Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tech Works Engineering (NEW VENDOR!)

Post Thanks / Like

Tech Works Engineering (NEW VENDOR!)

Hi, I would like to introduce our company, Tech Works Engineering. We have been developing and designing Subaru parts from scratch since 1999. I personally have an extensive background in Superbike racing, both as a pro racer and an engine developer/tuner. It's good to see we have a quite a few bike enthusiast on this forum.
    We are responsible for the manufacture of Sivertop's exhaust sytem. Although are niche is the Normally Aspirated engines, we have been building turbo Subaru engines and exhaust systems for a long long time. We pride ourselves on building true equal length headers with properly designed merge collectors. There are very few current exhaust sytems that fall in this category. If you are within an inch difference on your primary tube, I'll throw you a bone and call it equal length, but I have yet to see any production headers sold that even come much under 3 inches!
    I have a few header pics here The ceramic coated one is the same as Silvertop's. The 4-2-1 header is for the WRX/STi:
    4-1-header full system small(2).jpg4-2-1_HO_Header 002 small.jpg2.5i_4-1 Ceramic coated small.jpgSTi header ver2 009small.jpg

Tom Penner
    Tech Works Engineering Inc.
    [email protected]
    PH 403-219-0085

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom, I hope you don't mind but I created a new thread for you.

Folks, check out our new vendor! He has a solid pedigree of Subaru engine hop-ups! I'll leave it to Tom to explain further, but please welcome him on board the forum!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to the uncommonly high quality header that Techworks built for me, they also provided me with a high-flow cat and a shorty muffler to finish out the working parts of my 818S exhaust system. I just need to connect the components. With a little luck, I'll be able to use the exhaust tubing provided by FFR for that -- or use it as a template if it is not sized correctly...........

Techworks also provided their Stage II cam setup and hd valve spring assembly for my build (which was installed in my engine by AJW Performance before they shipped my donor pallet to me).

I'm really satisfied with the headers and other goodies provided to me by Tom Penner of Techworks. Couldn't be happier!!

They are also a good source for cylinder head machine work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes!! And Canadian made!

Tom, how thick is your ceramic coating? .015"?

Hopefully you can also work on the EZ30.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool ....Welcome.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your just down the road from me, (Edmonton). What other services do you offer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian818 View Post
    Your just down the road from me, (Edmonton). What other services do you offer?
    Regarding the coating thickness, Top Gun Coatings in Calgary does all of our coatings. I don't recall the thickness off hand.
    We have done work on the EG33 but have not done any EZ30 thus far although I am pretty familiar with their specifications and relevant geometry.
    As far as our range of services, we offer complete short-blocks and long-blocks, from closed deck to open deck. We offer sleeving, porting, boring, milling and valve seat machining (the last two services are outsourced, but we measure everything. A lot of machine shops have learned to hate us for our quality control. The ones that don't, get our business). We also offer flow bench testing and cam profiling and design. We offer our own designed and Alberta manufactured 4140 valve retainers and springs seats for our spring kits as well. And of course, we offer exhaust systems for most models of Subarus. All headers, cat sections and intermediate pipes (2.5i application) are built by us.
    We currently are offering JDM closed deck 2L blocks that we have CNC machined for rear thrust main bearings. We then use the new 79mm stroke STi induction hardened crank with our own proprietary design pistons (pic below). This gives you about 2.15L. With our 83mm nitrided billet crank you get about 2.25L. One advantage of the small bore with the longer stroke is that due to the decreased flame travel distance, detonation is greatly reduced. We are in the process of putting about 6 of these together.
    2.15 piston_small.jpg

I hope this helps.

Tom Penner
    Calgary
    403-219-0085
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    That is nice talking! I like that, I can understand what's inside the engine.

So that 2.25L revs up to 8500?
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear that there are some excellent Subaru vendors here in Canada, and even right in my home town of Calgary! I'll certainly be in touch, as I just started my tear-down last Saturday. I should have the engine out of my Donor in about another week, and will be looking for a few upgrade options on my 2.5L NA engine.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    First start: Sept 28, 2014
    Go-carted: Oct 4, 2014
    Registered and Street legal Sept 30, 2015
    Calgary, Alberta

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Do you gentlemen ever build 2.33Ls?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Do you gentlemen ever build 2.33Ls?
    I am assuming you are referring to 2.5L engines de-stroked with the 75mm cranks from the 2.0L engines. Yes, we have built them before. I was running one last year in my personal WRX wagon. I ran a 20G turbo with the large hot side. Even with stock cams and the rev limit raised to 7800 rpm, I was constantly hitting the rev limit. I really enjoyed this combination.

Tom

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice, I'm looking to do one next year. nothing crazy I'll reach out to you guys when it's closer.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, I met a guy at the track this weekend who had work done here and he was qute pleased. Sleeved his 2.5 I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    im new to subaru engines and im wondering why equal lenght headers are important or are they just for sound?
    kerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by indiana818 View Post
    im new to subaru engines and im wondering why equal lenght headers are important or are they just for sound?
    kerry
    No. Many Suby diehards would argue that the unequal length headers sound better -- because they create the characteristic Subaru "boxer rumble" -- though I'm not in that camp. I think my equal length headers will sound better. But the real reason for equal length headers is to help the engine run better and make more power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Judging by a couple of vids in the build threads, it seems like the equal length have a very very nice sound in the 818 configuration (exhaust is quite different than the normal Subaru).
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Search for 3mi racing/homemade wrx on NASIOC. He pretty much started the long rod/short stroke deal on the EJ's.

Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Nice, I'm looking to do one next year. nothing crazy I'll reach out to you guys when it's closer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    In addition to the uncommonly high quality header that Techworks built for me, they also provided me with a high-flow cat and a shorty muffler to finish out the working parts of my 818S exhaust system. I just need to connect the components. With a little luck, I'll be able to use the exhaust tubing provided by FFR for that -- or use it as a template if it is not sized correctly...........

Techworks also provided their Stage II cam setup and hd valve spring assembly for my build (which was installed in my engine by AJW Performance before they shipped my donor pallet to me).

I'm really satisfied with the headers and other goodies provided to me by Tom Penner of Techworks. Couldn't be happier!!

They are also a good source for cylinder head machine work.
    Have you installed the exhaust system yet? I'm curious as to what clearance you have under the chassis with the headers and exhaust installed. Would it be safe for a DD version of an 818 (speed bumps, potholes are very common in my area).
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Triathletedave View Post
    Have you installed the exhaust system yet? I'm curious as to what clearance you have under the chassis with the headers and exhaust installed. Would it be safe for a DD version of an 818 (speed bumps, potholes are very common in my area).
    Dave,
    It seems that the obvious answer to most of your questions could be addressed by driving down to see the manufacturer.

Tom Penner
    [email protected]
    403-219-0085

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not installed it yet, and won't be able to for some time. I have had to delay the formal start of my build while I completed insulation of my garage. Happily, that is almost done. But it will be a couple of months at least before the engine goes into the frame.

However, the photographs provided by Techworks of the identical header on their building jig indicate that the header does not drop below the oil pan, so it should be safe enough. I hope so. Because the plan is for my 818 to be my DD, at least from May to November.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm located in Calgary, so I'll use this as my excuse to drop in to their shop and chat with a few of their staff. If I can get detailed specs, I'll update the forum too.

Being so close to their shop is going to be expensive. Fun, but expensive!
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm located in Calgary, so I'll use this as my excuse to drop in to their shop and chat with a few of their staff. If I can get detailed specs, I'll update the forum too.

Being so close to their shop is going to be expensive. Fun, but expensive!
    The fellow you want to chat with is Tom Penner. Owner, operator, and hands-on builder. And he's fun to talk to. He knows stuff!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom
    i have a 2.5 n/a engine that i just dropped in my 818 chassis
    i am in the market for an exhaust system. What do you suggest?
    I want to run the exhaust thru the rear mesh outlet if you are familiar
    with the 818 car.

Kerry sylvester
    765 6354 7949
    e mail [email protected]
    anderson,indiana

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by indiana818 View Post
    Tom
    i have a 2.5 n/a engine that i just dropped in my 818 chassis
    i am in the market for an exhaust system. What do you suggest?
    I want to run the exhaust thru the rear mesh outlet if you are familiar
    with the 818 car.

Kerry sylvester
    765 6354 7949
    e mail [email protected]
    anderson,indiana
    Is yours an 818S? I should invite Tom Penner over to snoop at my 818 (I live in Calgary where Tech Works is located), as I have an NA 2.5L engine in my 818S. He can take a few measurements on site, and maybe develop a few exhaust options for 818 builders. There are two of us in Calgary, one in Edmonton, one in the Vancouver area, and countless customers in the east and the USA.
    TriguyDave
    818 noobie builder
    Calgary, Alberta

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool!

Post Thanks / Like
    what setup on your website would work for a 06 wrx going on a 818s?
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    It's great to see a tuner/builder who knows NA 2.5 engines on here!
    I've decided that my 818R should be an NA engine. Either a EZ36 or 2.5i .

I live in Outback/Legacy Wagon/Tribeca country, there are tons of wrecked EZ36s here. For example a 2011 30K mile EZ 36 complete engine assembly is available from a local wrecker for $2500.

Have you done any work on the EZ30 or EZ36?

Can you post up a couple of dyno graphs of your full race NA 2.5L builds? What ECU and Tuning tool are you using on them? If the power is there I would probably go with a built 2.5 NA simply because the dry sump system is already developed and the package size/weight is better.

And I may be in Banff next spring for ski trip so I could pick it up at your shop!
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer