Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: H6-EZ30 engine in the 818----IT FITS

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Engine management??
    I can set you up with an Electromotive TEC-GT, MS3Pro or any other ECU that you want (AEM, FAST, Haltech, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Turboguy View Post
    For those already building with an aftermarket body harness, why not go for standalone engine management?

Wayne of Very Cool Parts (a forum sponsor and LONG time FFR builder) sells the TEC systems plus there are outside solutions like Motec or Link to name a few. It's no biggie.
    Quote Originally Posted by D K View Post
    How much ground clearance under the stock oil pan?
    The stock oil pan is approximately the same height as the 2.5L

Quote Originally Posted by nikbrewer View Post
    would this be a good deal / fit?

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/pts/3916320729.html

its local to me
    No
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    this tells me that with a little modification to the fuel cell, one CAN fit the EG33.....

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhydroxide View Post
    this tells me that with a little modification to the fuel cell, one CAN fit the EG33.....

Uh, no. the frame was .300" from the motor and the fuel tank is 2" in front of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody with some serious fab and welding skills could do it. Likely Wayne will post up the complete transplant a week after somebody sends him a free engine. <--- HINT

After that will be the Ford Ecoboost V6. The Miata guys are looking into that, about 28" from front to back. 400hp.

Just pouring fuel on the fire. : )

Oh, wait, it goes in sideways, hmm. Make that 12.5" from centerline of the crank to the outside of the valve cover. Should be room for the turbo. I guess we need to know what the CV shaft centerline to the "front" of the motor is. That tells all.
    Last edited by tirod; 08-13-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what would be the most effective way to modify the frame? Perhaps cutting out the X bracing and replacing it with plate steel? Or moving the motor mounts back an inch? Any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    So what would be the most effective way to modify the frame? Perhaps cutting out the X bracing and replacing it with plate steel? Or moving the motor mounts back an inch? Any ideas?
    I'm just speculating -- and I'm no automotive engineer. By my guess would that it would be more desirable to move the motor mounts back an inch or so. No compromise to the frame strength, and it seems to me that the operational geometry ( I like to use fancy words when I don't know what I'm talking about) would tolerate the slight change in angle of the half-shafts..... But I know nothing.............

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    The EG 33 is a no go in my opinion. The EZ30 will fit with just a minor tweak.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I'm just speculating -- and I'm no automotive engineer. By my guess would that it would be more desirable to move the motor mounts back an inch or so. No compromise to the frame strength, and it seems to me that the operational geometry ( I like to use fancy words when I don't know what I'm talking about) would tolerate the slight change in angle of the half-shafts..... But I know nothing.............
    The half shafts already are rearward of centerline of the outer CV, you shouldn't move them much farther rearward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Uh, no. the frame was .300" from the motor and the fuel tank is 2" in front of that.

YES, but one can modify... sorry if I didn't mention modifying the frame.

And the EG33 isnt' THAT much bigger than the EZ30D I'm not sure which thread I posted it in, but i have comparison pictures of crank lengths of the EG33, ez30D and EJ20(5)

Post Thanks / Like
    NOT trying to stir anything up; just trying to understand... Given the relative ease with with which the EZ series motors will fit, what is the appeal of an EG? A stock EZ36 produces more HP than a stock EG33.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    NOT trying to stir anything up; just trying to understand... Given the relative ease with with which the EZ series motors will fit, what is the appeal of an EG? A stock EZ36 produces more HP than a stock EG33.
    I was searching for info on that engine and a couple of sites mentioned that is was quite a bit cheaper than the EZ series. One account stated that a front half of whatever model the engine came in was sold for 2K. Don't know how true that is. Just saw it while I was checking out the different hits.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally i like the EG33 MUCH better than i do the EZ30. It's easier, cheaper, stronger, better.
    Theres a company here local called "metric Motors Extreme" who builds Subaru engines specifically for "off road use" or for Sandrails. they make and sell an EG33 with a midsize turbo. advertized 600BHP on a built bottom end. BUT the real kicker is, they get 400hp advertized on "low mileage blocks" (unbuilt, unrebuilt, stock engines) Check the bottom of this page http://metricmotorsxtreme.com/engines.html#33600

The where the EG33 and the EZ30 differ:

Rod/crank bearing thicknesses. The EG33 is roughly 130% of the EZ30.

Valve Timing drivetrain. The EG33 is a belt that drives the exhast cams, the intake cams are driven from helical gears off the exhaust cam. EZ30 is Full Cam chain (2 of them iirc).

price. An EG33 can be had for around $600 if one takes the time to look. and for $2000 if you want an entire car with it. EZ30 is roughly $1500 for engine alone (depending on source)

Swapability. EG33 ecu can be isolated quite simply from the rest of the harness in comparison to the EZ30, ez30 has MANY more security issues, especially the VDC versions (vehicle Dynamic Control)

Heads. Ez30 is a single port exhaust for ALL 3 cylinders (6 valves), EG33 is a triple port design, 2 valves (one cylinder) per port.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Only the early EZ30's have the single exhaust port, the later ones have 3 ports and AVCS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Only the early EZ30's have the single exhaust port, the later ones have 3 ports and AVCS.
    Correct. The EZ30D has single port and no AVSC/AVLS and the EZ30R has 3 ports + AVSC/AVLS.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    From previous discussions, it appears the EG33 is at least 2-3" longer than the EZ30R Wayne installed - with the EZ30 having only 0.300" clearance, the EG33 will likely require major work to make it fit. The EZ30R also comes from the factory with about 30HP more on tap to start.
    From my experiance the EG33 is more powerfull off the shelf then the EZ30R but I could be wrong. Also if you are thinking of sticking a turbo on the EG33 is far stronger.
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally i like the EG33 MUCH better than i do the EZ30. It's easier, cheaper, stronger, better.
    Theres a company here local called "metric Motors Extreme" who builds Subaru engines specifically for "off road use" or for Sandrails. they make and sell an EG33 with a midsize turbo. advertized 600BHP on a built bottom end. BUT the real kicker is, they get 400hp advertized on "low mileage blocks" (unbuilt, unrebuilt, stock engines) Check the bottom of this page http://metricmotorsxtreme.com/engines.html#33600
    Do they offer street versions with less power and no race fuel?
    Like 350-400whp range or something.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertrunner View Post
    From my experiance the EG33 is more powerfull off the shelf then the EZ30R but I could be wrong. Also if you are thinking of sticking a turbo on the EG33 is far stronger.
    Tony
    Unfortunately, you are not correct. The EZ30 has more HP and torque out of the box than the EG33. Perrin turbocharged and built an EZ30R up to 600HP a few years back with stock bearings & crank, so your point about the EG33 being "stronger" would also seem to be incorrect, or at least "not applicable" for the 99.5% of people who are fine with less than 600HP

And the EG33 isnt' THAT much bigger than the EZ30D
    I recall a difference of almost 3" -- and when you only have 0.300" to work with -and a frame and gas tank in the way- 3" is like having to go to the moon and back just to get milk.

An EG33 can be had for around $600 if one takes the time to look...............EZ30 is roughly $1500 for engine alone

Theres a company here local called "metric Motors Extreme" who builds Subaru engines specifically for "off road use" or for Sandrails. they make and sell an EG33 with a midsize turbo. advertized 600BHP on a built bottom end.
    Why don't you go price those motors out, and then come back and tell us how "affordable" the EG33 is?

Seriously, it's a little ridiculous talking about how cheap the EG33 solution is -quoting $600 for a worn out 20 year old used engine- and then throwing a 600HP spec out there from a fully built $17,300 RACE MOTOR.

By the time you price in a full rebuild that your 20 year old EG33 will require, it will ALSO be more expensive than a $1,500 low-mileage pull EZ30R. And that is BEFORE factoring in the costs to re-engineer and modify the 818 chassis and fuel cell to accept an EG33.

Personally, I think there's enough info out there that it's time to let the EG33 discussion just die. It just doesn't seem to make sense on any level to me.

The crowd looking at a flat-6 powered 818 should be thankful for the EZ30 solution, and buy Wayne a (or 2 or 3) for helping those of us who are considering a flat-6 IMMENSELY by doing this trial fit. Again a HUGE thank-you Wayne for taking the time to do this, and let us all in on the results.
    Last edited by Turboguy; 08-14-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    About the EZ36D, I read on Wikipedia that "The offset connecting rod was designed to allow additional displacement from the same exterior dimensions." Does that mean the exterior dimensions of the EZ36D are the same as the EZ30? Or same as EG33? (which are a bit bigger than EZ30, right?)
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the EZ30 and EZ36 have the same external dimensions - this is because of the offset connecting rod technology they employ, allowing 20% more displacement out of the same block casting. For a totally stock installation that will not see insane RPM levels, the EZ36 might be a great 818 solution for some. However, I don't know that I would try to run the offset connecting rod technology to 8,000RPM.

Frank- the EG33 is not just "a bit bigger" than the EZ30R it is a "lot" bigger. The EZ30R is essentially a flat-6 engine that fits in the same space as Subaru's EJ-series 4 cylinder turbo motors (which power the STi and WRX).

Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post
    After that will be the Ford Ecoboost V6. The Miata guys are looking into that, about 28" from front to back. 400hp.

Just pouring fuel on the fire. : )

The big selling point for most people looking seriously at using the Subaru flat-6 motors being discussed here is to get that exotic "Porsche" flat-6 sound.

Putting in a garden variety 'merican motor certainly isn't going to cut it for them. Builders just looking for lots of HP and TQ would be far better off sticking with Subaru's EJ25 series turbo motors - they will eat ford's ecocrap for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They're also cheap, easily modified, and have HUGE aftermarket support.
    Last edited by Turboguy; 08-14-2013 at 08:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the EZ30 and EZ36 have the same external dimensions - this is because of the offset connecting rod technology they employ, allowing 20% more displacement out of the same block casting. For a totally stock installation that will not see insane RPM levels, the EZ36 might be a great 818 solution for some. However, I don't know that I would try to run the offset connecting rod technology to 8,000RPM.
    So one could think there are great chances the EZ36 physically fits the engine bay. Now I don't know the engine enough to tell if the other parts (axles, diff, tranny, hoses, etc.) will fit without too many tweaks or not...

Not sure I'd go with an EZ36, but I like the idea to know the options so I can be happy and proud to make the best choice for my needs. I have to take into account the sound, as this is really important to me. Building a 30-35k kit and having an excellent sound that I'd be happy about but would know I could have had better is one thing. Building a 35-40k kit with a super awesome sound throughout the rpm band and at idle that I'd be crazy about all the time knowing it's amongst the best I can get, that is another thing.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    If the EZ30R fits, I cannot imagine the EZ36D NOT fitting. Any issues would most likely surround ancillaries mounted on the engine. Tranny, and therefore diff & axle issues too, would be the same as faced with the EZ30R - bolt up to a Subaru EJ-series WRX or STi tranny (although the STi tranny is an unconfirmed fit in the 818 application as of now) and you are good to go!

If you would have fun at $30-35K Frank, then you'll be through the roof when I say that you could build an 818 with THIS flat-6 engine and aftermarket engine management for under $25K. Wrap-it instead of painting it and you could even be less than that!
    Last edited by Turboguy; 08-14-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying the EZ36D is usually cheaper than the EZ30R?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Putting in a garden variety 'merican motor certainly isn't going to cut it for them. Builders just looking for lots of HP and TQ would be far better off sticking with Subaru's EJ25 series turbo motors - they will eat ford's ecocrap for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. They're also cheap, easily modified, and have HUGE aftermarket support.
    Hmm. 400hp stock vs 300. Both are aluminum block OHC with turbos - yep, garden variety these days. Fords got their F150's with them and still going strong, the 2015 CAFE standards will push production even more.

The future of finding Ecoboost in over 60% of new Ford truck in the wrecking yard means that cheap will be possible. Easy mods are up to the aftermarket in either case, JDI, etc aren't here on this turf with much advertising. The West Coast hipo makers aren't going to die off with the baby boomers, they need something like this to move forward. Subaru isn't where they have much presence.

If GM would drop two cylinders off the LS same as they did with the 4.3, which needs replacing, then we have another. And Dodge can do the same with the Hemi, drop two cylinders, keep the name. Put them in two door sedans and the streets are going to be a bit cluttered with turbo V6 aluminum block overhead cam hot rods with 400hp. I like my Forester, but really - it's a ecobrand for nerds (I are one.)

Let's not forget - F5 built a separate chassis for the Subaru, but any of these turbosixes will drop into a Roadster, Coupe, or Spyder. 400hp is 400hp, you get a stock reliable motor, not an overworked 5.0 stroker.

An 818 with a 400hp stock Ecoboost would run about 5 pounds per hp. The Subie is 6#/hp. Who needs the aftermarket when you have a clear advantage?

Maybe I'm saving up for the wrong kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, this is exactly the kind of crud I DIDN'T want to stir up. Everyone's goals, desires, and preferences are different. FFR will most likely do with the 818 what they have done on other kits: Offer the customer options, specifically engine options. That way each can get what THEY want.

In summary, to each his own. Now can we please stop the "which engine is better" debate? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    To me what matters is "which engines will fit without mods" and "which engines will fit with minor tweaks/different parts". Once I'll know these 2 lists, I'll dig around trying to understand which one is better for which type of application (high rev, strength, low end torque, etc.) and I'll make my choice. But that only depends on me, like you're saying.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechanically stock EZ36
    Affordable aftermarket ECU - tuned to about 270-300 HP (91-93 octane, up from OEM 87) with a OEMish (aka. "flat as Kansas") torque curve (or flashed Euro manual tranny ECU)
    Newer 5 speed w/3.9 ring and pinion (swap a FWD 3.7 R&P if you want to open the box)

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'll let you know how it runs after I get the GRM guys finished. Might post a video...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah definitely interesting to know how it runs.
    And how it sounds, for the most of it.

Just make sure you don't need to remove the cam bolts, hey? lolll :P
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    EZ30 Turbo? I dont think you can beat that sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkKucEGay3c

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!!!! And there are more on the tube of that same car.

Here's the project: http://www.pulseracing.com.au/TwinTurboH6Liberty.htm

They are in Australia though... I wonder if SilverTop (he's the one in NZ right?) will take a look at this.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post

They are in Australia though... I wonder if SilverTop (he's the one in NZ right?) will take a look at this.
    No, I'm in Minnesota. You're thinking of Flamshackle. He's in NZ.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    No, I'm in Minnesota. You're thinking of Flamshackle. He's in NZ.
    Yeah you 2 have an almost identical avatar.
    Sorry for mixing MN and NZ! lolll
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys, this is exactly the kind of crud I DIDN'T want to stir up. Everyone's goals, desires, and preferences are different. FFR will most likely do with the 818 what they have done on other kits: Offer the customer options, specifically engine options. That way each can get what THEY want.

In summary, to each his own. Now can we please stop the "which engine is better" debate? Thanks!
    Yes, I have no doubt F5 has some stuff on the bulletin board about other potential engines. It's part and parcel of the kit industry to respond to customer demands. Like, using the Chevy LS motor. Plenty of posts on that. Not on topic.

But, really, asking for guys to not debate the various merits of engine design? Buahahaha. It's tied into our endicrinological conditioning, so to speak. We already have that here, if a 4 is good, a 6 is better, and a big 6, even better yet.

Anybody know of a cheap W8 we could use? No?

An important point tho - what transmission are we talking about? Playing motor roulette is fun, but we don't have fun with CV's flailing around and 80-90 dripping from a large chunk of what's left on the mounts. Do these motors all use the same transmission? I'm new at owning a Subaru, what transmissions fit what motors fit what horsepower levels?

I've blown up more than my share of little three speeds in the day. I'm not wanting to go thru that learning curve again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah you 2 have an almost identical avatar.
    Sorry for mixing MN and NZ! lolll
    No Worries, Mate! (just to confuse the issue).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tirod View Post
    Do these motors all use the same transmission? I'm new at owning a Subaru, what transmissions fit what motors fit what horsepower levels?
    The reason we are talking specifically about the Subaru EZ30, EZ36, and EG33 H6s are because each one bolts up to an EJ2X transmission and uses the same or similarly placed motor mounts as the EJ2X. So when your start throwing out ideas like W8s, LSX, V6ecoboost, its easy to ignore, because they are not even in remotely the same category of difficulty we are talking about with the Subaru H6s.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like

I will be sticking with the JDM 2.0 when the time comes.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamshackle View Post
    I will be sticking with the JDM 2.0 when the time comes.
    That's pretty good too, what are your reasons?
    Curious to see what would drive someone to prefer the 2.0 over the 3.0. $$ probably, but what else.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Because it is going to be significantly cheaper and easier to make more power with the 2.0 and I can't bad mouth the the 8000 rpm redline of the jdm 2.0 either, should be a very fun motor for the 818.

I think the h6s are great... until you want to modify them...
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, the main reason to choose an H6 is the sound and lack of turbo componentry and associated hassles. If power is your goal, the turbo H4's are are definitely better suited to that task.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the smooth, linear throttle response and flat torque curve!
    Last edited by Xusia; 08-17-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty good too, what are your reasons?
    Curious to see what would drive someone to prefer the 2.0 over the 3.0. $$ probably, but what else.
    Higher revving suits a lighter car, more than ample power potential, JDM 2.0 is std issue in New Zealand.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, the main reason to choose an H6 is the sound and lack of turbo componentry and associated hassles. If power is your goal, the turbo H4's are are definitely better suited to that task.
    Agreed. Oh and for INSANE HP builds.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast