Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Honolulu 818S Hana (work/build) Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That 6/10 tube is very good stuff, I love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Bikini top

I'm thinking of something between the bikini top on my Jeep and what Porsche has. Maybe the u-channel across the windshield frame like on my Jeep, a support bar that bolts to the back across my two hoops, and receiver for rear straps inside the body through the engine cover intake slots on each side, similar to Porsche. Everything to be designed to remove and fit in the trunk without a lot of fasteners/connections left when the top if off to make you wonder what is missing.

Any comments would be appreciated! Thanks.
    Hi Aloha818 and Hula Girl,
    First let me say: Great job. I look for you post every morning.

I also am entertaining a Bikini top idea. I'm planning on using some awning track for the front windshield edge.
    See attached photos.
    Bob
    arp15c.jpgmazdas-mx-5-spyder-concept_100368756_l.jpgmazdas-mx-5-spyder-concept_100368769_l.jpgmazdas-mx-5-spyder-concept_100368771_l.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 07-21-2014 at 07:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with you. I want to add a sort of targa bar over the roll bar, widen's the top at the occupant's head and supports the top. Use a "frankenstein bolt" like a miata uses for the hard top in the rear and a strap with a latch and the ability to pull it tight.... perhaps some strong elestic to aid in keeping it tight
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloha818 View Post
    And all the time leading up to that day, as your prepping for paint you are always wondering if you are getting it right. I know that people that do this for a living are probably laughing at my posts, but at least those like me that are not professional can understand where I'm coming from and at least learn enough to ask the pros questions.
    The first and last time I did any body work was a bit over half a lifetime ago when I was 18. I had a 1968 VW Bug that needed a lot of body work and then a paint job. I did all the body work myself which was a real challenge for a novice since everything was so curvy.... not a single flat surface on that car! Someone else sprayed the paint. It turned out great, as I'm sure yours will..... I think a lot of us tend to go for perfection in doing body work, for the reasons you mention above, and we are surprised to see how good it looks after the paint is on.

As for no one noticing the little changes but yourself.... well, that's all that's important right? Otherwise just go buy a car Keep up the great work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    I also am entertaining a Bikini top idea. I'm planning on using some awning track for the front windshield edge.
    See attached photos.
    Bob
    arp15c.jpgmazdas-mx-5-spyder-concept_100368756_l.jpgmazdas-mx-5-spyder-concept_100368769_l.jpgmazdas-mx-5-spyder-concept_100368771_l.jpg
    I really want a bikini top, and I know several others do as well. I talked to Dru at Huntington Beach about it, and he has an upholstery guy he knows. I suggest we work together and group buy/fab the parts, or at least share design details. I'm a ways off from having my windshield frame and body on to take measurements, but will be willing to help out in the process in any way.

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    I really want a bikini top, and I know several others do as well. I talked to Dru at Huntington Beach about it, and he has an upholstery guy he knows. I suggest we work together and group buy/fab the parts, or at least share design details. I'm a ways off from having my windshield frame and body on to take measurements, but will be willing to help out in the process in any way.

Lee
    Mazda stole that idea from Porsche. That top is so similar to what is on my Spyder.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks that way.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    gawd awful

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    That 6/10 tube is very good stuff, I love it.
    I picked the 6/10 up to fill this gap on the windshield frame and to add security to some of the places I used 5-min epoxy for installation speed. Glad it's got a good recommendation.
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
    The first and last time I did any body work was a bit over half a lifetime ago when I was 18. I had a 1968 VW Bug that needed a lot of body work and then a paint job. I did all the body work myself which was a real challenge for a novice since everything was so curvy.... not a single flat surface on that car! Someone else sprayed the paint. It turned out great, as I'm sure yours will..... I think a lot of us tend to go for perfection in doing body work, for the reasons you mention above, and we are surprised to see how good it looks after the paint is on.

As for no one noticing the little changes but yourself.... well, that's all that's important right? Otherwise just go buy a car Keep up the great work.
    Hindsight, thanks for commenting and adding to the forum. Well the 818 is similar to your bug, almost no straight panels anywhere!
    "In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is strength, in water there is bacteria."

818 (Chassis #34) Delivered 9/25/2013, First start 3/2/2014, First drive 4/5/2014, Registered 8/28/2015, First Dyno 3/18/2016, First SCCA event 4/3/2016, First car show HIN Honolulu 4/23/2016

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Hi Aloha818 and Hula Girl,
    First let me say: Great job. I look for you post every morning.

See attached photos.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    I'm with you. I want to add a sort of targa bar over the roll bar, widen's the top at the occupant's head and supports the top. Use a "frankenstein bolt" like a miata uses for the hard top in the rear and a strap with a latch and the ability to pull it tight.... perhaps some strong elestic to aid in keeping it tight
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post

Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Mazda stole that idea from Porsche. That top is so similar to what is on my Spyder.
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Looks that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    gawd awful
    Thanks all for jumping in with your comments! I didn't realize that so many others had interest in a bikini top. I guess I hadn't read anyone making any comments.

Bob, thanks for the compliments! That is exactly what I had in mind for the overall look of the bikini top. The only attachment points being the inside of the windshield, the crossbar near the roll bar, and tie downs in the opening of the engine cover for the rear. Perfect!

Wheelhendrick, great idea. No sense in several people trying to invent the same thing. I'm about a week or two away from finishing putting the body together for the last time. When I'm done I would be happy to send measurements in. Let me know how I can get this started. I was planning on taking my car over to a local shop and see how we could come up with something, but then would be expensive for everyone else to pay to ship from Hawaii.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wheelhendrick, great idea. No sense in several people trying to invent the same thing. I'm about a week or two away from finishing putting the body together for the last time. When I'm done I would be happy to send measurements in. Let me know how I can get this started. I was planning on taking my car over to a local shop and see how we could come up with something, but then would be expensive for everyone else to pay to ship from Hawaii.
    I'll start a new thread in the body section so we can put all our ideas and approaches in one place. I'll copy over some existing posts, and if you don't mind sharing your solution there, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    There's an older thread about bikini tops.

I bought both the 818s and 818r CD models too.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Thanks, Craig! I knew it had been discussed before. I'm definitely up for this, so if someone beats me to it (and they probably will) I'll link into that thread to try to keep it current.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to get too off topic but....

My mom is staying with us (wife and I) to help with the baby. She just bought a new sewing/embroidery machine and brought it with her. Have to ask if she's still into helping me. Just heard back from FFR too. I'll be able to buy their windshield to soft top mounting hardware. It'd be nice for any solution to be compatible with other solutions.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Windshield frame prep continues. After the epoxy sat overnight I started spreading filler. I had just finished up the Extreme model filler, bought the Gold this time. I like the Extreme better for running thin skim coats, way less air bubbles. Also the Extreme sets up faster to sand without gumming up the sandpaper. Also started getting the spoiler ready for paint.

image.jpg

I rounded the exterior corners all around, looks good

image.jpg

Then into primer. Looks much cleaner now without that plastic trim.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wet sand tomorrow and into the booth on Saturday.

Next week I'll get the glass installed and start really looking at the bikini top.

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield frame and spoiler paint

Light day at work, so I thought I would take advantage and paint the last of the parts.

Had to get a little creative on how to support the parts and still have access to paint all sides
    image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Naturally the last parts are my best work!

The windshield frame looks so nice being a continuous painted surface. The 14 year old spoiler looks better than new.

I've been working in a complete mess as I didn't want to spend the time cleaning up with so much more filler and sanding to do. So I've retired my can of filler and cleaned up this afternoon. Tomorrow I can actually start re-building an 818. I've been on paint duty so long I hope I can remember what goes where!

If everything goes good I'll be able to take a test drive again tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

Final body assembly

I spent the day putting the painted body panels back on. As typical, it took a little longer than I thought it would. Since I hope this will be the last time for assembly, a tweak here, a tweak there. A little demel, here a little dremel there, most of the day. I bet I took the doors off and on at least 8 times each side to get just a little more perfect. Still have at least one more time each side for minor tweets.

I am very happy with all the extra work and prep I went through to get to this point. The car totally looks like any production car. Even gaps, straight lines, blind panel attachment (only hood pins will be locking type to secure trunk), and with the elimination of the plastic trim on the windshield surround turned out great!

The trunk and engine cover are both installed. I included a pic of the front of the hood lining up with the bumper, a little work and it can be done!

I think while I have the car on jack stands I'm going to go ahead and install and paint the inner wheel wells.

Here are some pics, pretty dusty though;

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    While I have the car on jack stands I'm installing the fender well aluminum, painting with bedliner, installing vent mesh, and misc items that will be covered up by the aluminum.

It took me about 12 hours to fit, notch, clean scuff and paint the aluminum. I did not drill every rivet hole, but enough to cleco everything in place. No major issues, but did require notching and cutting around the fenders and obstacles.

Since I painted the front of the side sails, I cut the FFR supplied aluminum off in this area of both front fenderwells.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had to move the seats so I could remove the rear wheel and install aluminum, what better place than where they go! If only temporary.

image.jpg

First piece of mesh, looks really clean without any trim.

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    While I have the car on jack stands I'm installing the fender well aluminum, painting with bedliner, installing vent mesh, and misc items that will be covered up by the aluminum.

It took me about 12 hours to fit, notch, clean scuff and paint the aluminum. I did not drill every rivet hole, but enough to cleco everything in place. No major issues, but did require notching and cutting around the fenders and obstacles.

Since I painted the front of the side sails, I cut the FFR supplied aluminum off in this area of both front fenderwells.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I had to move the seats so I could remove the rear wheel and install aluminum, what better place than where they go! If only temporary.

image.jpg

First piece of mesh, looks really clean without any trim.

image.jpg
    Don't just scuff the aluminum, it needs to be hit with like 60-80 on a flap wheel so it bits hard and stays on forever.

Ps: car is looking greeeeeat!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lookin good! Do you know how well the bedliner will hold up to rocks, and if it will offer much accoustic deadening? Any idea on the amount of weight it adds?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lookin good! Do you know how well the bedliner will hold up to rocks, and if it will offer much accoustic deadening? Any idea on the amount of weight it adds?
    It's holding up to rocks very well, no chips after about 1,000 miles and it deadens the road noise very well.

Weight, that's what the tune is for lol, it does not add to much, maybe 15lbs if you cover all the wheel well and the surrounding area aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't just scuff the aluminum, it needs to be hit with like 60-80 on a flap wheel so it bits hard and stays on forever.

Ps: car is looking greeeeeat!

You mean like this 60 grit;

image.jpg

I also pre clean with acetone first.

Thanks for the compliment!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's holding up to rocks very well, no chips after about 1,000 miles and it deadens the road noise very well.

Weight, that's what the tune is for lol, it does not add to much, maybe 15lbs if you cover all the wheel well and the surrounding area aluminum.
    Like metalmaker said, bedliner lasts well, I painted in my Jeeps wheel wells 3 years ago and they look like new.

I'm going to use almost a gallon of bedliner on my 818, this includes painting almost all aluminum and all of the backside of all the fiberglass panels. I can't imagine that a gallon even weighs 10 lbs and probably 25% is the carrier that will evaporate.

Not sure what the acoustic benefit will be, but it will will be some, and at least better than just black paint that would still be needed to make the wheel wells look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the last two days trying to finish up everything under the car and in the wheel wells so I can put the wheels/tires back on and drop the car to the ground.

I installed the mesh in both front and rear wheel areas, found a couple places that the brake line needed additional supports, needed to paint bedliner on the aluminum under the seating area, finish riveting the side sails, tighten some suspension bits and install cotter pins, the list goes on!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

First Bath!

The windshield should get installed before the end of the week, and I needed to clean the shop and get rid of the dust to get ready to start on the interior. So I drove it outside and gave it a quick blow off and wash.

I'm very excited on how this car looks, very sexy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tomorrow I need to reinstall the rear lighting and the gas fill cap. Then a quick run and some more pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! Black is the new Orange! LOL!!

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW!!!!!!!!!! Can not wait to see it all done, awesome job! Love the wing on the back too!

Post Thanks / Like
    What was the rear spoiler from? It goes really well with the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    You mean like this 60 grit;

image.jpg

I also pre clean with acetone first.

Thanks for the compliment!
    That doesn't hurt but I would recommend an aluminum "metal prep" as a last step before painting aluminum. Like Afterblast which etches and leaves a zinc phosphate coating.
    Carry on... nice work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quiny Tiburon

Scargo zinc phosphate etching is more for steel than aluminum, his aggressive scratching/etching should work fine since aluminum doesn't have a flash oxidation issue like steel
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Car looks amazing Aloha.
    818SC chassis #206 EJ207 2.0L VF37 twin scroll || Cusco type RS 1.5 LSD || Wilwood pedal box (firewall attach) || Wilwood superlite front calipers
    BUILD Phase 1: 6/6/2014 car delivered || 5/24/2015 first start || 6/7/2015 go karted || 4/20/2016 hard-top-topped || 10/25/2016 registered || 11/18/2016 inspected & complete
    BUILD Phase 2: 3/8/2017 EJ207v8 || 5/29/2017 re-first re-start || 7/17/2017 re-assembled with race car bits

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if its the color, or the custom touches like the roll hoops, or the obsessive attention to detail of door gaps and panel alignment, or the excellent body prep, (or all of the above), but you can really see how great the FFR design looks with this car. It really does look awesome.

Maybe Jims design has grown on us a little, or maybe over time all the visions of what we individually wished for from all the design contest prototypes have faded, but wow, that just looks sooo good (and I'm not usually a fan of black cars). The way the curves of fender and Q panel flow, the vents, the aggressive look of the rear fender flares and humps. Just fantastic.

You've made FFR's vision really come to life. I'd like to see FFR look at incorporating some of your designs into the next 818 revision. Especially the roll hoops, sunken license plate (though I realize that complicates things for euro plates, 818 is a World Car), etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks really really good. I like the two hoops and even the red seats, which I didn't think I would.

Post Thanks / Like
    Every inch a fantastic build!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. Now let's see some sunset/golden hour pics with a good camera. Wish I was there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Wow. Now let's see some sunset/golden hour pics with a good camera. Wish I was there!
    Erik-

I agree with one modest addition. I was hoping he could do the sunset picture with the girl in his avatar! To me, that would be perfect.

Awesome car with a stunning model at a location as close to heaven as there is. In my opinion at least.

The car is simply amazing, and I can't wait to see the final pictures!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The windshield should get installed before the end of the week, and I needed to clean the shop and get rid of the dust to get ready to start on the interior. So I drove it outside and gave it a quick blow off and wash.

I'm very excited on how this car looks, very sexy!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tomorrow I need to reinstall the rear lighting and the gas fill cap. Then a quick run and some more pics!
    I never really liked the orange on the 818, but I like the black. I hate red seats and not a fan of the spoiler off the car, but you made it work nicely man. Looking like a car, and besides my love for white, blue, gunmetal and red on this car, the black is totally on my list with your beautiful body work. Now be careful and drive it fast.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast