I was right on the edge of highjacking an old abandoned thread that was (sort of, kind of, not really) on topic and then thought it best to just start a new one.

I am considering going the 818R route (I currently have a MK3 roadster and this would replace it). I would, however, be using it more like an 818S buyer might - 90% street/ 10% track, so I would get the windshield option. I just prefer the style and safety factor of the 818R's frame/roll cage design. I still beat myself up every once in a long while for not getting a challenge car instead when I built my MK3 7 years ago.

My question though - where does that angled side bar land on your body? Is it going to be a head clunker requiring a helmet on the street? I am hoping it is low enough to be around shoulder height, but I'm tall only by 1950's standards (5' 9"). The top of my head sits just about at the top of the kirkey seats for the roadster (appears they have the same option in the 818R) as a reference point. Unfortunately I haven't seen the 818 in person since it was just a frame at the open house last year.

Thoughts? Easily adjusted by a qualified welder (aka not me)? Roll bar padding an option? I'm not worried about climbing over the door to get in and out.