FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koni Nylon Washers

Post Thanks / Like

Koni Nylon Washers

I got my backorder Koni shocks so I decided to install them. What's the deal with those nylon washers between the shock body and the rubber bump stop? Do they just bounce around on the shock stem or can I slip them off and trash them?

Post Thanks / Like
    You won't notice any "bouncing around" once the shock is installed. I have run shocks both with and without those washers and I realy don't think there is much difference beyond a possible wear issue with the bottom of the shock tube, but I would leave them in if I were you.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick...I believe the washers are to keep the shock from compressing too far (after a hard bump or landing) and damaging the piston seals. I made and installed "double" thick washers on my autox car outfitted with Koni SA's. Just a thought...
    BTW...Did you find out what cam you have?

Karl
    GTM #362

Post Thanks / Like
    There are rubber bump stops that look like they'll do the job of piston seal damage. These washers are just split nylon. I guess I'm just going to leave them on. As Crash said, I'll never know they're there.

As for the cam, nope. I never figured out what it was. I bought another cam that I'm sure is an LS6 cam. I just didn't want to put the first one in and hope for the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Williams View Post
    There are rubber bump stops that look like they'll do the job of piston seal damage. These washers are just split nylon. I guess I'm just going to leave them on. As Crash said, I'll never know they're there.
    The rubber bump stops are compressible, the nylon is not. This is not for your every day compression events, but those times when a big bump overpowers the rubber or poly bump stop and wants to bottom out the shock body. The nylon is there to prevent that. Seems unlikely, but think of it as insurance. (I've asked this question about other Koni shocks, gotten these same answers).