Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quiet down the original exhaust, the wife says it's too loud

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Quiet down the original exhaust, the wife says it's too loud

Has anyone done anything with the original side pipes from FFR to quiet them just a touch for the complaining wife? ( if momma ain't happy...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi John,

There are several options to quiet down the mufflers. I changed over to GAS-N (a forum vendor). The muffler is 2" longer and the opening is pointed towards the ground. Also, I added the j-pipes with integrated Catalytic Converters, which further quiets down the pipes.

There are a ton of options in this area, including retro-fitting your current pipes, and pre-made pipes (think quiet pipes from finish line or Breeze Automotive, for example).

Others will chime in, but you can assure your wife that there are answers out there.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ear plugs LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    ^like

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ III View Post
    Ear plugs LOL
    That's what we wear.....

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually had pain in my left ear after driving the car on the freeway for a bit just after I got it roadworthy. I did some mods while I finished it up and now it's to the point where the engine is quieter than the wind noise on the freeway at a constant 65 mph (unless I stick it in 3rd and stand on it!).

I added a crossover pipe, connecting the J-tubes just upstream of the oxygen sensors. It required a bit of welding and re-coating the ceramic on the J-tubes. This was probably the biggest help-- it probably didn't lower the decibels much, but the "attack" part of the sound wave seems a lot less steep. It took the sting out of the pulses. I also added auger-type inserts and have wound stainless steel scouring pads onto the augers. I've never had the car on a dyno, but I can't tell any difference in performance or throttle response.

Those are the cheap solutions, short of having the pipes rebuilt with quieter mufflers or going to the Gas-N pipes!
    Last edited by bwwooster; 03-30-2014 at 05:21 PM.
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    You can run SuperTrapp's (Summit has them) and dial in the noise level based on the number of plates you use. We used them in San Diego for Auto X because there is a 93 DB limit. It's not pretty but does work, and inexpensive. A little more low-end toruqe too. Good luck.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can run around with a really loud car that makes yours sound quieter. That's what I do and of course wear ear plugs when you are going into and out of the garage. LOL.

You would be surprised how much changing the angle of the side pipe exhaust tube about 30 degrees further down redirects the noise level for your car. We also insulated the quarter panel under the door and the door with foam insulation (I know it's an open car. It helps). All the sounds don't come from the same direction so isolating what you can will make an incremental difference but you have to experiment to know what is good for you. Also, check out Hammerick Motor Sports threads on this subject. They have made a very quiet roadster due to restrictive laws over there (Europe) for track use. I think they got down to around 89 db.

Good luck,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a thread on flexible exhaust inserts, I use these when I'm close or over the DB limit on the track. I have done noise level testing and dyno pulls with these and results were good. I can add or remove these in about 2 min.

WP_20130427_012.jpg WP_20130427_008.jpg
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 04-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    custom shooting ear plugs. Go to a gun show. they custom make them to fit your ears. Comfortable, light and very good. Don't castrate the cobra!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Crawford View Post
    Has anyone done anything with the original side pipes from FFR to quiet them just a touch for the complaining wife? ( if momma ain't happy...)
    Add my vote for Gas'N pipes. Put them on my Mk3 after first starts and go-karts with the FFR pipes. I found the FFR pipes not just to be loud but they have a hard metallic-like edge to them that just plain hurt my ears. And they don't get better with time. From a pure DB standpoint, I don't think the Gas'N's are that much quieter. But a much more mellow sound, plus with the exhaust tips down they're quite comfortable in the cockpit. They just plain sound good. We wear soft musician style earplugs when we cruise more to deal with traffic and wind noise. It's still possible to carry on a conversation, even when cruising at highway speed. This is a video of a cruise in my Mk3 from a couple years ago. (Back when it was warm enough to drive in March? Go figure...) This is with an external mic in the Go-Pro, so the sound is relatively accurate. There are couple of good throttle hits in the 3:00 - 4:00 minute range. Gives an idea what they sound like from inside the car. Very comfortable and zero complaints from my wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TVofKstKs
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did non-flexible auger inserts. JEGS Performance Products 30645 JEGS Exhaust Turndowns
    I had gotten the turndowns since a new set of FFR sidepipes helped but the exhaust was still too loud. So I cut the original turndowns off leaving the pipes as long as I could and installed the Jegs turndowns and angled the outlets downward. These helped a little bit. I have read and saved a bunch of stuff on other's exhaust mods and figured I would probably do the chambered pipes at some point. Then I came across these spiral inserts at Summit.
    Patriot Exhaust H3843 - Patriot Muffler Inserts - Overview - SummitRacing.com
    These are cheap compared to $60-90 each for either cones or CC inserts so ordered a pair.Found they are 3.5 inch OD and so are the pipes so needed to mod them a little so they would fit inside the pipes

I've had these in for about a year now. I have much smaller clamps painted black so they are not so obvious. Once I got the angle that I liked established, I drilled a hole through the two layers of pipe. Dropped a roofing nail in and use a large diameter hose clamp. Even though I have had to tack weld them to stop rattles I am VERY happy w/ this solution. I can guarantee your wife will like it too.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut out the factory mufflers, and welded in some Cobra mufflers from Classic Chambered Exhaust. Not only is the exhaust note quieter, it has a more mellow sound. The factory pipes are not only loud, but harsh and "blatty". Tough on the ears, IMO.

Also, when driving down the highway, your exhaust note is generally not that loud or painfull. But wind, mechanical, and tire noise can really beat you up. Especially performance tires on concrete. That's the big reason for the ear plugs.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Guys, my two cents...
    I was close to being run out of the neighborhood due to the car alarms I would set off when I drove down the street. My Mk3 Roadster has a 392c.i. with 4 into 4 headers, I had FFR stainless side pipes with 15k on them.

I had to change them or move... Ifound and have been very please with the sound and quality of theQuiet Side Pipe Kit, P/N: #70664 from Breeze Automotive. These pipes were developed by Bob Boig, former nationally competitive E-Production and GT-3 Miata racer, to address the need for racetrack and neighborhood friendly side-pipes. The outstanding feature is the baffled design with no packing to blow out. These side pipes will be as quiet after years of use as they are the day you installed them.

I have 26K on the car now and they sound as good as the day I installed them.

Criag

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay - this is total sarcasm...

You know the old saying: "if it's too loud, you're too old." Solution = younger wife.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Okay - this is total sarcasm...

You know the old saying: "if it's too loud, you're too old." Solution = younger wife.
    Now that sounds REALLY expensive!
    FFR Mk II 4437
    Finally on the road, 8/12! SVO Crate 302, IRS, EEC IV

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff at Whitby Motorcars has a baffle that you can install on the end of your sidepipes. It bolts in and would be easily removable if you were doing a track event and wanted the lost HP back.

I haven't heard it in person, but another member installed a set and said it made a noticeable difference. It looks a lot easier to install than some of the other solutions referenced here.

They're at the Charlotte AutoFair this week, so try calling them next week to get details.

I will get a set once I'm back on the road. I'm finishing up an engine swap (302 to 349) and switched from a j-pipe setup (with car chemistry inserts) to 4-into-4 headers with no baffles, so expect the car to be a lot louder. I'd leave the baffles in for street driving and take them out when I'm going to do an auto-cross event.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Classic View Post
    Hi Guys, my two cents...
    I was close to being run out of the neighborhood due to the car alarms I would set off when I drove down the street. My Mk3 Roadster has a 392c.i. with 4 into 4 headers, I had FFR stainless side pipes with 15k on them.

I had to change them or move... Ifound and have been very please with the sound and quality of theQuiet Side Pipe Kit, P/N: #70664 from Breeze Automotive. These pipes were developed by Bob Boig, former nationally competitive E-Production and GT-3 Miata racer, to address the need for racetrack and neighborhood friendly side-pipes. The outstanding feature is the baffled design with no packing to blow out. These side pipes will be as quiet after years of use as they are the day you installed them.

Criag
    Yes indeed. I've been saying this for years. They are absolutely the quietest pipes out there. No rattles, no packing, and they look the part. I added a longer turn-out that points 45deg to the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep them loud...That is one of the reasons you have the car

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a set of the flexible augers. They quiet the pipes down a little. But honestly, they sound terrible to me. My wife thought they sounded like a tractor. They also tend to rattle a bit at idle. I have not tried the stainless steel scouring pads. That would probably take care of the rattle and make them quieter. I may try them again with that added.

I have them in my autocross bag in case I fail a sound check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Crap I have ordered my kit with the stainless sidepipes and it sounds like they are going to be too loud! Might speak to Jeff and find out more about the baffles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I originally posted this in the Coyote section of the Forum but may be useful here as an alternate solution.

I recently sourced a set of stainless steel Mini high flow catalytic converters (Pypes performance exhaust) to be spliced into the stainless steel J-pipes between the headers and the SS side pipes.

I wanted to reduce emissions as well as reduce the DB's from the exhaust (at hwy speeds). Should be little impact on HP & performance (if any).

Note: I also had the tips on the side pipes rotated 60 degrees towards the ground.

This should do the trick - see attached

SS Strait pipe & SS Pypes Mini Catalytic converters_complete.jpgSS Strait pipe & SS Pypes Mini Catalytic converters_before installation.JPG

Updated

The weather is finally cooperating and I have been able to take the roadster for several long drives over the past few weeks. Some of the roads still have remnants of winter (locally sandy) so hooking up the coyote's full power to the road was not possible but a very fun drive. The exhaust note is much reduced and the driving experience is completely different from last year while in gel coat (before I modified exhaust) - now it is more civilized. The modified exhaust is much easier on the ears although still has that aggressive growl when pushed. Harshness of the exhaust is gone and no ear plugs needed!

I drove on the highway for approx 1/2 hr., in traffic moving at 80 mi per hour and absolutely no issues re excessive exhaust noise - No ear plugs needed and my head was not ringing / no headache after the drive. Where as before the exhaust modifications the pipes were so loud that it was not pleasant to drive for longer periods at hwy speeds and I would have a headache after driving.

Problem solved.

I know this is a more permanent solution than some may prefer but works very well for me
    Last edited by Jester; 04-16-2014 at 03:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

How did you finish your Quiet side pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Classic View Post
    Hi Guys, my two cents...

Criag
    I have been considering the Breeze Automotive Quiet Side Pipes. If I understand their site correctly, they return them to you in bare metal form. Did you have them chromed, ceramic coated, wrapped, or some other finish? How much did it cost to finish them? Thank you.

Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I have been considering the Breeze Automotive Quiet Side Pipes. If I understand their site correctly, they return them to you in bare metal form. Did you have them chromed, ceramic coated, wrapped, or some other finish? How much did it cost to finish them? Thank you.

Jazzman
    I used Rustoleum high temp BBQ paint @ $5/can on my Breeze pipes. If I were to coat them, I would use NitroPlate in Tennessee.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a long time Harley rider, I am something of a Chrome lover. After Breeze Automotive cuts and pastes the quiet pipes into your existing pipes, could they be chromed and look nice?

Jazzman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bwwooster View Post
    Now that sounds REALLY expensive!
    It is. Personal experience. 'nuff said.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    As a long time Harley rider, I am something of a Chrome lover. After Breeze Automotive cuts and pastes the quiet pipes into your existing pipes, could they be chromed and look nice?

Jazzman
    Ceramic coating is gaining popularity as it will not discolour like chrome will.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cycleguy55 View Post
    Ceramic coating is gaining popularity as it will not discolour like chrome will.
    The stainless ones, ironically, discolor pretty badly. The blue on the primaries looks good. But after that, they go gold, which I don't like. It doesn't exactly wipe off either. They look great when clean, though. If I were to do it again, I would think hard about ceramic coated.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is an intresting issue, I sent my FFR pipes to Breeze and they modified them and now they are a bit quiet, as i want to drive without bleeding my ears.

I put Vance and Hines pipes on my Victory motorcycle cause it was too quiet.

The ideal would be an exhaust cutoout on the pipes that I have now. Back in the day a cut out with a remote controlled valve was the perfect answer. If anyone had ideas on that I'd love to hear.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    custom shooting ear plugs. Go to a gun show. they custom make them to fit your ears. Comfortable, light and very good. Don't castrate the cobra!

LOL!

Post Thanks / Like

Breeze Quiet Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by John Crawford View Post
    I purchased the breeze quiet pipes retrofit. The pipes still sound good and I can have a conversation with my passenger and listen to music while driving. Not the cheapest solution but it worked great for my build. If the exhaust is too loud it will make driving the thing less pleasurable in my opinion.

Cheers.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a thread on the other forum that has some db numbers for the Flowmaster 13530320 Slimeline mufflers as well as dyno info. I put these on my ride and the seat of the pants couldn't tell the difference (and neither could the dyno) but the ears sure could.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread has me seriously reconsidering my plans of just running the Factory Five coyote headers straight into the FF sidepipes. I haven't been around guns, explosions and helicopters my whole life and somehow managed to maintain perfect hearing just to blow my ears out with my midlifecrisismobile.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hearing is highly over rated!
    Try the Dynatech Cone Inserts.
    The knock 3-6 DB off an open header.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Gas-N pipes and I don't find them that loud at all. Granted I am not racing and drive it fairly calmly but I was surprised it is not louder.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Breeze quiet pipes and I love them. I can be loud when I really get on it but enjoy the ride so much more when cruising. I ceramic coated mine. Compared to my stock Type 65 pipes they are a joy to own. JMO.

IMG_1137.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Loud is highly over rated. Although our cars will never be quiet, it's nice to quiet them some. I like to be able to hit the gas w/o every cop in the county hearing me.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bking View Post
    There is a thread on the other forum that has some db numbers for the Flowmaster 13530320 Slimeline mufflers as well as dyno info. I put these on my ride and the seat of the pants couldn't tell the difference (and neither could the dyno) but the ears sure could.
    I have the flowmasters and love them! Did a 2400 mile trip to Wareham and back for Open House this June and they really helped!Not to mention they're not as hot to the touch!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!