Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on engine mounts

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for advice on engine mounts

My race motor showed up in its crate today.

I'm debating on the Group N rubber mounts and trans mount, or should I go for the full Cusco engine mounts? I have never been a fan of solid mounts on our Porsche race motors because of harmonics. What is the thought out there with these motors? I'm leaning towards the Group N, but want to see if there are better examples out there for my 818R.
    Last edited by C.Plavan; 09-30-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no answer sorry Porsche guy, but what about polyurethane bushings? That's what I run for the motor (very hard rubber on the tranny) and it's just awesome! And my motor, on my VW VR6, is front mounted and FWD, so vibrations would be much of an issue on the steering but it's just amazing.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can get the Cusco mounts for $312 for the motor mounts and trans mount.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, poly engine mount/inserts don't really apply to subarus, have them in my teg, but nothing like that is available for the suby. I would go with the group n engine and trans mount personally, they are plenty stiff IMO.
    Last edited by StatGSR; 10-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wayne- I may be sending you another Paypal payment here soon. I just need to decide.
    Side note: The shifter is awesome- I may need some ideas on how you installed yours later.
    Thanks- Chad

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Thanks Wayne- I may be sending you another Paypal payment here soon. I just need to decide.
    Side note: The shifter is awesome- I may need some ideas on how you installed yours later.
    Ok, the distributor has 18 in stock right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Cusco knockoff engine mounts. Had them in the subie before the 818. Really limited engine movement. Some nvh increase but not terrible.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
    Frank, poly engine mount/inserts don't really apply to subarus, have them in my teg, but nothing like that is available for the suby.
    Design reasons that polyU don't apply?
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank, poly engine mount/inserts don't really apply to subarus, have them in my teg, but nothing like that is available for the suby. I would go with the group n engine and trans mount personally, they are plenty stiff IMO.
    I would go with Cusco mounts over Group N. If you have ever had the hood up on a suby and stepped on the gas enough to activate launch control you would see the motor literally moving 3 inches. The Group N mounts are a harder rubber but they are still the same poor design that allows excessive moment.
    1997 RSVX Impreza Awesomeness!
    1999 RHD 22B RSTI
    2002 WRX
    2005 Saabaru
    2008 STI
    2013 FFR 818 #30

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't even need to hit launch control to watch it rock back and forth like a baby swing!
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the group N mounts and it has very decent engine control. I al also hesitant to run solid mounts.

I used 3m window adhesive to fill in the top area to limit movement even further.

sti_d1010fe110_2_lg.jpg
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    Design reasons that polyU don't apply?
    I guess when i hear "poly mounts" I typically think of Energy Suspension and or Prothane poly insert options (i use both in all 5 of the mounts for my integra) and yes, for design reasons these inserts do not exist for subarus. Perrin does offer an engine mount that is made with a poly material though, as expected they cost a small fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by fateo66 View Post
    I would go with Cusco mounts over Group N. If you have ever had the hood up on a suby and stepped on the gas enough to activate launch control you would see the motor literally moving 3 inches. The Group N mounts are a harder rubber but they are still the same poor design that allows excessive moment.
    the cuscos just look like reworked rubber suspension bushings turned into motor mounts with a couple plates, doesn't really provide much confidence to me. The Group Ns have been used by many without issue, (many more units sold and installed than any other aftermarket option). I know the engine flops around with the stock mounts, but i have also held both an old factory one and the group n's in my hands and i can tell you that the group n doesn't even feel like it is made out of rubber, it is that stiff when you touch it, and i also know that the NVH isn't over the top with them. To top it off, the whole set with the two engine mounts and the tranny mount is the cheapest option at ~$230. only option that is cheaper is the megan racing ones that are a knock off of the group ns.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess when i hear "poly mounts" I typically think of Energy Suspension and or Prothane poly insert options (i use both in all 5 of the mounts for my integra) and yes, for design reasons these inserts do not exist for subarus. Perrin does offer an engine mount that is made with a poly material though, as expected they cost a small fortune.

the cuscos just look like reworked rubber suspension bushings turned into motor mounts with a couple plates, doesn't really provide much confidence to me. The Group Ns have been used by many without issue, (many more units sold and installed than any other aftermarket option). I know the engine flops around with the stock mounts, but i have also held both an old factory one and the group n's in my hands and i can tell you that the group n doesn't even feel like it is made out of rubber, it is that stiff when you touch it, and i also know that the NVH isn't over the top with them. To top it off, the whole set with the two engine mounts and the tranny mount is the cheapest option at ~$230. only option that is cheaper is the megan racing ones that are a knock off of the group ns.

Yes Cusco mounts have rubber in them (who knows perhaps its the same rubber as the group N mount) but its how they incorporate it that sells me.

To each their own, I'll agree to disagree on this one.
    1997 RSVX Impreza Awesomeness!
    1999 RHD 22B RSTI
    2002 WRX
    2005 Saabaru
    2008 STI
    2013 FFR 818 #30

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planning on using some Subaru mounts ( same as Group-N I believe ) , part numbers STI D1010FE120 and STI D1010FE110 for the engine and STI D1010FE020 for the transmission. I saw somethere that the engine mounts use Subaru 902380007 nuts. I don't anticipate needing new nuts, but good info to have just in case.

I was also looking into a transmission crossmember bushing kit ( Subaru STI B4100FG000 or Kartboy KAR KB-025 ) , but wasn't even sure if this is applicable on the 818. If anybody has any insight on this, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    The transmission cross member bushing goes between the two transmission support braces. Scoobymods install

It looks like the transmission mounts directly to the chassis and will not need an additional bushing.
    TransMountPoint.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    <didn't realize how old this discussion was, oops. I'll leave this info here for future reference though>

I will be using torque solutions engine mounts on my S:
    http://www.torquesolution.com/Subaru.../ts-su-200.htm

Picked them up used -owner said they were pretty harsh, but I don't have hands on experience with them yet (sorry). They're definitely going to be stiffer than group N, probably harsher than Cusco also.
    Last edited by mikeb75; 04-26-2014 at 06:53 AM. Reason: old thread, oops

Post Thanks / Like
    They're definitely going to be stiffer than group N, probably harsher than Cusco also.
    I'm seeing the Group-N engine mounts listed as having a durometer rating of 88A compared the Torque Solutions mounts at 75A. Everything is taken with a grain of salt, but I think the Group-N bushings will be stiffer.
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2233376

Post Thanks / Like
    I am using the torquesolutions mounts on my 818s. As far as I can tell they are stiffer than group N. with the car running and moving around it vibrates less than my 06 mustang with poly engine mounts if that means anything to you. I even overtorqued and broke a stud on one of the mounts and torquesolutions replaced it for free.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using stock mounts, don't see a need for anything else for road racing. I have been using the stock mounts in my Challenge car w/o any issues and it gets the tar beat out of it.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Just buy MSI solid mounts and be done. LOL. Jk

I like the gr.N mounts and have used them on many cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe there is a lot less bushing in the torque solution design, so even if the bushing is less hard there is less material to flex.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeb75 View Post
    I believe there is a lot less bushing in the torque solution design, so even if the bushing is less hard there is less material to flex.
    Good point. It's probably the different design that causes it to be a stiffer mount than group-n.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just wondering now that there may be more units on the road. has anyone had any issues using the stock mounts. everyone states the engine moves a lot with the stock mounts, does this pose problems with the exhaust holes in the body if I decide to run them there? there are a lot of tight clearances on this car, i guess i am trying to get some more input before i drop my motor in. any advice and opinions are welcome...thanks.

Doug

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd do some stiffer mounts myself

Post Thanks / Like
    MSI solid mounts. Also have the added benefit of lowering the engine about 8mm.

Or for in between, there are the Beatrush mounts, which I ran on my spec C. Considerably stiffer than the group N or cusco, but still a bit more give than the solids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    read some more articles on nasioc..... i think i will go with the group N's
    Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going with stock mounts unless I have problems. I don't like solid or overly stiff mounts bolted to aluminum, tends to break stuff. I would rather change a mount than weld up a block or trans. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an FYI- This post from me was back last Sept. I went Group N, but I'm sure others still need this info.
    Thanks- Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I went Cusco. Motor still seems to shift a decent amount, no broken aluminum thus far, only rod bearings

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as they are torqued properly, you aren't going to break a block with solid aluminum motor mounts. The bolts will sheer before the block cracks.

If you over torque them it can cause stress fracture issues. But you are more likely to crack the mount than the block.

However, since boxers don't have harmonic dampeners, if your rotating assembly isn't very well balanced, solid motor mounts will shake a filling or two loose on the street.

Have always wanted to try machined hockey pucks. Never got around to it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    anyone know of actual differences between the torque solutions, cusco, and beatrush motor mounts?

they all look like the same design...

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know the torque specs. from the engine and transmission mount to the frame? I am seeing a lot higher numbers than the FFR manual.

70 for engine and 103 for transmission.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaw777 View Post
    Does anyone know the torque specs. from the engine and transmission mount to the frame? I am seeing a lot higher numbers than the FFR manual.

trq.jpg

trq2.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 08-31-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jaw777 View Post

Those numbers sound high. They sound more like the torque for the bolts that go from the mount to the engine or trans. I know if you try to tighten the trans mount to frame bolts that tight you will likely strip the nut or bolt. I know because I did on my donor mount. Didn't tighten my new Group N mounts as much.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    just looked it up in the manual, engine mount is 62.7 ft lbs. transmission is only like 26 ft lbs. the cross member bolts for the trans are 51.6. i went by this for the engine, and for the trans i felt like 26 was kinda light so i just did the 51.6. seems legit to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    We went with the Group N mounts. $209 shipped for the engine and transmission mounts from Subarugenuineparts.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    Watch the engine movement when the clutch is pushed in.
    This is forth gear. The torque on the axle is 3 times greater in 1st gear.
    We definitely need stronger mounts and/or a pitch stop.
    Bob
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    818 rear mount 001.JPGI added this mount to the rear of the transaxle. It is a torque strut off of an 03 Impala. You could probably use a subie one but this one was 12 bucks.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Perrin makes both Poly engine and trans mounts, they are expensive but very nice parts. Our blue car has group N mounts and red car has the Perrins, less engine movement in the red car but not excessive in the blue one.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast