Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 33 Ragtop

Post Thanks / Like

33 Ragtop

I gave myself an early Birthday Present this year. I ordered the FFR/RodTops soft top for #007 with the hope of extending my driving season here in WI and also the range of driving without staring at the Weather Channel. I have a hardtop, but it's not very eacy to fold it up and stow it in the trunk!!

I'd love to hear from anyone who's used the soft top and how you like it. How much time does it take to get it out of the trunk and erect it, for instance?

I'm looking at ideas to store at least part of the top in a compartment built into the "waterfall" area behind the seats. I won't know until I receive the top whether there will be room for any/all of it. From RodTops they said two bags are 19"x11"x~3" thck and the front bow and canvas are 48" wide by about 6" thick folded. My guess is the front bow and canvas will have to go in the trunk, but I might be able to sneak the other things into the "compartment" I'm contemplating.

Also, has anyone else attempted to interface between the soft top and FFR's electric windows? I already have those windows, but might need something to close the gaps between the top and the windows.

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking you may go with something simple and just do a soft top cover like they had on the cars from the 20's and 30s.

P

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

I am very happy with my rag top. I also have the optional side curtains. It was very easy to install first time. |It is a quality piece of gear, great fit and finish. I have used it in a downpour and even without the curtains on, I stayed relatively dry. It fits in the trunk diagonally, but I modified the trunk so the bow and canvas would fit across, on top of the fender wells. It just fits. The photo shows everything, including the side curtains. I am using differnt mirrors and found that the visibility in the traditional blind spot is poor. So I attach two convex bike mirrors nobody notices them and I can drive in heavy traffic with confidence. I do not have glass windows.

It takes 10 minutes to install and can be done with one person, but is much easier with two.
    2260.jpg
    Last edited by Jay Mann; 08-20-2013 at 07:15 PM.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jay, That's good use of dead space above the wheel arches. That might be easier than what I was considering. However, I have some of that space used up by my battery box.

I'm glad to hear that the Erector Set goes together with relative ease. It looks like it will just take getting used to.

Hi P, I'd thought about a "bimini" top from the roll bar to the windshield with some simple glass fiber bows. I probably could have a local canvas shop make up such a thing. On a chilly night in WI, that might still leave a bit to be desired!

Thanks, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Those tops are drop dead pretty. Happy Birthday !!

Post Thanks / Like

#007 Goes Under Cover!

Just in time for my Birthday, I received my FFR/RodTops canvas for #007. While I usually use the "Measure Twice, Drill Once" method I wanted to make sure I was doing everything just right here. Also, working on a finished car does have certain other challenges such as protecting the car's finish, etc.

All I can do is echo Jay's reply posted here earlier. This went together very well on a car that has been on the road for over 9000 miles and was assembled way before RodTops was offering the rag top. It was relatively simple and with the exception of breaking a 6x32 tap in one of the holes, all went well. It fits snug and looks great. I knew the price seemed a bit much, but the quality of the materials, construction and fit of all components is top notch.

I have electric windows and am going to make up a template to see if RodTops can make up a zip in side panel to close the gaps between the top and the glass. It should be just about the same as the side curtain but without the 'eyezenglass curtains" part. That would make 007 weather proof even here in WI.

Front Right View......................

Left Rear View.........................

Left Side View.......................

The rear window is quite a bit larger than the HardTop glass, so rearward center vision is quite good.

Jay, I'm using convex glass for the Right Side mirror like most new cars do. I just popped the old mirror out and bought (for less than $5) a "stick on" round convex mirror the same diameter at NAPA. I popped the glass out of it and glued it into the FFR side mirror casting. Works great. I may consider doing the same on the Drivers side once I get out and about with the new rag top.

Best regards, Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 09-15-2013 at 01:19 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks Great!

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

Glad your top worked out as well as mine. It really is a good product, worth the money, and looks so good. I am using mirrors that have an elongated elliptical shape ( same as Dan Ruth). Trying to find a convex to fit has been a challenge. I like your idea for replacing the lens, I will use that on the peep mirrors for my 46 Chevy.

Regards,
    Jay
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great car. The thread is helpful, but I'm curious about what fuel fill cap you used, and if it spits fuel back on your top and paint.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi RA and thanks for the complement. When I first tried to fill the tank with the fuel cap in the "stock" location in the trunk, it took ~ 10 to 12 minutes to fill the tank with it burping all the time. So, when we did the body work I shortened the neck of the filler, shortened the rubber connector to the tank and moved the filler to the deck. It's clear of both the hardtop and the new rag top. It's the original fitting FFR shipped with the kit, but I cut off the bottom 1.5" of it.

That mod got the fuel to flow into the stock tank without the backup, burps and very slow speed of the standard location. (I also increased the breather's size at the same time, so don't know which gave the best improvement).

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom. Great engineering. I think I'll copy your installation. Don't apply for your patent for a few months. I can't afford a lawyer to defend me against patent enfringement:-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely beautiful.......
    U.S. NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC (RETIRED)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Side Mirrors

As mentioned above, I used the FFR side mirrors on my car. However, the Right Side didn't have enough adjustment to get the job done. (I was looking at the side of the road, but not the lane next to me)

I first drilled and tapped the "arm" and added threaded rod so I could turn the mirror in further but that still left me with very limited right hand side viewing. So, I looked in NAPA's catalog on-line and found a "stick on" convex mirror of the same diameter (NAPA Part # LIT 7044D). I think it was less than $5.00, but can't remember. Then I popped out the old flat glass (it was "hot glued" in place). The NAPA convex mirror was in a plastic housing so all I needed to do was run it under hot water and pop out the glass from the plastic holder. Just to make sure the mirror lasts a while before getting fuzzy, I urethaned the back side of the mirror to prevent moisture damage over time. Then I glued it in to the FFR standard round holder with "Automotive Goop."

This has helped me whether the new Ragtop is on or not. I made the change over a year ago but still remember the less than confident lane changes I had to make before changing the right side mirror.

View from Outside the Car looking in.....................

Note the rear Window size in each image. It's the same window, but the Convex mirror lens effect is more easily judged by seeing the difference.

View from Driver's Seat looking out......................

Again in this image you can see the lens effect understanding it's the same distance to the garage door back there behind the car.

So, rather than replace the entire housing and mounting system, you can replace just the glass.

Best regards, Tom
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 09-18-2013 at 11:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A beautiful Fall day here in WI. I stopped to pick up my mail and as I started back to the car, noticed I had a "photo op" with the '33 parked in front of a early 1900's building in "Down Town" Elkhart Lake.

I sure won't miss wearing Sun Screen on long Road Trips!

Best regards, Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Going "Topless" in a '33..............

My car ended up being the Poster Child for this guy's photography web site.

Another 15 seconds of Fame!

TV
    Last edited by Tom Veale; 09-24-2013 at 11:44 AM.