakiness Sir!" You Sir, are quite sneaky!!

Congratulations again on your very coolness! I am slack-jawed! Keep on rocking.

Regards,

Steve

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Does the transmission bolt to the frame in the same location? Even though FFR doesn't support the H6, one could start with a NA build and upgrade to a H6 later.
    The trans is in the same location.

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    Wayne,

So that means the CVs, shafts, etc all line up and the diff fits within the body panels? I suppose Electromotive could support it with a stand alone system. They've done everything else, I think. Love the exhaust note! Thanks, WEK.
    All fits, the only tight point is one of the cooling inlets but not a deal breaker

Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Wayne-

I need to hijack a line from the Adam Sandler movie Mr. Deeds. "I think you underestimate my sneakiness Sir!" You Sir, are quite sneaky!!

Congratulations again on your very coolness! I am slack-jawed! Keep on rocking.

Regards,

Steve
    Me sneaky? Nah, just wanted to see if it could be done. The flat 4 sounds great between 3000 and 7000 rpm, just not so much at near idle speeds. Now the flat 6 is pure music to my ears, and that sound tucked in my FFR 818 will be heaven! Dropping the motor in the chassis requires some creative manipulations if you have the intake on the engine. It has to go in about 10° nose down the the tail of the trans swung over to the drivers side about a foot.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One more pic

Post Thanks / Like
    Just seeing this is making me consider blowing my budget and dropping coin on an H6 and engine management. LOVE the sound. Not the smartest reason to spend more money, but man - SO tempting!

Post Thanks / Like
    ok this is a game changer!!! great work Wayne!

I think a turbo 6 could make this little car a real hyper unit!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be just a little bit nervous about that .300" clearance between the timing covers and the frame though. Engines DO move a little on their mounts usually. Might have to make some minor frame alterations. But yes, it's tempting, isn't it?

Personally, I think adding a turbo would be overkill. The thing would probably be bordering on stupid fast in NA mode. But that's just my getting-to-be-an-old-guy opinion. Whatever floats your boat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Now some of the pressure is off buying up all the WRX wrecks. I see your sneaky game plan, diverting attention to the H6.

It's completely natural of course - if some's good, more's better. Enough people beating Dave up on the H6 will likely get some attention to making it an option, the MkII would get a "firewall" upgrade to fit better, etc.

So, finish that car and give Dave the keys. You know he will be hooked. >;E

Post Thanks / Like
    set the drivetrain back an inch, the CV's should handle the small longitudinal offset... slight mod to the rear bodywork...
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgive my ignorance, but could any of the cars which include the more recent H6 (Found in the 2003–2009 Legacy 3.0R, Outback 3.0R and 2006–2007 Tribeca. according to Wiki) be a nearly complete donor? I believe many of these donors would have an auto so you may need to source a transmission and work around the wiring issues, but any comments on whether everything else should work?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think someone will cram an EG33 (3.3 liter) into one of these. They are relatively cheap (not on the Subie enthusiasts radar yet) and can give enough HP with just NA. No replacement for displacement is still valid for small engines, too. Proving that you can put a H6 in without modification is going to open Pandora's box so to speak. Can't wait to see the first build with a six banger! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but could any of the cars which include the more recent H6 (Found in the 2003–2009 Legacy 3.0R, Outback 3.0R and 2006–2007 Tribeca. according to Wiki) be a nearly complete donor? I believe many of these donors would have an auto so you may need to source a transmission and work around the wiring issues, but any comments on whether everything else should work?

Thanks!
    None of those are complete donors, the vast majority of the H6's are automatics. The 2005 Legacy GT I pulled apart I was unable to use the lower control arms, rear knuckles, rear trailing arm, lateral links, and dash. The 2004 Outback that the H6 came out of had the same parts not usable plus the automatic trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Wayne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you VERY much for doing a test fit and letting us in on the results, Wayne!

Do you think the 1/4" or so clearance is going to be enough? I'm sure the frame and/or firewall could be modified to increase clearance in that area if need be.

I hope the H-6 uses a timing chain, as you'd almost certainly have to pull the motor to do a timing belt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    Thank you VERY much for doing a test fit and letting us in on the results, Wayne!

Do you think the 1/4" or so clearance is going to be enough? I'm sure the frame and/or firewall could be modified to increase clearance in that area if need be.

I hope the H-6 uses a timing chain, as you'd almost certainly have to pull the motor to do a timing belt.
    Yes it does use a chain.

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay tuned for next week when Wayne shows everyone how to install the engine from the Lemans winning Gulf Porsche 917-30 into an 818 by simply bending two small parts!
    Wayne: Did I tell you that you impress the hell out of me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    I think someone will cram an EG33 (3.3 liter) into one of these. They are relatively cheap (not on the Subie enthusiasts radar yet) and can give enough HP with just NA.
    From previous discussions, it appears the EG33 is at least 2-3" longer than the EZ30R Wayne installed - with the EZ30 having only 0.300" clearance, the EG33 will likely require major work to make it fit. The EZ30R also comes from the factory with about 30HP more on tap to start.
    Last edited by Turboguy; 08-10-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    To add more fuel to the fire - an EZ30-H6 transplant into a 914:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLTLXkQirYM
    Last edited by Wayne Presley; 08-10-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Wayne Presley; 08-10-2013 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Made them links instead of embedding, had 4 videos auto playing at once

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    From previous discussions, it appears the EG33 is at least 2-3" longer than the EZ30R Wayne installed - with the EZ30 having only 0.300" clearance, the EG33 will likely require major work to make it fit. The EZ30R also comes from the factory with about 30HP more on tap to start.
    Yeah, I remember now. That will take a skilled fabricator to pull that one off! Thanks, WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeppers, the EZ30r came with about 250hp and the EZ30 came with about 212hp. The heads on the EZ30 aren't conductive to FI, so if you wanna turbo you need to go for the EZ30r or convert an EZ30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post

I ran the donor yesterday morning with the cat back off of it and it sounds so sweet.
    I understand the feeling, did the same to my SVX donor before swapping it into my legacy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW3ZDPyx_JY
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is soo cool..........right up my alley.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    oh my god. This is amazing.

I checked ebay quickly and it seems there are a few JDM EZ30's for sale. Is anyone aware of any reason why that couldn't be an option?

Post Thanks / Like
    The earlier, non "r", EZ30s came in car that could be a partial donor for the front suspension pieces. The 2000-2004 Legacy/Outback uses the same crossmember based front parts as the Impreza. The rear suspension is different and would need to be sourced from another appropriate car.

No H6 came to the North American market with a manual transmission from the factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiRideDrive View Post
    oh my god. This is amazing.

I checked ebay quickly and it seems there are a few JDM EZ30's for sale. Is anyone aware of any reason why that couldn't be an option?
    Engine management??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Engine management??
    For those already building with an aftermarket body harness, why not go for standalone engine management?

Wayne of Very Cool Parts (a forum sponsor and LONG time FFR builder) sells the TEC systems plus there are outside solutions like Motec or Link to name a few. It's no biggie.

Post Thanks / Like
    would this be a good deal / fit?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/3916320729.html

its local to me

Post Thanks / Like
    How much ground clearance under the stock oil pan?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast