Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: rollcage done

Post Thanks / Like

rollcage done

I finished my 4 point cage and dropped a few pics in the gallery.
    It's not legal to any sanctioning body but IMO it will enhance my safety on the street.

I'm building a driver not a racer so no 5 point harness just a three point belt and with that
    and easy in and out in mind I avoided headknockers and any down bars that would hack
    up the body. It's was hard to do a bolt in front hoop through the dash and still let the body
    come off as needed but it works. I may add a couple minor pieces later if there is room but I am happy
    with how it meets my needs. A remove-able cage that I will wrap with padding just in case.

rc3rs.jpg
    DB
    Hemi33
    Last edited by myjones; 02-12-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

updated pics

Quote Originally Posted by myjones View Post
    I finished my 4 point cage and dropped a few pics in the gallery.
    It's not legal to any sanctioning body but IMO it will enhance my safety on the street.

I'm building a driver not a racer so no 5 point harness just a three point belt and with that
    and easy in and out in mind I avoided headknockers and any down bars that would hack
    up the body. It's was hard to do a bolt in front hoop through the dash and still let the body
    come off as needed but it works. I may add a couple minor pieces later if there is room but I am happy
    with how it meets my needs. The rear hoop was fairly complicated with 7 bends but it all worked out
    with lots of headroom and a remove-able cage that I will wrap with padding just in case.
    DB
    Hemi33
    Just dumped a few pics of the updated cage. Added taco gussets and more headroom for a tall wife
    Sorry about the big pics, not sure what's different but my uploads didn't use to be like that.
    Can an admin re-size them for me?
    DB
    Last edited by myjones; 02-12-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    BIIIIIIG pictures! So I downsized them because I'm very interested to see them. In my dream project I want a roll-cage so I wanted to see this properly.

I use an online resizer............http://www.obviousidea.com/windows-s...image-resizer/

The download is a free demo copy and is quick and easy to use.

Can you explain exactly where the front tubes pick up on the chassis? Are they welded or drop-in like the FF rear hoop?

Gotta say that's an excellent job you've done there. It's exactly what I had in mind......not necessarily competition certifiable, just peace of mind.

Martin.
    Last edited by MT-ED; 02-24-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    Can you explain exactly where the front tubes pick up on the chassis? Are they welded or drop-in like the FF rear hoop? It's exactly what I had in mind......not necessarily competition certifiable, just peace of mind.
    Martin.
    Martin; Finally saw your name in a post, thanks for the embed now people can see them right.
    I kept thinking sooner or later I would fatfinger MT-ED and call you MR Ed not sure if you are old enough to know of the talking horse. ;>)
    Yes the rear hoop still drops in but I did add new tubes just outboard of the FF tubes to keep the cage closer to the top for more side headroom and I re-shaped it as shown in (some) of those pics where the main rear of the hoop was dropped back and down
    The front hoop drops into a receiver that is made with 2 -3/8" plates bolted together with 4- 3/8" bolts< not legal but the kips needed to shear that are HUGE. One plate is welded to the upright edge of the firewall which is a very stiff part of the chassis and it has about 20" of weld the way they make contact. The other overlaps that one and has a tab folded under and welded to the applied receiver tube. Think of a boomerang shape and you get the idea. Due to the door latch and leg room to swing in, the front hoop downlegs have to make up for the long cowl area. Follow the front window post drop through the dash then you have to go forward quite a bit. I have good pics of that portion in an album on the FF site , feel free to snatch them and embed here as I still haven't figured that out either. My forum name over there is Buck70
    DB
    Last edited by myjones; 02-25-2014 at 06:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    MT is my initials and my middle name is Edward, hence the handle. Reads as "Empty Head" which if you've seen my posts here you'll realize isn't the case. I'm plenty old enough to remember Mr. Ed. Even though I grew up in England, we got it over there.

I read your description and kind of got the idea, but here's your pictures for everyone's edification. Once I saw them I understood.

I see the difficulties of picking up in the cowl area. Looks like you came up with a neat solution which feeds forces into the chassis in event of the worst happening. I'm sure this whole structure must add torsional stiffness to the chassis which is never a bad thing in something with sporty handling aspirations.

When you've got images on another site, or if you want to "borrow" an image over to another site, right click on the image and click on Copy Image Location. Go to the site you wish the pic to appear and right click your mouse again. Click on Paste and the image URL will drop into your post. Now you need to add the coding...........

[img] or [IMG] in front of the image URL and then [/img] or [/IMG] after it. Use lower case OR capitals at either end, but not mixed.

I'm sure there are builders out there who just want to build a "kit" straight out of the box so to speak. However, looking at builder's posts here it's clear that an awful lot tweak and modify the basic design to be exactly what they want. Personally, I can't see why anyone would want a powder coated chassis from the factory when there's going to be welding going on.
    I have a dream concept I want to build if it becomes possible, but what it started out as in my head gets more and more complicated as I see little mods people have come up with on their builds that I would want to incorporate in mine. Some of you guys are so clever and innovative. I love fabrication and see it as a relatively unsung form of art.

Martin.
    Last edited by MT-ED; 02-25-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

details

Quote Originally Posted by MT-ED View Post
    I read your description and kind of got the idea, but here's your pictures Once I saw them I understood.

I see the difficulties of picking up in the cowl area. Looks like you came up with a neat solution which feeds forces into the chassis in event of the worst happening. I'm sure this whole structure must add torsional stiffness to the chassis which is never a bad thing in something with sporty handling aspirations.
    Martin.
    Thanks for dropping in the pics for everyone to see.
    My other goal was not to trap the body on the chassis. That's why the plate up front is two pieces, the welded on plate goes as far back as possible
    but still lets the body be lifted off the chassis. The receiver plate goes back just enough more to fall behind the widow post. Little things like the tab folded under the tube then welded add a lot of strength in the moment. I could also have folded a shear shelf on each plate to protect the bolts in shear but somewhere you have a diminishing return scenario. The inward angles on both hoops also made the drop out bars up top critical so the hoops would drop in the angled receivers. The shape of the 33 doors create a lot of challenges if you want to change anything on the car.
    I wish I could find the picture of a local open wheel racer that lost his mobility. He had a scaled down sprint car type wing added to his rascal scooter complete with sponsors and car number. That was where my funny thoughts for the 33 roadster with a wing came from.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Updated and downsized the pics in the gallery. Now there are a few good pics of the revised rear hoop with harness bar and all the taco gussets added.
    Dale
    Hemi33
    rc4rs.jpg
    Last edited by myjones; 02-12-2015 at 12:14 PM.