Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Team Thunder Valley Racing Scores Two Podium Finishes with Coupe

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like

Team Thunder Valley Racing Scores Two Podium Finishes with Coupe

Team Thunder Valley Racing crew leader Karen Salvaggio sent us some good news today reporting that the first competition Factory Five Type 65 Coupe not only secured it’s official logbook this past weekend, but that it also earned two podium finishes!

The team raced to a 3rd place finish on Saturday and a 2nd place finish on Sunday in the TTU class during an event held at the Auto Club Speedway. Way to go everyone! We look forward to hearing about future race events.
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Post Thanks / Like
    YES!!!!! Awesome Karen!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13
    Build thread: HERE

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    OUTSTANDING!!! Looks like you had fun this weekend and it all turned out well. See you in April.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    That's awesome!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations to Karen and the whole team! Looks like you are sneaking up on the competetion. I guess First place is your next step. The other teams better get out of the way.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    congrats karen and team
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    Great performance! See you in Huntington Beach. Jim
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    HA that's awesome Karen. So basically you show up with a brand new car get your log book and out of the box you are on the box!

Clearly a very well built and driven car.

Very cool!

John
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    Very excellent - looking forward to seeing you, the team and the car at the HB event!
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    A W E S O M E ! Way to go Karen! Warrior Princess #28

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent Karen, that is impressive in a brand new car! How does the solid axle feel compared to the IRS?

-Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Wooooo hooooooo!
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithtlw View Post
    Excellent Karen, that is impressive in a brand new car! How does the solid axle feel compared to the IRS?

-Todd
    Congrats Karen!

Please tell us more details about your setup and balance of the car.
    Mike......FFR Coupe #340, 2003 LS1 350 RWHP, TKO 500, QT BH, Champ 10 QT pan, 5 Lug and AC, Cobra Disc, SAI mod, Nitto NT-01 275/315 ..Licensed for 28k..Just over 30k w/race tires and many mods
    http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/mmarshall01/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stlmarshall
    2011, 2012, and 2013 St Louis region XP Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Follow the build blog, most if not all of the info is there. Here is a link http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/entry...egend#comments and here http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/blog.php?6-vnmsss
    Last edited by frankeeski; 03-05-2013 at 02:01 AM.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    WAY TO GO Karen!! Tell your team that you and they ROCK! What an awesome weekend for you. You certainly have earned it with all your hard work, as well as your willingness to share your experiences with the community.

Best of luck the rest of the season, and please keep us posted!! Again, congratulations!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

A great start to a new series!

Awesome! What a great beginning! How did she feel on those high banks? I'm very anxious to get mine down there later this season. You have a lot more power now than the old car...how do speeds, lap times, etc compare? TTU? SoCal not using the new classification nomenclature? I should think you would be TT1 or 2 depending on your final hp/wt ratio? As TT1 I bet you would have finished 1st. No way you will ever beat that 700hp Lister that runs TTU down there, or the 600 hp Corvette...anyhoooo WAY TO GO!

Tom
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    I should really try to make it out to a race sometime this season. I would love to see it in action.

Is there a race schedule posted somewhere?

Marc
    It's just A Matter Of Time

Marc

FFR Coupe 434, 347ci, Power Brakes, SAI Mod, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankeeski View Post
    Follow the build blog, most if not all of the info is there. Here is a link http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/entry...egend#comments and here http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/blog.php?6-vnmsss
    Thanks for the link frank. I had read most of that blog previously, but was more interested in details of what has worked and what has not. Things like weight bias, tire/rim compound and sizes, shocks and dampening rates, spring rates, ride heights, alignment specs, ect. I am also interested in any changes they made along the way to cure any problems. I understand if there are some details they would like to keep close for competition sake.
    Mike......FFR Coupe #340, 2003 LS1 350 RWHP, TKO 500, QT BH, Champ 10 QT pan, 5 Lug and AC, Cobra Disc, SAI mod, Nitto NT-01 275/315 ..Licensed for 28k..Just over 30k w/race tires and many mods
    http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr2/mmarshall01/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/stlmarshall
    2011, 2012, and 2013 St Louis region XP Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulation. Getting your new logbook and first hardware is always a thrill. I know it takes time to get things dialed in but what were your top speeds and lap times and how do they compare to the old car?

Thanks,

Bill Lomenick
    Chotis Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! Congratulations to you and your team!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice...congrats!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks so much everyone!

The first priority for the weekend was to secure the Competition Coupe's logbook. As most here know, the roll cage in the car is an all-new design for the Coupe, and in our efforts, we worked closely with tech officials, and followed the NASA and SCCA Club Codes and Regulations (CCR's) very closely. NASA tech officials inspected the car thoroughly, including a 360 degree inspection of the joints and welds, drilling the cage in several places to verify tubing specs were met, and assuring all other required competition items, including the fuel cell, fire suppression system, safety nets (window and center), and tow hooks were in strict compliance. We received the good news that every item passed with flying colors, including the cage as designed. Needless to say, after a year's worth of work, I was ecstatic to receive a logbook for the #28 Warrior Princess.

I owe big thanks to fellow Coupe builders Hank Lopez and Rick Anderson for the design work and execution of the cage. Over the course of the last two years, we spent countless hours on the phone, e-mailing, forum PM'ing, and working together in the shop on this cage. All of us also owe a debt of gratitude to the innovative engineering work of Dave Borden, for the design improvements which have been made to our cars over the years, especially the development of the SAI mod that is now fully incorporated into these new chassis. Congratulations and thank you!! With your help, we did it!

The next goal for the weekend was to get out on to secure the latest suspension data for the car. The car would compete in TTU class for the weekend, as the car had not yet been to the dyno, which is required in the newly formed TT1-3 classes. Competing in the unlimited class would certainly be a challenge, but the objectives and performance goals for the weekend, which included suspension development and overall systems checks, could readily be accomplished.

So just how does the 3-link compare with the IRS? Well, in a word...Awesome! The car stuck like glue everywhere on track, and in all the new builds I've driven on track over the years, this one was, by far, the best. The car turns in beautifully, transitions well through the turns, and track out is smooth and predictable. You can literally take a corner inside or out, and she will respond well. Smooth and steady through the oval, and the suspension travel was more than ample to handle the G-forces of the high banks. Suspension settings are much as I've outlined in the blog post, and brought back memories of driving the Challenge Series cars, but with the pleasant absence of the legendary snap over-steer and twitchiness. Gathered a lot of data, and items that need attention include the brakes (require far too much effort for so very little stopping power), a pesky accusump solenoid problem, and need to take the car to the dyno for tuning. The engine needs additional tuning for sure, and I can tell we were down on power, but overall, and for our first competition, I was very pleased.

It was certainly great to be back behind the wheel this weekend. I've pretty much spent the last year building the Coupe, and other than driving the 25 Hours in December, I had not been on track in more than a year. Auto Club Speedway is the premier racetrack in Southern California, and as such, our garage was filled with a steady stream of visitors and curious passers-by all weekend. We were pitted next to good friends Rick Knoop (legendary driver) and Julian Mann, owner of the Lister, as well as Team Free (Terry Free, ST1 Corvette) Their teams were of immeasurable help this weekend. It was also awesome to see forum members John Tongish and Gary Lemke running their roadsters this weekend, and I was grateful that Frank Maslowski and family stopped by to provide support and encouragement (and some helping hands!). Team Thunder Valley Racing members TC McNett and Roman Vaisman worked the event for NASA, and still found time to help in the garage as well. What good friends!

I also need to give a big shout out to fellow Coupe builder, Chris Ratliff. Chris drove out from the greater LA area for a visit on Saturday, and then graciously returned Sunday to work with me in the garage all day. He snapped the photos (stealthy) in this post during our track session. Thank you, Chris!

We had a great weekend, and your kind words remind me of just how fortunate I am to be even a small part of this amazing community. Thank you!

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 03-06-2013 at 12:14 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Karen! Lots of great news in this thread! Thanks for sharing it. Also, I hope to finish the coupe build manual in the next month and a half, having been delayed by a long litany of other matters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats again Karen. Can you share your suspension setup and tire size (looks like different rims this time) with all of us again. As soon as I get my engine back I'm going to be setting up my car and would like to see what you are doing since you have some track time already. I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get my car on a track before the One Lap of America race with the way my schedule is.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Great read, great pics and a great looking car!
    All my best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Karen! Now on to the next event.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I ran my street tires (Toyo R888's (275/315's) this weekend, mounted on the the HB replica wheels from Factory Five Racing (9 & 10.5's). FFR front sway bar, no bar in the rear. Front suspension settings: -2 camber, +6.5 caster, 1/16 toe out. Stock brakes (front/rear) that come with the Complete Coupe Kit, with Wilwood pedal box and master cylinders. Spring rates are similar to the Challenge Series cars. I set the ride height up a bit (+ .5) in the rear for this event, as the oval tends to really compress the car. It worked, as it was flat through the oval, and no ill effects through the infield. Didn't bother too much with comparing lap times between the old and new Coupe, as I was running more of a street tire and was not "pushing" it in any way. Patience "Grasshopper." Focus.... System development/reliability; Speed will come.

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 03-07-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this image of two gentlemen looking down and one telling the other " My wife's car is better than the orginal you built" and the second guy smiling and agreeing..

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Karen.

Thanks for the write up. Always nice to read about what is going on when we can't actually be there.

See you at BW.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I have this image of two gentlemen looking down and one telling the other " My wife's car is better than the orginal you built" and the second guy smiling and agreeing..
    Priceless!

....Thanks Mike...See you at BW! (Unless you'll be at Sonoma next weekend.

K
    Last edited by vnmsss; 03-07-2013 at 06:24 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,

That is truly awesome! The effort you guys put in is rightfully rewarded. It's an awesome car and an awesome team, congrats.

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great team effort! Also, great leadership, Karen! Hope you guys continue on your winning ways. Love the looks of that race car. Hard to believe it looks so good and still goes so fast!!! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Enjoy!

[IMG]http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r27/snkbtn/2013%20Coupe/**********AutoClubSpeedway_zpsbc18d2c7.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by vnmsss; 03-08-2013 at 05:02 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Just awesome news and photos! I am sooo stoked to get out there with you! Great news about the cage, cause mine will be under the gun very shortly. I am trying to get the paint completed so I can at least drive to the track in Sonoma next weekend for a shakedown run. Not quite ready for track time yet, but I'm dying to get it there! I, too need to dyno etc but I only have 17 mi on the motor...think I need to break it in a bit first! Hope to see you next weekend!
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tom....Ya, no dyno for mine yet either (and I'm good with it)....I know way too many people that spend tons of time building a fantastic motor, only to throw it on a dyno and run the he$$ out of it before it's even had time for the rings to seal or be remotely broken in...Dyno runs for the Warrior Princess are still down the road a bit.

Karen
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    Karen,

What color? Looks an awful lot like the original Gaurdsman Blue. Also what are the stripe width and separation dimensions?
    Thanks
    Bill

Coupe #421, Picked Up 11/15/08, started 1/1/09 - Rebuilt mildly massaged 302, T5, 3 Link, and Loads of Extras

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by loeffler1 View Post
    Karen,

What color? Looks an awful lot like the original Gaurdsman Blue. Also what are the stripe width and separation dimensions?
    Thanks
    It is "Perfection Blue" because it is perfect..
    Yea, I think it's the orginal Guardsman Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks again, guys.

Used the 1963 paint codes for Viking Blue and Wimbeldon White....9" stripes with 3/4" separation.

K
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2010 West Coast Champion

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is Karen S. of the #28 Warrior Princess,I'm building a coupe and would like your help on making it SCCA/NASA approved,you mention Hank Lopez and Rick Anderson for there help with the chassis and rollcage requirements.

Great work out there !!