Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric's 33 Build #583

Post Thanks / Like

Eric's 33 Build #583

Last Tuesday, I left my summer house in Western NY State for the 6-hour drive to Wareham. Stayed overnight and arrived at FF Headquarters bright and early at 9:00AM. After a tour of the factory with Jason, we set to work loading the kit onto my little 12' open trailer. Everything was well packed and ready, so we hit the road at about 11 for the 1,250 mile drive home. Drove all day and all night and pulled into my driveway in Gainesville, Florida at about 7AM Thursday morning. By noon the trailer was in the shop and all the boxes were unloaded onto the floor.

Over the next few days, my buddies came over to help unload the car and remove the body, I removed the engine, transmission and rear end from my donor car, did a detailed inventory and condensed everything down to about 15 boxes. I also sent lots of stuff to the powdercoater's, cut the quad shock mounts off of the axle and organized my shop to begin the build in earnest.

A little about me: I am a middle aged, semi-retired guy with deep roots in the car business. My dad was with Mercedes for years, and owned a large dealership in Pompano Beach, Florida, where I cut my teeth in the auto biz right after college. He sold that store in 1988, which put my two brothers and I out of work. So, in 1990, we purchased a defunct Mercedes - Buick - Jeep/Eagle dealership in Gainesville. Ten years later we added Nissan, Olds and Volvo in Tallahassee. Along the way, we raced Mustangs and then Porsches in the IMSA professional road racing series. I was crew chief and built the cars, my two brothers and dad drove. In 2005, I decided to retire from the automobile business and sold the Gainesville store. Six months later, my brothers bought me out of the Tallahassee dealership. Since then, I have returned to metal sculpture, which is something that I have done since high school - however, now it is pretty much a full-time thing. I work mostly with copper and specialize in marine gamefish, turtles, lighthouses, etc. If you're interested, my website is www.copperlife.net and my facebook page is www.facebook.com/copperlife. My family has also always been into boating, so, after selling the stores, my wife and I were looking to purchase a Great Harbour cruising trawler from local boatbuilder Mirage Manufacturing. Our plan was to spend a lot more time down island in the Bahamas, but Ken Fickett, the owner of the company, convinced me it might be fun for me to join him and be his sales manager. So eight years later, I have sold lots of trawlers and have tens of thousands of miles aboard them at sea. I also have my 100-ton US Coast Guard license and a Class A Bahamian Captain's License and spend about 2-3 months every year captaining cruising charters in the Bahamas.

I have a great shop behind my house and have always had restoration/build projects going. In the '90s, I spent a lot of time restoring vintage motocross bikes (still another hobby - I have a full-on motocross track here on the property.) But over the past ten winters I have worked on mostly car and boat projects - first a Donzi 18, then a '55 Chris Craft mahogany runabout, and most lately, a '67 Buick Wildcat convertible. But now it's time for a new project.

I guess that leads us back to the Factory Five 33. So, here are the specifics of this build: My donor car is the last survivor of our old Mustang IMSA Firehawk series race cars. This particular car was a theft recovery built from the ground up as a "showroom stock" race car - which, translated, means we cheated our A55ES off on the build! After we retired it, we used it only sporadically for track days (we had mounted two race seats and harness sets in it - the kids LOVED riding in it on the race track.) One of my brothers also raced it a few times in the NASA CMC Mustang Series, but since about 2008, it has been parked in a field behind the family Nissan dealership. Anyway, the '89 5.0 EFI is pretty much stock - other than some more cheating: flow honed intake, exhaust porting, a whole bunch of head work, lightened and matched pistons and rods, Ford "Skunkworks" computer, etc. Still basically stock, I would guess it puts out maybe 30 or so more horsepower than stock. It needs a LOT of cleaning up as, while it languished in the field, a family of rats used the space under the plenum as a home - and ate pretty much every wire off the EFI harness! The transmission is an excellent Tremec 3550 with Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. We kept breaking the tailshaft housings on those damned T5s (even the so-called "world class" T5), so we gave up and went to the Tremec - never got caught, either. The rear is a Ford 8.8 with Auburn locker and 3.73 gears (still more cheating).

I ordered the 33 kit with hardtop, power windows, power steering, the EFI harness (of course), rear exit tail pipes, chrome tilt column, powdercoated frame, gas tank delete (already have my Boyd Tank), and racing harness delete (I HATE HATE HATE 5-point harnesses in street cars - going with a 3-point retractable setup.)

I have also ordered a hydraulic clutch setup from Mike Forte and power brakes and air conditioning from Whitby. I am going with 15" wheels and 50-series tires to help the ride quality and also to give it a little more of an old-school '70s look. I want my beautiful wife of 31 years to maybe actually LIKE riding in this thing. I have had plenty of "uncivilized" cars that she hated with a passion! No need to autocross or race this one - had my fill of that over the years. In fact, this build is going to be pretty pedestrian by the standards of this forum. Some of you guys do AMAZING custom work. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here; gonna do some of the mods and upgrades I have read about here on the forum, but pretty much going with a standard Factory Five looking build. Standard interior (with NO friggin roll bar) and simple, two-tone pearl white over pearl yellow paint job.

So that's where I stand right now. I have pretty much retired from selling boats (although I am still captaining charters in the spring and summer), but I still have lots of copper work to do. I do about a dozen outdoor art festivals a year here in Florida and my website generates lots of work. So, much as I want to, I can't work full-time on the 33. Even so, this promises to be a pretty quick build. There were not many pieces backordered from FF (whew!) and Tom Wallace is right up the road about 10 miles. If I get stuck, I'll just give him a call!

Looking forward to spending lots more hours out in my shop!

ERIC

Mustang at VIR 7-30-06 13.jpgP5150076.JPGP9080027.JPG
    Last edited by kraftee; 10-06-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you had a safe trip home. I know you are going to enjoy the build. I am always available for any help you need. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great donor to start with, and sounds like it's going to be a fun car for you. I'll be watching the build, I'm sure you'll be doing some nice things no matter how "pedestrian" you might think it's going to be.

I mean, you are a metal artist, aren't you? You have to put at least a little of that talent into this car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a great plan and you are ready to start the assembly process. Congratulations.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric-

Best of luck on the start of your build! I love your "donor," as I am sure it will be a reliable and retains a whole lot of "go fast" left inside of her!

I too think you need to use some of your metal working artistry in your car. There are lots of places where your talents could really shine.

Good luck with everything, and please keep us updated!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good wishes guys. Well, today the UPS guy arrived with presents: My wheels and tires - which I ordered from Summit less than 48 hours ago - showed up mounted and balanced. Amazing. Since I am using 15" wheels, I was a bit apprehensive about front caliper clearance, but as you can see by the photos below, no worries. I have at least 3/4" of clearance.

I am using the rear brake package off my donor race car. They are the Ford Motorsports rear disc conversion package for 80s fox Mustangs. 10.15" vented rotors and Mark VII calipers on Motorsports brackets. Trouble is, the rotors are drilled for the 4-lug axles and I cannot find any properly sized rotors for my new five-lug axles. So, since I have several new sets of these rotors in stock, I am just going to have a local machine shop drill them for the 5 on 4.5 pattern. I KNOW these brakes will fit into my 15" wheels!

My 8.8 is all blasted and painted and just waiting for new axles to be ready to slip in. Still waiting for FF to send me my rear upper links (when they get them back from the powdercoater's this week), but no word on when I might receive the front lower control arm linkage adjusters...

So, the plan is to pick up my first batch of powdercoated items tomorrow morning and get as far as I can on the suspension. Still have plenty of clean-up and painting to do on the engine and transmission.
    P9110039.JPGP9110040.JPGP9110041.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 15" wheels on mine with (as you point out) plenty of clearance for the brakes.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like those old school tires and wheels! They will look great on the car. I'll have my car at the Trenton car show this Saturday. Good to see you having so much fun on the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    What time is the show in Trenton? Maybe I'll stop by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
    What time is the show in Trenton? Maybe I'll stop by.
    It is from 9 to 3. It is on 47. If you are coming from Gville go W on Newberry Rd. to light in Trenton turn right and then right again on 47. About 1-2 miles down on the right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I really like those old school tires and wheels! They will look great on the car. I'll have my car at the Trenton car show this Saturday. Good to see you having so much fun on the build.
    Wallace18, does this mean you have your 33 registered and street legal now?

Steve
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting some momentum - but still waiting for a few pieces to arrive from FF, Whitby, and Forte...

P9150050.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! I like the motorcycles, too cool! I think your build is going faster than mine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom - well I am almost 10 days into the build and have suspension, brakes, and most of steering powdercoated and assembled. So, I guess that's the easy part!

Post Thanks / Like
    After talking to Tom Wallace this weekend about the trials and tribulations of registering his 33 here in North Florida, I was a bit nervous about proving ownership of my donor parts. You see, we bought about four or five Fox Mustangs to race in the Firehawk series over the ten years or so we did that. Plus, some of these were totaled and rebuilt with theft recovery unibodies. And we bought several more 5-liter EFI motors from wrecked cars, etc. I think we had about 7 or 8 of them in rotation over the years. So I had NO idea which block I was putting into the Hot Rod - it just happens to be the only one we have left. Obviously, since this particular body was a theft recovery, I have no title or anything for THAT. And the records of purchase are way long gone.

Well, I dug out the few remaining Mustang MSOs (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) that I still had in my old files, and lo and behold, I have one that matches the block! It seems this block is out of the very first Mustang 5.0 we bought for the race team! Pretty cool. And, most importantly, I can prove ownership! Whew!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think someone upstairs was looking out for you on that one. That will make things easier on you for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're like me, I think the spoke design on the FFR steering wheel is beautiful. BUT, I think the black plastic half rim with chrome (read: VERY HOT in summertime Florida) back looks cheesy as hell. Problem is, a decent looking replacement is hundreds of dollars probably better spent elsewhere. So, I bought the proper sized Wheelskin from AutoBarn.com and laced it on. Voila! Now I have a beautiful black leather cover on the wheel that looks factory. Bonus is it makes the wheel rim just a bit larger and more comfortable. Twenty minute install that anyone can do - and they come in lots of colors.

Hot Rod SW.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Build Update - Day 16. Finished the motor and tranny and got them installed. Here are some before and after pics of the motor.
    Motor Before.JPGMotor After.JPG
    Still waiting for my power brake kit from Whitby and the correct adapter plate for my juice clutch from Forte. But making really good progress...

P9210086.JPGP9210088.JPGP9210091.JPGP9210092.JPG

ERIC

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking Good! Now you can sit in it and make Vroom ,vroom noises. LOL. Keep up the good work. Did you solve you P/S clearance problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, already been making the engine noises - so enthusiastically that I had to wipe spit off of the firewall! After I talked to you on the phone, I realized that I had to use the included transmission mount spacers in order to lift the tailshaft high enough for the driveshaft to work. That added a little bit of p/s motor clearance (at least the engine wasn't resting on it anymore). Then I clearanced the mount holes just a bit. I now have about 3/8" of air between the oil pan and the p/s motor. Hopefully, that's enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working quite a bit on the build - between getting sculptures finished for the upcoming show season. Put the body on with a couple friends last weekend in order to check tire clearance and fit the firewall. I was able to lift off the body on Wednesday by myself with the chainfall in my shop. Finally got my juice clutch kit from Mike Forte and installed it. VERY nice. I think it - along with my Whitby power brake kit - should make for a very nice driving hot rod. I also mounted and plumbed the Boyd gas tank and finished the steering linkage. The portion between the power steering motor and the rack seems very tight. Anyone have any advice? Leave it this way? Remove it and extend the bolt reliefs in the little DD shaft to shorten things up? So, I attached the firewall with 10-32 button head ss screws. I used many fewer than some firewalls I have seen. Is there any real reason to use more? The firewall is on VERY solidly
    Installing the wiring harnesses begins tomorrow.

9-27-13 Firewall Installed.jpg9-27-13 Forte Juice Clutch.jpg9-27-13 Fuel Tank Installed.jpg

ERIC

Post Thanks / Like
    Firewall looks super clean. You will be fine as is IMO. Everything is looking nice and clean. You sure are doing a fine job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom!

Post Thanks / Like
    After talking to Tom Wallace this weekend about the trials and tribulations of registering his 33 here in North Florida, I was a bit nervous about proving ownership of my donor parts. You see, we bought about four or five Fox Mustangs to race in the Firehawk series over the ten years or so we did that. Plus, some of these were totaled and rebuilt with theft recovery unibodies. And we bought several more 5-liter EFI motors from wrecked cars, etc. I think we had about 7 or 8 of them in rotation over the years. So I had NO idea which block I was putting into the Hot Rod - it just happens to be the only one we have left. Obviously, since this particular body was a theft recovery, I have no title or anything for THAT. And the records of purchase are way long gone.

Well, I dug out the few remaining Mustang MSOs (Manufacturers Statement of Origin) that I still had in my old files, and lo and behold, I have one that matches the block! It seems this block is out of the very first Mustang 5.0 we bought for the race team! Pretty cool. And, most importantly, I can prove ownership! Whew!
    You don't need to do all of that in Florida. I just registered my 33 and all I needed was the MSO, proof of insurance, invoice from FF5 for sales tax, and title application form. Couldn't have been easier and took all of 30 minutes even with the State employee going back and forth to her supervisor to ask questions. No receipts and no inspection. This car is a Replica in the eyes of the State of Florida. A kit car is something like an Excalibur where an existing chassis from GM or whoever has a different body on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, had to slow down a bit on the build as I am stuck waiting for some parts. PLUS, I have a bunch of sculpture commissions that I have been working on. PLUS, getting my sculpture inventory built up for the upcoming art festival season. But, I still managed to find time to get a few things done...

10-2-13 Battery in Trunk.JPG10-2-13 Clutch Slave.JPG10-2-13 EFI 5.0.JPG10-2-13 Fuel Tank Plumbing.JPG10-2-13 Retractor Bracket.JPG10-2-13 Retractor.JPG

26. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good! Seatbelt setup should work great. Aircleaner looks good too. I heard through the grapevine you are spending lots of time on the car. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good! Love to do a hotrod someday

Post Thanks / Like
    ...also got the fuse block mounted, the brake lines plumbed (mostly - still waiting on the power brake booster), and the wiring harnesses laid out and temporarily zip-tied on.

Fuse Block 10-2-13.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The seatbelt setup looks great. What belt are you using?
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    The belts came from Wesco Performance. It's their Roadster kit with the chrome aircraft-style buckles and extra long (14") buckle end. About $80 per side with hardware. I used part of the included hardware along with some heavy steel I had laying around to weld up the retractor mounts. They actually wrap under the 1" bar and through bolt. Then the retractor simply bolts to the upper tab. Everything is in shear - some of it in double shear. I am no engineer, but if I hit something hard enough to fail these mounts? Well, let's just say that is going to be the least of my problems...

Here are a few more pics of the mounts.

Retractor Mount 2.JPGRetractor Mount 3.JPGRetractor Mount 4.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a chance to do some more work on the hot rod today. Got all the sheet metal fitted and drilled. Also fitted and installed the trans tunnel. Used 10-32 rivnuts and button head ss screws. Damn, I drilled a lot of holes today...10-5-13 Trans Tunnel 1.JPG10-5-13 Trans Tunnel 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
    Had a chance to do some more work on the hot rod today. Got all the sheet metal fitted and drilled. Also fitted and installed the trans tunnel. Used 10-32 rivnuts and button head ss screws. Damn, I drilled a lot of holes today...10-5-13 Trans Tunnel 1.JPG10-5-13 Trans Tunnel 2.JPG
    Looks good! I know what you mean about drilling holes. I bought a drill from Lowes and got the warranty. So far I have had them replace it 2x at no cost to me. Well worth the few extra bucks up front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some presents from the UPS guy yesterday evening - the power brake setup and air conditioning from Whitby, plus the Alternator bracket and E-Brake cables from Summit. So, got the e-brake cables mounted up - the Wilwood universal kit is SO much easier than using the FFR setup that we installed at build school. No futzing around with all those goofy clevises. Just push the cables through the block, tighten the set screws, and trim off the excess cable. The cable block bolts right up to the rod eye at the end of the handbrake assembly. Simple.

The Whitby power brake/master cylinder assembly is a work of art. It almost installed itself. I LOVE when pieces fit together with no coercion! I know a lot of guys don't like the look of a vacuum brake booster on their sacred firewalls, but I actually think the setup looks great. It also allows me to put my fuse block in the space normally reserved for the brake reservoirs. Lift off the aluminum cowl panel and, Voila!, I can get to my fuses and relays without having to climb under the dash. Think I will install that aluminum cowl panel with ceramic magnets. Just gotta finish plumbing the last of the brake lines, bleed 'em and I am done with the brakes. Should finish that today.

Also installed the clutch reservoir and bled the new Forte hydraulic clutch setup. Also a flawless kit. I simply used one of the FFR-supplied Wilwood master cylinders with Mike's external slave kit.

Finally, made a pattern for my "glovebox". I have not yet seen a console installed on one of these 33's that I like - and since I will definitely need SOMEWHERE to keep cell phones, wallets, umbrella, etc.- I am using the space that FFR thoughtfully leaves behind the seats. I SURE would not want my battery there after all! That's why mine is in the trunk. So, used structural foam to make a pattern for a 24" x 6 1/2" x 9" glove box that will slide right into that space. Heading to the boat factory in a few minutes to make a Formica mold so I can have the guys lay up my glovebox. I will definitely post pics when finished.

10-10-13 Alt & AC Brackets.JPG10-10-13 E-Brake Cables.JPG10-10-13 Power Brakes 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    That power brake assembly does look good!

Post Thanks / Like
    You are getting oh so close to making engine noises. Good job.

Post Thanks / Like
    The mufflers and exhaust pipes arrived from Factory Five yesterday; So, last night I installed them - along with the rear exit exhaust. One of the valuable things I learned at the Build School was to modify the hangers so that if you ever want to remove the exhaust, you can get to the nuts from below. Used the pics I took at Build School to figure out exactly how to bend the mounts. Everything went together without too much trouble. VERY happy with the look.

10-10-13 Exhaust 1.JPG10-10-13 Exhaust 2.JPG10-10-13 Exhaust Tips.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    The exhaust is so pretty it is a shame you can't see it when the car is done. Only on the lift. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Glove Box Prototype

Yep, the exhaust is beautiful - but I don't have a lift (like you.) So when I put the floors in, it's gone from sight!

Got the glovebox prototype molded today. It is gonna be a great piece. Big enough for a folded jacket, collapsible umbrella, cell phones, chargers, etc. Made some marks and ground away a bit on this prototype, so it's back to the boat factory Monday morning, hopefully to lay up the finished mold. Then I should have a nice gelcoated piece that slides right into the space. Haven't decided on what the final access is going to be. My gut feeling is I will just carpet it inside with black and leave the center section between the seats open. We'll see. In the meantime, here is what we are starting with:

10-11-13 Glovebox 1.JPG10-11-13 Glovebox 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Hot Rod Jewelry

Got my Boese Engineering billet gauge panel today. Unbelievable quality for the price. Mounted the gauges and indicator LEDs to see how they would look. Beautiful. Also had a handful of red gauge LEDs left over from the Livorsi instruments I put in my Donzi. Fit right into the Autometer bayonet mounts. Hopefully, this will cure the gauge "washout" at night that some have complained about.

Also finally opened up and took stock of the Whitby AC kit. The new Vintage Air Mini Gen II evaporator box is awesome. Compared to the other Vintage Air units I have seen in the other build threads, the blower motor is MUCH smaller - and best of all, the ac and heater hose connections are on the BOTTOM right of the unit. Should make plumbing it a breeze (pun intended.)

10-11-13 Gauge Panel.JPG10-11-13 Mini Gen II Evap 1.JPG10-11-13 Mini Gen II Evap 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric. It's nice to see another build using the power brake set up from Jeff Collins at Whitby. When I did mine back in May it was kind of a gamble. I agree it frees up some valuable real estate under the dash for electronics... I my case the ISIS modules.

Had you considered a proportioning valve set up of any kind. I couldn't get anyone to bounce the idea off of so I went with this adjustable set up. Your build is moving quite a bit faster than mine, hopefully we can share some information on this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hdnik; 10-17-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast