Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric's 33 Build #583

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nick. Yep, I bought the power brake kit after seeing it on your thread, I was going to add the proportioning valve as you did, but after talking with Jeff, he seemed to think it was unnecessary. We'll see. I can always add it later. If I EVER get my backordered EFI harness from FFR, I will be ready to go-kart very quickly. Obviously I will post my findings when that happens. ERIC
    "If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, had a few days this week to work on the 33. STILL waiting for the EFI harness, but FFR PROMISES to have one to me by midweek...we'll see. Also expecting the final pieces to my air conditioning kit so I can finish THAT part of the build. After that, GO-KART! I should also have the final rear glove box part that we have been working on. Very excited about having that space to use.

So, this week I basically tidied up a few things and, as parts have been trickling in, finished up a few others. Insulated the entire firewall with Eastwood Thermocoustic. I also insulated both sides of the Kootenai Footbox Panels and the Everson Inner Firewall. I Installed the gas pedal on the foot box panel and ran the cable. I had to rivet a section of square steel tubing under panel to support the gas pedal, but everything fit up beautifully and the pedals are all in the proper positions. If you look closely at the pic, you can see that I mounted the dimmer switch right at the bottom of that panel and ran the wiring behind it. Works great.

I sprayed the undersides of all my aluminum interior panels with rubberized undercoating and wrapped my mufflers with black heat wrap. Hopefully, the combination of everything I've done to insulate the car will keep the interior fairly comfortable - even here in Florida. Finally, I finished some wiring and installed the radiator/condensor/grill assembly. Does anyone else have a slight issue with fitment of the grille to the chassis with the condensor mounted (along with the obligatory 1/2" spacers)? I think I can overcome it, but we'll see when bodywork starts... Oh, installed a Steeda bump steer kit too. You can see it in the last pic. That's about it. Can't wait to get my parts later this week, so I can continue to make some REAL progress. ERIC

10-28-13 Firewall Insulation.JPG10-28-13 Muffler Wrap.JPG10-28-13 Pedal Box.JPG10-28-13 Radiator.JPG
    Last edited by kraftee; 10-28-2013 at 08:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric, would you mind sharing the part #s for the steeda bump steer kit that you purchased. Thanks very much.

Evan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
    Well, had a few days this week to work on the 33. STILL waiting for the EFI harness, but FFR PROMISES to have one to me by midweek...we'll see.
    Well, it must be the guys with the first name of Eric have there EFI wiring harness on backorder. I feel your pain. I've been waiting since late August for my EFI harness for my roadster build. That being said, I did get an email with the FEDEX confirmation something had been shipped and would arrive tomorrow.

Hope you get your harness soon!

Eric
    Mark IV ordered 7/3/2013
    Delivered 8/15/2013 3:00 pm

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan, I bought the manual rack '79-04 kit 555-8105. Simple 10-minute bolt-on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Eric, Jason tells me that I should have my harness this week - sometime. Of course, I don't have a FedEx confirmation on anything yet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Eric, i appreciate the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good, productive day today. Got the first glove box off the new mold and installed it. WORKS GREAT! Slides right into the space where Factory Five thinks the battery ought to go - and gives me 24" x 9" x 6" of good, dry, safe storage behind the seats. I decided to leave the entire front open, but left a 1" lip on the bottom to keep things from sliding out of the box. From the driver seat I can easily reach between the seats and access whatever is in the glove box. I also installed my master switch in the back top part of the box. Completely hidden, but easy to reach from the driver seat. You can see it in some of the pics. Needless to say, I am very happy with how it all worked out. So, that is all I was waiting for to finish installing the interior sheet metal, driveshaft tunnel and Eastwood Thermo-Coustic padding. Got it all finished today. Still waiting for AC parts and for the damned EFI harness, but at least I can sit in the driver seat, push the pedals and make Vroom Vroom noises...

10-29-13 Glove Box 1.JPG10-29-13 Glove Box 2.JPG10-29-13 Glove Box 3.JPG10-29-13 Glove Box 4.JPG10-29-13 Interior 1.JPG10-29-13 Interior 2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    AAAAARRRGH! I wish, just once, that SOMEONE at FFR would do what they PROMISED they were going to do, WHEN they PROMISED they were going to do it... Guess I won't be seeing my harness until at least Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, today was a busy day - but doing sculptures, not Hot Rod stuff. Got another show coming up in a week. Anyway, I was able to get my gauges and gauge panel fitted to the body. Also took a shot of the seat belts installed.

11-1-13 Gauge Panel 1.JPG11-1-13 Gauge Panel 2.JPG11-1-13 Seat Belts.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looking good! Nice progress!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Erik. I sent you a PM

Post Thanks / Like
    FINALLY got my EFI harness yesterday (VERY long story on how that came to arrive this weekend...) At any rate, got it installed on the car. Looks great! Now I just have to call Ron Francis tomorrow with some questions on integrating it into the main harness...

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally have pretty much all my air conditioning system parts, so today was a busy day. Did the hard lines on the condenser and secured them to the fan shroud as per the excellent advice of Tom Wallace. Finished the assembly of the grille, radiator, condenser, and hood mounts - then mounted the assembly. I like the non-painted condenser MUCH better than FFR's black-painted unit. Also mounted the compressor, receiver/dryer, evaporator, and plumbed most of the system. Still missing some heater hose connections at the firewall, but I'll get those tomorrow - and will also have all my ac hoses crimped. Wired everything but the trinary switch on the receiver/dryer. Will also do that tomorrow. I really like the new Mini Gen II Vintage Air evaporator. It really cleans up the hose mess under the dash. On that subject, I pretty much have the large mass of underdash wiring wrangled and tied down. All fuses and relays will be easily accessible from the removable cowl panel. I need to buy some of those neodymium magnets at Radio Shack to put together a simple hold-down system.

Last week I was able to get the billet gauge panel shaped to match the curve of the dash. I was also able to finish the gauge/lights wiring and the electronic controls for the air conditioning. Everything should just plug right in when I mount up the body next week to begin fitting doors, hood, trunk, etc. I also got my seat sliders from Glide Engineering. They work great and the bonus is that they lift the seats about 2.5" up off the floor. Really feels more comfortable behind the wheel now.

Probably another day of finishing up the ac install tomorrow, then there's nothing left except to start the thing up and see if it runs. I think I'll wait until I have my buddies over on Sunday. We're going to be doing laps all day on my MX track, but most of them are into cars too, so should be a good group for the 33's first start.

ERIC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and a few more pics... Anyone else having problems with the uploader on this forum today? Having to load pics one at a time. What a pain...
    Attached Images Attached Images

16. Likes shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Erik! Let me know when you plan on starting it up. I may come by.

Post Thanks / Like
    One other thing I just remembered: When I went to install my fuel filler in the body, it basically fell apart in my hands. Tom Wallace (wallace18) had the same problem. The outside ring is just superglued to the filler neck! I don't know how many others have discovered this, but I am guessing it is not TOO huge a problem as long as your rubber filler hose is stiff enough to hold everything up when you shove a gas pump handle into the neck. Tom drilled, tapped and screwed his back together. That is probably the best way to go about repairing it, but I didn't like the look of all those screws. Plus, it's a lot of work with tiny little taps! So I decided to go with JB Weld. I am quite sure it isn't going to come apart now. Hell, back in the 80s, we used JB Weld to build up an internal engine casting on a '31 Mercedes Mannheim we were restoring. Good stuff. So my suggestion to anyone with a build in progress is to take a close look at your fuel filler to make sure it's secure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom. Probably going to start it Sunday afternoon. I'll let you know for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, finished pretty much everything and filled the radiator with coolant. The Vintage Air Mini Gen II is a mixed blessing. On one hand, with all the connections under the blower, you don't have miles of hoses routing all over the evaporator and blower. But on the other hand, the outlets are REALLY close to the firewall manifold. Routing these tiny short hoses is a nightmare. But, after a couple trips to CarQuest for various heater hose elbows and 180s, the job is finished and I am very happy with it. Also, used several multi plugs to simplify the connections to the dash when the body is set back on. Looks like first start is still scheduled for Sunday.

11-15-13 Evaporator.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Gambling doesn't pay

Well, since the donor EFI 302 for my hot rod came out of one of our old race cars, you would naturally assume that I pulled it apart to check for wear/damage/etc. before painting it and installing it in my new build. Right? Nope. I rolled the dice since the car seemed to run perfectly the last time it was raced...FIVE years ago. Had all my buddies over today to help/watch the first start. Added a few gallons of high-test, connected the battery and turned the key. No starter noise. Nothing except running fuel pump. Which continued to run and run. Hmm. Stuck injector? Maybe one of my cylinders was filling with fuel? Pulled the plugs out to see if any were wet. One was. With water. crap. Remembered the clutch safety switch, pushed the clutch in and bumped the starter to turn the motor over for just a second - and sprayed nasty, smelly water all over everything out of the number 8 spark plug hole. Double crap. Pulled the head to find the cylinder full of water. In short, the motor is junk. Time for Plan B - whatever that is...

11-17-13 Cylinder 8.JPG11-17-13 Interior.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear that. Engine factory is a good quick source. I had great dealings with them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay. Plan B is in effect. I am trying to stay to some semblance of a budget on this build - and a new engine obviously was not figured in! The junk motor is a 1988 Mustang HO 5.0 with some head work, intake work, and a Speed Density EFI system. We actually found the Speed Density system to make more horsepower than the Mass Air system for "showroom stock" racing. Plus, it makes for a simpler, cleaner induction system in the very limited space we have on these cars. So, my choices here were to build a much stouter 5.0 - which would involve converting to Mass Air, plus all the requisite performance stuff. I ABSOLUTELY want to retain EFI. I figure my budget for a motor like that would have to be around five grand - if I built it myself - seven to eight grand if I bought one from one of the many performance engine builders out there. So, I will save that for some time down the road when I am bored and need another project.

My second choice was to just replace the junk long block with a remanufactured engine. Summit carries a reman stock HO 5.0 long block and it's only $1,800 delivered to my door. So, pulled the trigger on that this morning. It MIGHT be here by Friday - and if it is, it WILL be running by Sunday afternoon. So the whole ordeal will only have cost me one week plus about two grand. I can live with that - and even justify it to the wife! In fact, she actually feels really bad for me that this happened. Which is nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a good alternative you came up with. Let me know if you need any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sitting here on the couch half-watching TV and half-mulling over my current engine woes. Since my new long block is on its way (I'm yanking the old engine out tomorrow) THAT part of my engine starting problem is dealt with. So, I started thinking about the constant fuel pump running issue. I think I have figured it out. Maybe one of you EFI gurus can let me know if my logic is sound: I am guessing, since there is no pressure switch in the fuel circuit, that the EEC must have some kind of built-in timer to shut off the pump after the normal 2-second prime. Right? Welllllll, when I finally got my Ron Francis EFI harness, I had already powered the fuel pump through the chassis harness. I asked the tech at Ron Francis if I needed to disconnect that and power the fuel pump through the EFI harness. He said no, it didn't really matter where the fuel pump got its power. I think that was a mistake. My guess is that if I clip the power wire going from the main harness and replace it with the (pink) fuel pump wire on the EFI harness, all will be right with the world - at least as far as the fuel pump is concerned. Does any of that make sense? ERIC

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you keep the fuel pump circuit in line with the shock sensor you should be good. That sensor cuts power in case of an accident. IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, the inertia switch ALSO had to be switched to the pink plug from the EEC NOW, when my new motor is installed, the fuel pump should do its two-second prime thing when the key is swtiched on. Of course, since the system has been opened, I'll jump the inertia switch at the EEC test plug and run the fuel pump for 30 seconds or so before trying to start the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Back to Square One

Engine is out. Inertia switch and fuel pump are now wired correctly through the EEC. Just gotta wait for Summit to ship me my new long block...

11-19-13 Back to Sqaure 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear about your engine Eric. Hopefully your able to get your new block and back in the car soon! Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your first start with the new engine and hope all goes well as it should!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. Got my new longblock yesterday afternoon. Painted it and installed intake, pan, timing cover, etc. Installation tomorrow. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll be back where I was a week or so ago! Pictures tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftee View Post
    OK. Got my new longblock yesterday afternoon. Painted it and installed intake, pan, timing cover, etc. Installation tomorrow. Hopefully by tomorrow night I'll be back where I was a week or so ago! Pictures tomorrow.
    Good news! Hope it all goes well looking and forward to hearing about your 1st start!

Post Thanks / Like
    Woo hoo! Engine is in and bolted up. Now, since we have company for the Holidays, I will have to get up at oh-dark-thirty to bolt all the accessories on and connect everything - and bolt the grill/radiator back on. Want to start it this week! I promise to take pics tomorrow...

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to where I was about 10 days ago. Of course, I only have a couple days before we head back to our New York place for Christmas. So, my guess is that first start will have to wait until just before New Year's. Oh well, hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!

11-28-13 Pic 1.JPG11-28-13 Pic 2.JPG11-28-13 Pic 3.JPG11-28-13 Pic 4.JPG11-28-13 Pic 5.JPG11-28-13 Pic 6.JPG11-28-13 Pic 7.JPG11-28-13 Pic 8.JPG11-28-13 Pic 9.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    33 looks bad a** with the hood off! Love the wheels and tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom. I am REALLY liking how this thing is turning out. Before I head to the frozen north for the Holidays (tomorrow night), I wanted to solicit some opinions from you guys. I understand that - especially with underdrive pulleys - I am going to have to get some heat out of the engine compartment. To that end, I have looked at some of the different louver and vent designs that have been posted on the forums. I am thinking of going with something simple like the side of a 30's Mercedes 500K or 540K. Especially on the Sindelfingen bodied special roadsters, they had triple horizontal mesh vents on the hood sides. Look at the pics; I put some blue tape where I am thinking of cutting. What do you guys think?

38-Mercedes_540K_Rdstr.jpg12-2-13 Hood Vent Mockup 2.JPG12-2-13 Hoood Vent Mockup 1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks sweet! I would do it in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eric,
    Did you check out Run Cool hood louvers. Hoodlouvers.com. They have some wider louvers than I have seen on other sites.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Mike. Yep, I've been to that site before. That was my first thought - but I am still leaning towards doing something with the mesh screen. Now I have to figure out what kind of mesh I want... Tom, where did you get your screen from?
    Last edited by kraftee; 12-02-2013 at 07:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the stainless steel mesh look alot, but I think the rectangular grilles need to be scaled back, in relationship to the size of the hood sides. My taste leans towards using those elements as subtle, but always functional accents, that don't jump out at you, but tell you something is different, and are noticed on closer examination. An extended tear drop shaped, staggered in length and width might be interesting. Just my humble opinion. Also a nice touch would be a nice radiused edge on the opening. A router with a radiused bit, might speed that up, after the openings are cut and sanded. They will be really cool no matter how you build them. Build them the way you like them, that's what our hobby is all about. Different strokes for different folks.
    Last edited by Robert Andrew; 12-02-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    custom cargrills .comfor the mesh

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom. Looks like they have a great assortment of mesh styles. And thanks for your input Robert. I will try scaling back the size of the rectangular patterns to see how I like them. It's hard to see in the pictures, but I have radiused the lower corners of the rectangles in the rear and the upper corners in the front. I like that look. Also, the front and rear edges of the rectangles follow the same line as the front and rear of the side panels. However, when it's all said and done, these openings are less for a styling accent than they are for both cooling - AND for being able to see the sides of the engine a bit. My plan is to use at least a 70% open mesh to that end. ERIC

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast