Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: First local show today

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First local show today

I used to really enjoy attending shows with the local guys when I had my roadster. After selling it, I did not enjoy going without a car. Today, I trailered my coupe to a nearby show and joined a good friend, Don Cooke, with his Superformance and had a blast. I was in the underconstruction catagory. Placed 2nd to an almost complete 69 Charger.

Had a few issues getting onto the trailer. Ended up taking the sidepipes off and used some wood blocks to elevate the front wheels to clear the footbox, but it worked. Anyone considering using a UHaul auto transport, you will have issues at a 4.5" ride height.
    It was really a boost getting back into the game, and has spurred me more to get this thing finished.

Rob

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    cool...........people must have marveled at it.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get used to lots of attention. Sort of like the roadster, but fewer people know what they arte. I'm always amazed at how many people they attract. I go to a few each year, my last had two vipers and one of their owners bought his as a recent design with coupe background, so I spent a lot of time answering questions with him.

regards, Mike
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Post Thanks / Like
    nice display!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Snakebit31

Looking good, how long to completion? Trailer trick. I had the same problem with my 16' landscape trailer, matter of fact actually ripped off the right side pipes, lucky they weren't fastened at the front but bent the bracket to a fare-the-well. This happened a couple years ago when trailering to FFR's open house. Anways, try to park the tow vehicle on a slight upgrade if possible. Raise the front of the trailer as high as possible with the trailer jack while attached to the towing vehicle. This also raises the back of the towing vehicle so a stout jack is in order here. This way the ramp angle is not so severe. With a U-Haul the ramps are probably pretty long which helps. A winch helps here also, as when of driving onto the trailer you almost can't see over the hood and if anything is going to hit you'll be able to spot it before damage occurrs. I also had to screw a couple short lengths of 2" x 10" planks (a 4' and a 3' one on top) on each side of the deck raising the deck about 3" where the rear wheel sits to allow the door to open over the side rails of the trailer. If you have a trailer without side rails this is not necessary. At your stage without doors you don't need this extra. Hopefully in a month or two this will all be unnessary as I hope to be driving it to shows instead of trailering it.
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras