Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: who will be the first to try putting the sti 6 speed tran in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah ha. They lied. I thought it looked odd from the side view. Those ribs.

Post Thanks / Like
    The jdm 06-07 sti has the same torque split as the usdm one, so does the jdm v9 transmission work too?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icky View Post
    The jdm 06-07 sti has the same torque split as the usdm one, so does the jdm v9 transmission work too?
    Torque split does not matter as long as it's a DCCD center diff.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought people were having trouble converting the earlier 04-05 even if it had dccd?

Post Thanks / Like
    New to the forums and the 818, really interested in doing an STi and 6mt drive train instead of the WRX, could one of you fine 818 Veterans, provide me a list of what I'm up against for challenges. If I have all the parts from an STi what parts will absolutely not work (or need major fabrication) after buying the 2WD conversion kit from FFR. I see so much back and forth on this in the fourms and was hoping someone could put it in a "prettied up" list of what I'll need to buy/do to make it work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Axles provided by FFR won't work. Standard brake offering supplied by FFR won't work. They may have a kit now. I don't know.
    You have to cut out a spot in the 1" square tubing for the tranny oil pan.
    The snout is supposedly too long, even after you cut off the end, but I can't say definitively yet whether it has to poke out the back.
    That's all I can think of at the moment. I'll amend this if I come up with more before someone else does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by icky View Post
    I thought people were having trouble converting the earlier 04-05 even if it had dccd?
    Correct only the 06-07 6 speed with DCCD works with ff5's conversion kit. Also from what I understand the axles will work with a 5 speed or 6 speed as long as the hubs are for the wrx. Is that a correct statement? If not I'll know soon enough. Motor and trans come Back this week
    Nolan
    65 coupe Gen 3 "Phoenix" build
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...032#post297032

818 s (with r windscreen ) 350 rwhp. Registered and street legal (SOLD)

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to have a stronger setup with the six-speed. I suspect the FFR axles will be the weak link if you have big power and a good clutch. Especially if you drag or Auto-X it. I would not skimp on axles. I would like to see an upgrading to STi or better axles unless it's just a cruising car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nkw8181 View Post
    Correct only the 06-07 6 speed with DCCD works with ff5's conversion kit. Also from what I understand the axles will work with a 5 speed or 6 speed as long as the hubs are for the wrx. Is that a correct statement? If not I'll know soon enough. Motor and trans come Back this week
    Can you provide the model#/part# of the tranny that will fit?

And Scargo where is a good place to source the correct axles? and does anyone have the specs on them if they need to be custom made. I won't be drag racing it often, but hard light to light rips will be seen occasionally as this will be my daily if it comes out pristine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't mean to be rude but the info is pretty easy to find here. I think everyone uses The Drive Shaft Shop. You should find it if you search my posts and others.
    There are lots that will "fit". In my opinion you want something like a TY856WB7JA, TY856WB7KA or TY856WB8KS with the helical LSD. Theses have the internal pump so you can run an external oil cooler if you wish.
    Wayne Presley is a great source. Knows more than me. Trust him to supply parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe every 6 speed that came before 2008 has the internal pump which can be connected to a cooler. Subaru switched to splash lubrication in '08.

My V9 Spec C type RA transmission in my saabaru came with the external cooler and the appropriate hard lines. I have it connected up. The 2004 Forester STI transmission that I just picked up has the external hard pipe, but it's easy to install a cooler.

Without trimming anything the STI transmission sticks out of the bumper around 2-3".

Post Thanks / Like
    Also from what I understand the axles will work with a 5 speed or 6 speed as long as the hubs are for the wrx. Is that a correct statement? If not I'll know soon enough.
    WRX hubs will not work with the 6 speed. You will need STI hubs or custom axles.

5 Speed trans and wrx hubs work with 24 spline axles
    6 Speed trans and sti hubs work with 27 spline axles (larger diameter)

I have a spare set of sti rear spindles, PM me if you'd like them.

Post Thanks / Like
    The easiest solution is the reuse the STi axles like i did but it will result in an overall 3/4" track width in the rear. I kept all of the STI running gear.

Once the snout is cut off of the rear of the transmission, it fits with no issue. Freeze plug can be installed to cover output shaft hole.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    The inner CV spline where the joint fits into the transmission is identical on the six speeds and the later (female) five speeds. The combination we equip the kit for using the six speed is still to use the standard WRX spindle and hub, the standard WRX CV joints, and our axles. The kit also comes with press in plugs that allow the tailshaft of the transmission to be cut down to fit inside the rear bumper. We also space the rear of the transmission up instead of cutting the mount, just makes mounting the diffuser easier if you are using one.

Also From what I have seen the 2006 and earlier 6 speeds had the internal pumps but the 2007 and later do not (the gearing also changed in 07). The 2008-2014 6 speeds will also work with our conversion but do not have the sending unit for the speedo so better for a track car than a street car.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Schenck View Post
    The inner CV spline where the joint fits into the transmission is identical on the six speeds and the later (female) five speeds. The combination we equip the kit for using the six speed is still to use the standard WRX spindle and hub, the standard WRX CV joints, and our axles. The kit also comes with press in plugs that allow the tailshaft of the transmission to be cut down to fit inside the rear bumper. We also space the rear of the transmission up instead of cutting the mount, just makes mounting the diffuser easier if you are using one.

Also From what I have seen the 2006 and earlier 6 speeds had the internal pumps but the 2007 and later do not (the gearing also changed in 07). The 2008-2014 6 speeds will also work with our conversion but do not have the sending unit for the speedo so better for a track car than a street car.
    Just need two abs sensors and this: http://mapdccd.com/vss.html. for speed signal.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using a 2005 STI donor. I have not yet test-fit the body with the transmission, but I completed the conversion for installation in the car, and modified the frame (not extremely difficult) to avoid having to space the transmission up. The big obstacle you run into with the 2005 transmissions (this may apply to other model years, but I don't know for certain) is that the adapter that FFR supplies in their 6-speed conversion kit does not work with the DCCD in the 2005 6MT. The only way to make it work is to replace the entire DCCD with an adapter made by a company in New Zealand called Possum Bourne Motorsports. The adapter costs around $1000 (not a typo), but it's well-made and is specifically designed for this purpose. The good news with this route is that the DCCD module itself is a 4-figure item from Subaru, so you may be able to recoupe your cost for the adapter (I haven't sold mine yet, but intend to.). There's two on ebay right now, one for $1100 and one for $1600. No idea if they'll actually sell for that much.

Anyway, if you can foot the bill for the adapter, the 2005 is very easy to convert. Do some searches here, there are some very helpful posts with pictures, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, can you provide more details on spacing the transmission up? Pictures would be awesome. I'm close to cutting up the frame. Is the additional .3" or so of the 5mt mount enough?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    You are going to have a stronger setup with the six-speed. I suspect the FFR axles will be the weak link if you have big power and a good clutch. Especially if you drag or Auto-X it. I would not skimp on axles. I would like to see an upgrading to STi or better axles unless it's just a cruising car.
    I will most likely upgrade them later but for now I want to DRIVE!! when I do I want to take wrx hubs and respline them larger. Possibly to accept the sti splines so if I want to upgrade to sti hubs later I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Soon2B818 View Post
    Can you provide the model#/part# of the tranny that will fit?

And Scargo where is a good place to source the correct axles? and does anyone have the specs on them if they need to be custom made. I won't be drag racing it often, but hard light to light rips will be seen occasionally as this will be my daily if it comes out pristine.
    here is a link to the full list and here is it broken down to what works.

http://rallispec.com/downloads/Trans...art_Public.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like

I am interested to know/ see pics of the trans being spaced up as well. does it raise the turbo? I fear I will get close the the crossmember if I need to raise the trans. Does the engine need spacing up as well?
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    I am interested to know/ see pics of the trans being spaced up as well. does it raise the turbo? I fear I will get close the the crossmember if I need to raise the trans. Does the engine need spacing up as well?
    There is a photo as part of the 6speed kit installation manual that shows the spacers. I dont remember any mention of the engine being raised up and honestly dont see a need for it to be. I went the route of modifying the frame. The oil pan on the tranny does not hang below the frame modification with the stock transmission mount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple extra pics that i didnt post earlier.

Final Shifter Linkage with Reverse Lockout Cable

Post Thanks / Like
    BLUF: If you go to Auto Zone to get replacement front axles, be sure to get the "Reman" ones, not the "Gold" ones. The Gold ones will probably swap right into an STI, but the guts of the CVs are different than OEM and you will not be able to swap them around for our application.

One tidbit about axles. I finally got a collection of axles and CVs that will work with my 2005 STI 6-speed. I ordered shortened axle shafts (20.8" long, about 3/4" shorter than the STI front axle shafts from a 2005) from the Driveshaft Shop, one end 32 spline for the outer CV, and 30 spline for the inner CV.

My donor's front inner CVs had a significant groove at the transmission seal and I'm pretty sure they would leak, so I ended up buying new CV axles from Auto Zone, the Duralast Golds, at $70 per side, just for the inner CVs. However, once I disassembled one of them, I found they had the 3-bearing design like the base WRX instead of the 6-ball bearing that the STI inner CVs have, plus the splines were different (fewer than 30, I did not count). Returning to Auto Zone, they also offer a "Remanufactured" axle in addition to the "Gold". On a hunch, I tried one of the "Reman" axles, and it had the 6-ball bearing and same spline count as the OEM axles. The "Reman" axle shafts are much thicker and I think it's an overall much stronger axle, since it's a copy of the OEM spec, than the "Gold"s for the same price (after core).

So that was a lot of time and expense.

Fryguy reports that 2004 STI rear axles are the correct length. If I had it to do over, I would just get those from Auto Zone, and not bother with the expensive DSS axle shafts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that is good info and what a PIA to get to where you want to be.
    I do have custom (longer) axles from DSS and got their HD CV joints. My track is 62". I was able to do this because of the longer, lower links I'm using.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought the break point wasn't the axle itself but the resess in the spline that goes in the wheel hub. If this isn't the case can I just buy front and rear sti shafts and it will fit my 06 wrx hubs and sti tranny it do I still need to have the hub splines enlarged?
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I think if an axle breaks, it's usually where the splines end. However, in this car, unless you are running big horsepower with slicks, I don't see you breaking STI axles. The OEM ones are very large, especially the fronts, for some reason, but it's a moot point for STI axles because of the length (except for the apparently shorter '04 rear axles).

The base WRX rear hubs are different than the STI, but I dont' know for sure if the outer CVs of an STI axle would fit into the base WRX rear hubs. They might. If not, I can't help you on what you need to do for the outer CVs.

Assuming you have your donor's rear axles, I would tear down the outer CVs, then go to Fryguy's build thread to see if the spline count on the outer 2004 STI rear axle shafts mates to your base WRX outer CV. If so, yes, you can buy 2004 STI front and rear axles to get everything you need. Otherwise, just get whatever STI front axles that fit your transmission and order custom shafts from the Driveshaft Shop.

Another alternative is to convert to STI hubs all around. If you're building an R, this is probably a good move since the STI hubs get you much larger bearings.

Whatever you do, make sure you are careful disassembling any axles so you can put them back together and don't lose any parts until you know for sure you have the combination you need.

I just installed my completed axles tonight. Looks like the length is spot on. There's about an inch of in/out travel available to the inner CVs. Doesn't look like any risk of binding due to suspension adjustments. I still wonder if the front STI axles will fit without necessitating a track width increase. I think they might, but you could have very little inward travel available.
    Last edited by Zach34; 02-12-2016 at 01:06 AM.

26. Likes Scargo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zack, I thought the point of failure was the spline going into the wrx hub. If this is the case then I wanted to have a wrx rear hub bored out and resplined to the larger sti. If the 04 sti axles are the right lenght then I only need to have the hubs machined.this also allows me to use these axles if I ever switch to sti hubs. Just my thoughts.
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Nolan, if you're interested, I have a spare set of 04 sti rear spindles. I got them as a set when I bought my brembo calipers but didn't know they wouldn't work with the wrx axles. I painted them and rebuilt with brand new bearings/seals & redline synthetic cv2 grease (new e-brake shoes as well). They should bolt directly to some sti axles and your 6 speed. I removed the tone rings because I'm not running ABS but I still have them.
    IMAG0726.jpg
    IMAG0724.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Will my calipers work with it?
    Nolan

Post Thanks / Like
    Will my calipers work with it?
    Probably not but I'm not positive. They are meant for brembo rear calipers. I also have a set of new oem style rear sti rotors (from rock auto).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scargo View Post
    No concerns about too much negative rear camber from making room for that extra 1/2"? I guess you can always fab new upper mounts...
    But, wider stance! Then flare the rear flares... oh the slippery slope!
    I cant see where camber was affected?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234