Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Windshield angle

Post Thanks / Like

Windshield angle

After 5 years of not being overly thrilled with how my head sticks up above the windshield, I decided to measure the angle. In relation to the cowl, it's a 42 degrees. The angle was set by my painter, so I assumed (I know, I know) it was correct. After a bit of searching and reading the new Mk4 Wiki, I think I'm a bit off. The Wiki says to mount it at 53 degrees. I hope that adjusting the angle won't be too difficult, I'm sure it will be.

What angle is your windshield?
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    We us e53 degrees and that works with our top set up. If you are not going to use a top you can make it even straighter if you need it taller.
    It is usually easy to adjust, you have 5/8 holes with 1/2 bolts holding it to the frame, so there should be some clearance if you are not already adjusted all to one side. Be careful sometimes you will need to adjust the slot in the body where the ws post go through, if you are touching one side you will need to elongate the slot. Also be very careful, ad windshield post grommet or bezel can sometimes shave paint off if it is touching the fender when you are moving the ws frame
    HTH
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I never did check the angle. I simply used a tape measure between the top of the windshield frame, and the body at the rear of the cockpit between the seats to get my angle set. I forget exactly what the measurement was, but I think it was like 36-1/2"(?) I found the info on the FFCars site. You might try a search on there.

At 6'3" I am looking through the windshield, rather than at the top frame, and with having the sun visors angled up, wind is not an issue at all..you do have the sunvisors don't you? They can make a huge difference..

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    53 will make it lower, go with what looks right and gets your face below it, you may have to lower youur seats///////////Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Rick's quick release brackets so I didn't get much of a choice as to what angle it went in at .... whatever angle it was was fine by me
    FFR cobra
    RCR Superlite
    RCR 917
    04 Cobra/Z06/Diablo/bunch of other junk

Post Thanks / Like
    I just measured, I'm at 33" from the rear cockpit edge, about 3.5" too low. I'm not looking forward to trying to changing the angle, but I accept the challenge. By my shadetree calculations, I'll gain about 1.75" of windshield height by doing this.
    Non-donor - Engine Factory 351w/400hp - TKO500 - 3-Link - Cobra brakes - FFmetal - Wilwood pedals - FR500 wheels - NCPainter

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I would add to this conversation be careful because that angle can change the whole look of your car. I've seen quite a few that just don't look right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Neither does a head poking above the line of the windshield. But, point taken.

Owner of FFmetal.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill: In my MKII, getting at the anchor bolts to adjusting windshield rake is not very difficult, even in spite of the fact I located the battery atop the passenger footwell (Breeze kit). Once the battery is removed, I have free access to both sides of the windshield mounts. Just for the record, I have a donor 5.0 with EFI (the engine bay is not very crowded). Adjusting the windshield is of course a two-person operation, with one of them setting and pressing down on the unit to compress the base gasket, while the other tightens the four bolts, taking care not to induce undue stress in the process.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea what angle mine is but I did a lot of work to make the APE top fit the way I wanted and it needed to go forward and taller from where it was.I ended up doing some elongating of the holes in the windshield brackets. I also went to 3/8 bolts.Get Grade 8 bolts /nuts and hardened washers.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.