Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine Options

Post Thanks / Like

Engine Options

Hello forum,
    my father and I got our kit (and have had it for longer than I'd like to admit) and progress is slow
    We got the complete kit with mounts for a 302 iirc, and we're trying to figure out what to do with the engine (which has been complicated by the fact that we are trying to register in MA, but that's a whole other issue)

My question is, has anyone with a 302 found it to be underpowered? My father wants to build this as a fun cruiser, which I can appreciate, but I also want it to have some guts for autox or just some fun at the strip.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    The Challenge series was started using stock 302's, so it depends on what you say as "under powered". You will get many answers to this ranging from 225hp to over 600hp. Auto cross can be a lot of fun with about 300hp, but drag racing would require much more to be competitive. You will have a lot of choices to choose from with a 302, just get the one that matches your budget and desires.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I found it to have plenty of power for street use

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It sounds like you and your father are miles apart on what you want for the car. You should decide on a hp range based on what it will be used for most of the time, IMO. The drag strip fun will cost a lot more than even a reasonably built up street machine can offer. I translate fun at the drag strip as winning. Now autox would definitely be doable at 300+ hp. I think one dilemma with these cars is the longer you have them the more hp you want. It's sort of like a drug addiction but legal. Thankfully, I haven't had mine long enough to want to change yet.

Good luck on your choice,

WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll let you know when i get my 302/T5 combo ordered from Mike Forte - unfortunately I haven't received any updates or info despite my calls / emails over the past few weeks - he seems to be pretty busy - any other forum members experience this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Even a bone stock efi 302 is a lot of fun w/ a 355 rear gear. OTOH I really like my 400hp 351. But living in Ma, you need to be really sure you understand their requirements before you do much to the engine. Hopefully other Ma FFR owners will help out here.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Disclaimer: by "fun at the strip", I mean not being over, say, 13 seconds
    I'm a bit more interested in the autox side of things, and I'm hoping to get somewhere in the mid 300's for hp at least.