Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A new development in high HP transaxles

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A new development in high HP transaxles

Hey there everyone,

So I have been working on a new high HP transaxle kit that uses the Audi R8 / Lamborghini Gallardo gearbox. It is a brand new gearbox direct from the factory. These are remarkably strong, but as the LS engine does not rev to the 9000 RPM that the Audi and Lambo do, a gearing change was in order.

So with that in mind, I am having some drop gearing made up to change the final drive enough to make this about as close to the Ford GT ratios as we can get it.

I just wanted to share some of the new developments that we are working on here with everyone. Feel free to email or call me with any questions that you might have. Right now we are shooting for a final drive ratio of 2.3 which should make this gearbox VERY nice for the LSx-V8.

Happy building everyone, and please let me know if you are in need of anything.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik,

What sort of pricing can you offer for these boxes? Are you referring to the Oerlikon/Graziano transaxles? Pretty stout boxes; and fairly expensive as I recall.

Mike
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting stuff Erik. What is the ETA and pricing?

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a post on the GT40 forum, It looks like RCR is offering these with their kits for, I think it was around $10k. sounded like a pretty good deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure the 10k was only for new customers who also purchase am RCR package.

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this as well on the RCR forums. I wondered if it would make its way here. What kind of pricing are we looking at and what components would have to be sourced (flywheel, clutch, starter, etc.) to make it work. Part of the enticement for me to go with Mendeola is keeping the accessories' pricing low/easily obtainable. Those pieces add up in the end...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, RCR has been offering this transaxle for months. Overall, the pricing compares well with the Porsche/Mendeola options when you consider power handling, LSD, etc.

I'm interested in the updated gearing Erik is mentioning and seeing it comes to fruition.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about the delay in getting back to everyone. We are still in the process of getting the final ratio worked out with our gear cutter, but it looks like this is going to move full speed ahead, as I already have a couple of them sold.

I will work up a price sheet on this gearbox option for everyone here shortly. I just wanted to get the news out about the development of this option to judge interest at this point. RCR has been offering these for a bit now, and I am sure that they will become a quite popular option.

I will try to get back with everyone with more accurate pricing data here shortly.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric
    Does the stock gearing make this trans unusable with an LS motor? Is it to low a final drive ratio?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there Scott,

I would not say that the stock configuration would not work, but with the new drop gearing I think that it will be even better suited to the LS. The new ratio will be about 2.3 which will really make the best use of the gearing internal for the lower RPM redline of the LS engine vs the higher revs that the Audi puts out.

I will try to work up some charts so that everyone can see the difference here sometime today.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Some gear charts

Lamb with stock final drive.txtLamb with 2.3 final.txtHere are some charts showing the difference that the new drop gear makes for this gearbox.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    any news on pricing for this? with/without gearing change?

Saving Up...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey there everyone,

Yes I have pricing available now for this gearbox kit. With everything that you are going to need from the engine back you are looking at approximately $21,500.00 with the gearing change and about 3K less for the stock gearing.

This would be using all Brand new parts directly from Audi, and a special custom made gear set made for The Race Line.

Please get in touch with any questions you might have.

Erik Johnson
    The Race Line
    (970) 344-7761 phone