FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: 33 Machine electric 818e build- Sold! Headed to China!

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Crash Test Dummy
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Crash Test Dummy
    You have one in your shop? That requires an explanation!

Post Thanks / Like
    Found the problemo

Loose main shaft nut.

It jacked the case pretty bad and I'm having a hard time finding just those replacement parts so probably a new tranny.

Post Thanks / Like
    Erik,
    That's ugly.
    Did you even have that nut loose during transmission modification?
    With the electric drive you get buy without 5th and Reverse.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Nope. Someone didn't do a good job on the last rebuild I guess. Or the torque lossened it. Not sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Erik,My 5th has been popping out for the last couple tanks. My hunch was a lose main shaft nut but I didn't realize I would lose my entire transmission from it.
    Was 5th popping out prior to you losing reverse? If you had found it sooner could you have saved this transmission by re-tightening the nut?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's all fixable but I've got a bead on one for cheap and I haven't been able to locate the parts and I found some good size chunks of metal (you can see one of them inside the nut there. And yes it would it would not stay in 5th before but at least it went in reverse. I took it to cars and coffee (only to find out it was closed due to the concourse weekend in Monterey) and coming back I chirped it into 2nd and I think that sealed the deal for me. You can see where the shaft retainer partially broke on the case as well.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 08-25-2014 at 11:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well the tranny is back in and the car works great. Took it to cars and coffee where it had quite an audience. Most were just wondering what kind of car it was until they got closer and then realized it was electric. I spent the entire 3 hours answering questions. I eventually had to walk away! . Got the stereo working and let me just say that if you put them in the lower quarters by the kick steps, cut your holes before installing the sheet metal. It's a tough angle. Yesterday I installed a plexiglass panel to show off the motor. Still not totally sold on it but what's done is done; and I won't have to take off the hatch as much. We put a lot of time into it so I don't mind showing it off a bit.

Last edited by ehansen007; 09-04-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Well the tranny is back in and the car works great. Took it to cars and coffee where it had quite an audience
    Awesome, can't wait to take mine to the local one in Carlsbad when it's on the road.

Got the stereo working and let me just say that if you put them in the lower quarters by the kick steps, cut your holes before installing the sheet metal. It's a tough angle.
    Can you share a pic? That's where I was think of putting woofers (tweeters will be in the dash), but I've already riveted the kick panels.

Yesterday I installed a plexiglass panel to show off the motor. Still not totally sold on it but what's done is done; and I won't have to take off the hatch as much. We put a lot of time into it so I don't mind showing it off a bit.
    I like it! You could add a PDLC smart glass film, so you can switch between white and clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    What's that NRG piece? Looks like a torque damper.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    What's that NRG piece? Looks like a torque damper.
    Yup, it's a torque damper. Ironically, this isn't where I need the dampening and it could make it too stiff. I think I need it more between the tranny and the motor at the adapter plate. When the the clutch gets let out, the forward momentum of the transmission wants to move the front of the tranny downward and I don't have a motor mount there like you guys do. I'll have to fab up a bumper or rubber mount like the rear of the tranny has.

Lee, my speakers are simply in the small trapezoidal area just like where Erik put his. They work okay and it's a good spot for them. It's a good spot for woofers and it's smart to put the tweeters up high. Mine are coax but have tweeters that can be pivoted upwards towards the drive which works well. They are polk audio. Don't have any pics right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, it's a torque damper. Ironically, this isn't where I need the dampening and it could make it too stiff. I think I need it more between the tranny and the motor at the adapter plate. When the the clutch gets let out, the forward momentum of the transmission wants to move the front of the tranny downward and I don't have a motor mount there like you guys do. I'll have to fab up a bumper or rubber mount like the rear of the tranny has.
    Erik,
    Is your motor adaptor plate flexing when you dump the clutch or the car hits a bump?
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Shouldn't be as it's two plates of aluminum but I think I should put a camera on it to see where it might need supporting. It's a lot of torque from zero RPM...

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks nice! Any idea yet on average range?

Post Thanks / Like

Horn Dog

So the last few weeks I've been working on getting the car street legal via the SB100 Process. The DMV is just the equalizer of all people in some weird way so it's been a pleasure standing in line even with an appointment lately as my local DMV has been closed for remodeling for almost 8 months now. Oh well. CHP and Brake and Lamp went well enough and it helps to know the process. Brandon got the wrong brake and lamp person (who told him he needed turn signal cancellers!) and so I'm sending him to my guy who doesn't care as long as the essentials work. And, I almost got the wrong CHP guy who wanted wipers and everything else that comes on a new car. Brandon sent me to his guy at another office and he mentioned wipers but said just be aware that you may get a fixit ticket but still passed me and gave me a VIN plate.

Anywho, I got the horn working relatively easily by just using a strip of brass that is bent and keeps contact with the ring on the NRG adapter. Works perfectly! I used a BadBoy horn which has a nice euro tone to it.

Now it's all about body work as I'm considering doing a wrap for the SEMA show. Wish me luck!

Also, some basic observations on driving the car now that I've got about 300 miles on it.

The car is so fun to drive. Handles like a cat and doesn't even feel corners. Range around my town is 50 miles since I have so many hills and I can't keep my foot out of it! It would be 70 easy if I lived in a flat town and drove it conservatively.

The mid section of the car is pretty low. I've had to raise the car as far as I can with the adjuster wrench (while holding the spring collar on the shock which can be tough when it gets tight) and put as much preload to keep it from bottoming out when I put it on the trailer or even take corners with passengers inside the car. The nose is just high enough to get on a trailer but looks kind of strange like it's much higher than the front of the car. The splitter helps with this but then you can't get the jack under the middle of the car to work on it. There is really only one spot to jack the car with even a low profile jack and that's the narrowest section of the body just behind the seat at the frame corner in the back. It would be nice if they could somehow raise the belt line of the car while lowering the fender line so you could still get a nice gap from tire to fender. It would be a lot of work but the middle of the car is just too low. The red show car height looks cool but really doesn't translate to the street as you'd most likely high side on any speed bump. I'd like to put the carbon side skirts on too but don't think I have the clearance. Maybe just for SEMA.

Also, the bump steer kit is a must. I've had the car at three different ride heights and it's pretty bad.

Getting in and out of the car is a challenge and really can't be done gracefully by those over 6ft. It's basically a tricep extension move to push yourself up and out of the car if you have a bucket seat.

Both my floors in the car are oil canned. This pisses me off. Do I really need to cut this out? How have you guys fixed this? I really don't want to have to weld anything but have considered cutting a slit down the middle and stitch welding to shrink it up. Not sure if it would work or not. Happy to hear other suggestions. That bong! you get each time you get in or out of the car is just ridiculous!

The windshield is pretty flimsy. They might want to make that a metal frame all the way around so people can use it to help get out of the car. Sure would help!

Also, those LED light strips I ordered from Ali Baba are not bright enough and can't be seen during the day. Considering another alternative.

That's all for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Erik, looks good and thanks for posting ll you impressions. Do you have any braking regen? Also, just curious why you need SB100 since that's for SMOG exemption. Since you're a ZEV I wouldn't think you need a SPCNS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wish me luck!
    Good luck!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Hey Erik, looks good and thanks for posting ll you impressions. Do you have any braking regen? Also, just curious why you need SB100 since that's for SMOG exemption. Since you're a ZEV I wouldn't think you need a SPCNS.
    Yes, we do have regen setup for coasting however what I've noticed is that the car is so light that energy recovery is almost moot at 20% regen when going down large hills. It slows the car down more than it can for keeping up speed. What we're planning on doing is putting a switch in the brake line that will give feedback to the controller that will turn up regen based on braking pressure and work only when you're on the brakes. As well we are going put in a switch to turn regen on and off to test and see what the sweetspot is. We're also going to put in a clutch switch that will maintain motor RPM for a perfect shift ala rev matching. So that should be cool. As for the SB100 it's not JUST for California smog exemption. CARB is only part of it. Because this is a kit and has no actual VIN tag it also has to go to CHP and do brake and lamp inspection to get it registered. This is all part of the SB100.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Good luck setting up the adjustable regen, and getting ready for SEMA. Good to hear about the inspection, I was dreading dealing with the checklist that Brandon got! When the time comes, I may need your inspection contacts, if the local SD ones are sticklers.

From my online research (no personal experience, and could be wrong) I understood that it's possible to register a specialty constructed (i.e home-made or kit car) without SB100/SPCNS; that just gives you the desirable CARB exemption (although the other hoops still have to be jumped through). Since you have no emissions, avoiding it might make for less paperwork, but if you you already have your SPCNS, then it's probably easier to go that route, since everyone at the DMV is used to that process. It should make for a quick visit to the referee, though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We're also going to put in a clutch switch that will maintain motor RPM for a perfect shift ala rev matching. So that should be cool.
    Erik, are you going to try to implement a blip-shift feature for downshifts like the manual 370Z and Stingray have, or just hold engine RPM until the clutch is let out? Those cars have accelerometers in the shift lever or linkage so the ECU knows what gear the tranny is going into. I expect you might skip shift quite a bit with the electric motor, so in order to properly rev match, you'll need to know which gear will be engaged to raise/lower RPM accordingly. Cool stuff... I'd love to see that working!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw the finished car. Wow it looks great. Nice job and super deal on the volts. LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik,
    Be aware that you have a lot more inertia in your electric motor than the EJ has.
    So rev matching is a good thing.
    Shifting unmatched will put a big spike through the trans if you are using a big clutch.
    Can you keep the clutch at OEM?
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume that California requires all kit cars ("Specially Constructed Vehicle") to go through the same procedures for safety, frame and parts history, etc. My understanding is that SB100 allows you to elect to have the emissions year set to the year the car is built, the year of the engine, or 1960. Obviously, selecting 1960 gets the most favorable emissions treatment.

In other words, I'd expect that you have to jump through all the same hoops even when you are not participating in the SB100 program. SB100 just gives you options related to emissions.

I'm so glad Erik (and others) will be able to improve the odds of success for us So Cal residents when our time comes. Knowing WHO to talk to can be such a huge help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    I assume that California requires all kit cars ("Specially Constructed Vehicle") to go through the same procedures for safety, frame and parts history, etc. My understanding is that SB100 allows you to elect to have the emissions year set to the year the car is built, the year of the engine, or 1960. Obviously, selecting 1960 gets the most favorable emissions treatment.
    Technically, SB100 allows you to chose emissions classification by body style or motor; if the chosen style doesn't resemble a production vehicle, 1960 is assigned by default. Without SB100, you have to meet current year standards (impossible). For an 818, chose body, so you get 1960 (Roadster builders get 1965); if you choose motor, you'll get the year of your donor motor (2002-2007) and have to maintain all the smog equipment and be subject to biannual inspections. In Erik's case, it's all academic since his emissions are zero!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    I'm so glad Erik (and others) will be able to improve the odds of success for us So Cal residents when our time comes. Knowing WHO to talk to can be such a huge help.
    Absolutely!

Post Thanks / Like
    A major victory occurred today when I beat the oil canning that was happening on both sides. I basically bought a new torch and went to work heating and cooling the surrounding area to shrink the metal. It worked great.

Last edited by ehansen007; 09-30-2014 at 10:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put up a facebook page to show progress to the non-FFR folks.

https://www.facebook.com/818SEMA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Eric, by oil canning are you referring to that nasty pop from the floors sheet metal every time I step in and out of my car? I have been putting 90lb of weight on it for weeks with no luck.
    So i just need to torch it? Nice tip.

Dude, congrats on being the first legit street legal 818 in CA.
    I am so close. REFS took all sorts of pictures and Sacramento is reviewing the details. I'm waiting for a call any day with the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    That pop is very annoying. Nothing says cheap like each time you get in a noise that goes "bup-POP!"
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brando View Post
    Eric, by oil canning are you referring to that nasty pop from the floors sheet metal every time I step in and out of my car? I have been putting 90lb of weight on it for weeks with no luck.
    So i just need to torch it? Nice tip.

Dude, congrats on being the first legit street legal 818 in CA.
    I am so close. REFS took all sorts of pictures and Sacramento is reviewing the details. I'm waiting for a call any day with the results.

Your going SB100 right, why do they need to go to Sacramento to review anything? Aren't they going to let you register by body style? I thought it would be pretty straight forward. Hope they don't jack you around, best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't want to Hijack Erics thread, but will briefly say...the guy scanned all my documents, took a bunch of pictures, and told me it's not up to him, its up to Sacramento. He told me because they have not had an 818 go through their system yet, it goes to Sacramento for review. He also noted it being an R might make things more difficult. It will take 1-3 weeks he said. The guy was not cool and had no interest in make life easy for me. Yes I am going by body style SB100, but before I can even get that far it has to pass go.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why San Clemente is the place to go. But even more so, you need to find someone who has done it and is familiar with it. But, they have done a bunch of SB100s. Overall, I think it's easier to do it this way because there are fewer guidelines under the SB100 umbrella. My theory is that if you want to register it as a new car, they will be looking for all the items and safety that come with a new car. If you register as Special Construction, the laws are already set for kit cars and they are typically thought of being driven only so many miles per year, and the safety thing is not as stringent. Again, a theory. The last time I did this they had to send my documents to Sacramento for review, this time I got plates at the DMV. I was shockingly surprised. Again, it varies by person so it helps to ask if they have an SB100 specialist to help you. It's worth the wait. But be sure to get an appointment!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, back on track. Lots of work on the interior. I should have ordered the carpet kit. I probably used $100 in carpet but two days of cutting and gluing and it's back breaking work. Lots of bars means lots of cutting. Orginally, I had the top of the firewall in leather but it looked out of place as the only piece covered with leather. Now it's onto the dash and door panels. Spent many days thinking about what I'm going to do here and I'm still not settled!

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, I was lucky enough to be approached John aka "Sticky" of Sticky Fingers Design (check out his insane work at http://www.stickyfingersdesign.com/)at the Huntington Beach show that wanted to help with a wrap for the car. So, I've partnered with him to do the work and also I've partnered with 3M Graphic solutions to provide the wrap as well! http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ns/Series1080/

Mazda_Furai_Concept_2008_2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is why San Clemente is the place to go. But even more so, you need to find someone who has done it and is familiar with it. But, they have done a bunch of SB100s. Overall, I think it's easier to do it this way because there are fewer guidelines under the SB100 umbrella. My theory is that if you want to register it as a new car, they will be looking for all the items and safety that come with a new car. If you register as Special Construction, the laws are already set for kit cars and they are typically thought of being driven only so many miles per year, and the safety thing is not as stringent. Again, a theory. The last time I did this they had to send my documents to Sacramento for review, this time I got plates at the DMV. I was shockingly surprised. Again, it varies by person so it helps to ask if they have an SB100 specialist to help you. It's worth the wait. But be sure to get an appointment!!!
    Congrats on the tags, Erik! First 818 plated in CA?

San Clemente's only 30 min north of me, so I'll probably make the drive up through Pendalton when it's my turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Isn't the San Clemente office still closed for construction?

Did you tell them yours was electric? There is a field on their system that must say exempt, how did you get past that part?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Lee!

San Clemente opened on October 10th.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Erik, tick tock, SEMA is just around the corner
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Dude, no kidding. It's all I can think about lately. Driving me nuts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, was that a Marathon! Getting the car ready for SEMA was as much work as I anticipated however much more stressful due to having it wrapped. I literally finished the car on Halloween Friday but had to pick up the mirrors from Sticky's on at 4 then race back home, load the car and take the kids out trick or treating right away. Then I was up at 4am the next morning to drive it to Vegas. You guys that have the FFR truck pick it up have it easy!

A huge thanks to Michael Bream and Matt Hauber (EV WEST) John Tongish, Glen Zwicker, Brandon Showalter, John Boley, Sticky (John), 3M, Tony Zullo, Dan Galoub, Dave Smith, and Sally Bean for helping me throughout this project. It's been amazing

Here are a few pics. I'm trying to figure out how to write about the last year or maybe even three years as part of a short story about Factory Five and this whole experience culminating with SEMA but I'll have to get back to that later. I'm trying to get back to life as normal after an exhausting journey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the extra pix, Erik; looks great. When I first saw it, I thought "didn't Erik say he was going to wrap it?" Then I noticed the satin/pearl effect... very nice.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast