Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Toggle Switches

Post Thanks / Like

Toggle Switches

Looking for ideas for toggle switches in our Roadster. I don't like the cheap black plastic handled ones that come with the kit.

Any suggestions? And, where did you get them?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the provided switches aren't that great. There are a ton of choices. My personal favorite for on-line is DelCity.net. They have a nice search engine that helps to narrow down choices: http://www.delcity.net/productselector?type=Switches. Additionally there are the usual electronic supply houses like Digi-Key, Mouser, etc. But sometimes the selections are a little overwhelming. Jegs and Summit have a decent selection, including from Painless, Ron Francis, etc. Radio Shack and your local retail auto parts stores have a bunch too.

Personally, for both of my builds I used Lucas toggles switches from Finish Line. Lucas quality is a little marginal, so use relays if switching much current. I used them because (1) They have the traditional look I was going for, and (2) They have the matching windshield wiper switch with hi-low-park that can be duplicated with relays, but easier using the dedicated switch.
    Last edited by edwardb; 10-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Harold-

You may also want to consider some of the marine supply houses as well. They have a decent selection, and have the added bonus of being water resistant.

Edward had some good ideas as well. There are some good choices in his list.

One thing I have noticed is that most of the switches available now really aren't the beefy ones that you appear to be seeking. There are some with better electrical components than others, but most seem to be fairly cheaply made. That is a sweeping generalization, so I hope you are able to locate something you like. Good luck.

Regards,

Steve