BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Why are 95% of all builders...

Post Thanks / Like

Why are 95% of all builders...

great people?

I have told this to basically everyone I have met, but I just need to tell everyone here how refreshing it is to meet and know you guys.

In my past hobbies, I met some below par bottom feeders. Generally only 5% of the people were cool and people you would actually want to hang out with or bring around your family. That's where Factory Five differs! I want to say 95% of the people we have met here are AWESOME great people. Not only has purchasing, building and driving been an amazing experience, but the people involved is what makes this hobby a real community. We love it and I wanted newcomers to see this message as its almost as important as the quality of the cars.

When you buy Factory Five, your not only buying the best kit on the planet, but you are entering into a group of amazing enthusiasts that will create lifetime friendships from the owner (Dave Smith) to the guy on the forum that is still dreaming of ordering his car...
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Mike. This is a great bunch of people following their dream and enjoying the fellowship of each other no matter if you see them once a year or every week. I am glad that I chose to join this group.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I am constantly amazed by the diversity of people here and how they come from all spectrums of life. You have guys that can barely afford the dream and then you have some guys that have the money of god... but somehow these cars bring us together and put us all on a level playing field. That's magical. You don't get that type of treatment in the general car world. Its always about how much you spent and if your car was on a magazine. A lot of guys in the car world are stuck up, but not Factory five guys... well 95% anyway .

I recommend this Factory Five experience to everyone I meet. I try to sell that along with the great kits they provide.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think it's the fact that you have to build the car, and get dirty. It doesn't matter what your economic status is; you have to enjoy tinkering, working stuff out and be willing to put in sweat equity with no promise of financial return. We all buy for the experience of saying "I built it!".

Now of course some guys buy turn-key, used or whatever but the premise is the same: Getting into a hobby that is a lot more than writing a check to fulfill a fantasy. You just have to be more grounded to get into an FFR. And we recognize that in each other the moment we meet, whether we are dreaming about building, building or finished and enjoying the fruits of our labor.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That was a close one. I thought this was going down the lines of the thread on the other forum referring to 95% of owners. This is much more refreshing, rather than the lines of that thread. In this case it is only the 5% you have to steer clear of, the odds are much more in your favor.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike,

I've often said that if it had not been for the forum(s) I would have never started this car. But the wealth of knowledge, comraderie and willingness to share is outstanding.
    Being someone who loves cars but by no means is a car mechanic I take great comfort in the fact that generally speaking people don't judge you for your questions.
    It is a great group of people!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike I agree. But since you hate me now it probably doesn't matter.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, that was a nice post to read for my first time registering on the forum!

Some day...

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I agree Factory Five People are great and helpful.... And Dave and his family are also the nicest, down to earth folks you will ever meet. Where else can you have a conversation about cars - and stuff in general - with The President of a Car Factory?
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
    Mike I agree. But since you hate me now it probably doesn't matter.
    Well your a spoiled brat with you fancy garage and toys over there...
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeksFFR View Post
    Well, that was a nice post to read for my first time registering on the forum!

Some day...
    Start going to some shows and events to find some FF owners and you will see. I can just about guarantee you will be welcome with open arms.

Welcome to the forum!!!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    Well your a spoiled brat with you fancy garage and toys over there...
    I knew you'd like that one. You are still correct in the original post. Lots of great folks involved in this group.
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, you figured me out, I'm one of the 5%, but I'm working on improving.

(A shameless atempt at increasing my post count)
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Start going to some shows and events to find some FF owners and you will see. I can just about guarantee you will be welcome with open arms.

Welcome to the forum!!!
    As a newbie, I have done just that and can enthusiastically attest to the truth of that statement. I have visited FFR & taken a tour given by Dave, as well as speaking to FFR builders/owners at a few events this summer. Haven't been met with anything except friendliness and a complete willingness to answer questions. Someday, I hope I'll be one of those people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSomeday View Post
    As a newbie, I have done just that and can enthusiastically attest to the truth of that statement. I have visited FFR & taken a tour given by Dave, as well as speaking to FFR builders/owners at a few events this summer. Haven't been met with anything except friendliness and a complete willingness to answer questions. Someday, I hope I'll be one of those people.
    8 years ago (has it been that long!) I had the same experience at my first Knotts show. Sitting here now, I still can't remember any builder that I didn't get along with.

Thinking...

Thinking...

...Nope. I got nuthin'.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like

Been lurking.

Welcome to the forum!!!
    Thanks.
    I admit that I have been lurking for years. And I have visited the Wareham factory on a whim, and was treated to the most welcoming informal tour of the factory that you could imagine....5 or 6 years ago. Dave will probably find me among those tire-kickers that requested a free build manual and CD and never pulled the trigger. I think the Mk3 was just an idea then.

And I attended a car show in Wellesley, MA where I met "Muffin Man" and asked about his build experience. Nice guy.

I've been buying tools and practicing how to flare brake lines on old Jeeps. I've gone so far as to tell my kids, " Some day we are going to build one of those." As my son approaches 16, and looking back on a divorce and missed opportunities to be together, I am looking forward to the bonding experience.

Here I stand today wondering how I might clear out space in the garage. Thus the screen name "SeeksFFR"

PS: I might do the coupe' ! Would be nice to have a roof and AC/heat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    8 years ago (has it been that long!) I had the same experience at my first Knotts show. Sitting here now, I still can't remember any builder that I didn't get along with.

Thinking...

Thinking...

...Nope. I got nuthin'.

David-

That's only because you and I haven't met yet. Once that happens, you will have one that you don't like. That would drag your 100% down at least a little bit, and get closer to the Mike's original 95% observation. Not to worry!! ;-o)

I happen to agree with Mike's premise however. This is a wonderful community that I have learned a great deal of information from, and have helped me refine my build plan. All this, and I don't even have my kit yet. It is really remarkable!

Regards,

Steve

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I fully agree, I have been making parts for ffr's for over 12 years and can tell you I have never met a better group of folks. I love getting around and meeting them too. I have had more fun with the whole cobra family then with any other group, great people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    David-

That's only because you and I haven't met yet. Once that happens, you will have one that you don't like. That would drag your 100% down at least a little bit, and get closer to the Mike's original 95% observation. Not to worry!! ;-o)

I happen to agree with Mike's premise however. This is a wonderful community that I have learned a great deal of information from, and have helped me refine my build plan. All this, and I don't even have my kit yet. It is really remarkable!

Regards,

Steve
    Come on Steve, you can't fool me! You're from Chapel Hill!

BTW UNC Chapel Hill is one of the prettiest campuses I've ever seen. The fireflies in the summer, the cave bar, awesome. My Dad went there.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well........... thank you, thank you very much!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.