BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zodiac 818-S Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Zodiac 818-S Build Thread

Well finally got the kit Oct 14th. Took the first whole day just going through the item list making sure I got everything. A couple things it said I was supposed to have that I didn't so that'll be sorted out soon enough. Unfortunately do to work sending me out of town more often lately I'm not gonna have a ton of time to work on the car but so far it's been a fun experiance

So now after 4 days of work (1 being an inventory day lol) here's the status so far
    IMAG0146_BURST002 - Copy.jpg

Shocks were very tight to get put together so I ended up just leaving the threaded sheathing in the sun for a bit and then after it just slid right on.
    Putting the master cylinder in place I just found out is gonna be tricky since the 1 inch bolts that go through barely make it past the pedal frame and are right against the piece were I can't get a bolt into. I think I need to just find some lond bolts to hole in place. Anyone else having this problem?

Other than that little things here and there like spacers too big or brackets modified I'm finding and with much help from others on the forums.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Putting the master cylinder in place I just found out is gonna be tricky since the 1 inch bolts that go through barely make it past the pedal frame and are right against the piece were I can't get a bolt into. I think I need to just find some lond bolts to hole in place. Anyone else having this problem?
    We all did.

Everyone needed longer bolts. Some of us cut a hole in the steering column for the bolt to fit through. Wayne and others ground one part of the head of a bolt flat to sit flush against the steering column and insert the bolt from the cabin outwards.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Holy rivets batman, do you have any left? Nice work, I am still looking forward to my first "work on 818 all day" day.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah ok cool yea that's exactly what I was thinking about doing for the master cylinder.

And yea haha I think I went a little close on the rivets in the front section. After that I started spacing them out more. Still got a bunch left especially since the rivet gun I bought came with a nice big bag as well

Having a good full day helps a lot in being focused and remembering what you're doing and what needs to get done. After a week of not working on it I'm sure I'll get back and just stare at it for a bit haha. Still waiting on the front springs, passenger control arm, rotors, and a few other things so I hope they are coming in soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Great! Another one starting, let's see what good stuff you come around with!
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool, if you have questions shoot them at me

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    nice work.............your storming along!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMAG0162.jpg

Alright finally getting around to updating the thread. Well about 7 days in now and got a decent amount of stuff done fuel tank, coolant lines, brake lines almost done, and rear axles just to name a few. Like others had to modify the bolts to get the master cylinder to get mounted right. Took a pic in case anyone else is wondering.

IMAG0159.jpg

Was wondering a couple things. I only got 3 medium length brake lines. 2 for the front and then I used 1 to go from the side of the car to behind the fuel tank as I see this is what they did in the pictures but wasn't mentioned. But I still need another medium to run from the Tee to the back driver side and another to make it a little longer to connect a long line to get to the back passenger side. Anyone else having a problem like this?

Also still waiting on my fuel pump to get delivered but wanted to make sure everything was ready and can't seem to get just the holding unit into the tank without a lot of work so getting it in with a pump connected is gonna be basically impossible. What's everyone else doing cause I didn't see any posts anywhere about it really except for the fact that the stock pump filter is too big :/

IMAG0164_BURST002.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    (sorry for the shorthand notation, I type like crap)

Brake lines, we all had the same issues You really need:
    rear, left line 1st to match manual
    adaptor, 60, con, 60, tee, 6, con, 20, adaptor, clip to flex line
    (right) 6 from tee, 60, adapt, clip to flex
    front
    adapt, 6, prop valve, 6, tee, 20 to left, adapt, clip to flex
    from tee, 20 to right, adapt, clip to flex
    clutch
    adapt, 60, connector, 60 adapt, clip to flex

Note do not just put hard clutch line to flex over the motor, you need to clip the hard line to attach to frame somehow and make the flex do the flexing. I went down the left side of the engine compartment

They gave us enough length but not enough lines and connectors unless you make your own lines from what they provided.

I tried to cut, reflare my own with a borrowed 2 bar tool. I wasted a ton of time and brakeline, went to NAPA and bought what I needed. I used the donors clutch line bracket and clip since the kit only had 4 and you need 5.

PS I hope I got it right from memory :-)
    Last edited by RM1SepEx; 11-03-2013 at 09:37 PM.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Also still waiting on my fuel pump to get delivered but wanted to make sure everything was ready and can't seem to get just the holding unit into the tank without a lot of work so getting it in with a pump connected is gonna be basically impossible. What's everyone else doing cause I didn't see any posts anywhere about it really except for the fact that the stock pump filter is too big :/

IMAG0164_BURST002.jpg
    I put some tips on my build thread, but not many about getting it in. When clamping the pump on the bracket, keep the worm gear on top of the bracket, that maximized the space for me. I still took pliers and bent the tank flange up near one of the notches to make a little extra room to get the clamp in. Then bent it back before tightening. You can also get a lower profile clamp (the one they provided was giant)

fold the sock, make sure you installed the star washer to hold the sock) tuck it in. Straighten out the bracket (pivot on the rivet) and tuck the assembly in, you may need to twist to get it under the flange, it will bend back after it's in because of the hose.

Use the breather hole to get the sock flat in the baffle area. test with a 9v to make sure nothing got screwed up and install your retaining rings.

It really wasn't too bad.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 11-04-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: speling is hrd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys that helps a lot. Hopefully will get my stuff by next weekend to finish them up.

Post Thanks / Like
    ok so been away for a LONG time lol. Mostly lurking as I was mainly working on electronics for the longest time as well as waiting for the engine shop to finish building the motor. Well all is good as I not got the wiring done, motor and tranny in and just did my first test drive yesterday

1526548_10151873299647773_410974055_n.jpg

1798589_10151973418427773_942752134_n.jpg

1743457_10151941663572773_1596439664_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have a question though. Doing the lights right now and when I put it in reverse one of the reverse LEDs will flicker for awhile and then it will stable out after like 10 seconds. Is it most likely a bad bulb or some other electrical gremlin? It happens to the same bulb no matter which side I put it on.

Also I have NOT installed the LED flasher 90650. Do I even need it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow a long long way! lolll But we see things have progressed!

As for the bulb, I believe it may be a bad bulb (say that very quickly lolll). I have a lot of LEDs around, cars, bikes, home, interior, exterior, etc. and many times I have seen these bulbs flicker, usually they don't stop flickering though, but 3-4 times I got some that stopped flickering after a few seconds. They are ok, they work, but they most likely will continue to flicker that way.

If it's not too much of a hassle, I would change it. Couple of bucks, normally.
    But then again, it's the reverse light. How often do you use it, how often do people see these lights... maybe it's just fine to keep it too.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where in SoCal are you?

Post Thanks / Like
    yea i'll probably order a set and change them out. gotta check when i get home what brand and size otherwise i'd order it here at work lol.

i'm in pomona, ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have any info as far as getting the inside door handles mounted? I get them onto the panel but how are we supposed to have them held in place? Same kinda goes for the door panel itself. I can't get a nut on the inside unless I go and buy some more rivnuts to put in but I wanted to check with some others to get some more ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    There was a manual update that talked about this.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Aww ok thanks i'll have to check in on that

Post Thanks / Like
    So everything been pretty smooth when I got time. But it is a pain getting out of the driveway and any other small bumps. Any way to raise it higher? I've turned the bolts on the sway bar and the springs I have just tight enough to hold the spring in place. Max I was able to get was 4.5 inches from ground to bottom of front splitter. Is there a way to get another 1-1.5 inches?

Post Thanks / Like
    1606955_10152157409502773_8800469041875333644_n.jpg

all done. Took me awhile to finally update this thread lol. So far it's been great. Still got a few things here and there to adjust and of course I don't think I'll ever really be done since there's always stuff I'm gonna want to add haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    So everything been pretty smooth when I got time. But it is a pain getting out of the driveway and any other small bumps. Any way to raise it higher? I've turned the bolts on the sway bar and the springs I have just tight enough to hold the spring in place. Max I was able to get was 4.5 inches from ground to bottom of front splitter. Is there a way to get another 1-1.5 inches?
    sawsall? tighten the springs would raise the car
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    I like those wheels and tires, what are the specs on them? Can you get a closer picture of the wheels in relation to the fenders front and rear?
    I would like to know if you have any wheel spacers behind the wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! I keep hearing the term "graduated" when people finish the initial build. I take that as meaning not done, but completed the building process. Just like we aren't done learning after graduating high school. It seems an appropriate word for our home-built projects. Enjoy your hard work!
    Rich

818S in progress. 2007 WRX sedan donor.
    Powered up: 7-8-14, First Start: 7-20-14, Go kart: 8-19-14

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwing View Post
    Looks great! I keep hearing the term "graduated" when people finish the initial build. I take that as meaning not done, but completed the building process. Just like we aren't done learning after graduating high school. It seems an appropriate word for our home-built projects. Enjoy your hard work!
    Exactly, graduation ceremony are referred to as 'Commencement'; which literally means a start. Congrats, Zodiac!

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha it's too true with kit cars I don't think we are ever truly 'finished'. Speaking of which I finally got around to installing the center console as well as the donor dash into the car. I like the wrx dash better than the 818 one plus once the hard top comes out I plan on using the vents for an AC system that I will install down the line.

DSC_2090.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Your dash turned out awesome! I always thought F5R should have reused the donor dash. How is the interface between the windshield and the dash? Is that going to need some custom work?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Woah! that looks awesome! I never would have thought of using the whole donor dash. I might even still have mine in the attic, hmmmm

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Yea the section against the glass is gonna need a little work to clean it up. I don't have the donor piece that goes along it but I don't think it was going to work anyways. I'll make something up with something and probably some some carbon fiber vinyl wrap and should be clean after that. I think it was about 1"-1.5" I cut off on each side to make it fit. That said I'm not sure why F5R didn't make the car just a tad wider so the stock dash would have worked.

I trimmed off to almost where the side vents are if you look closely. I'm thinking of getting some thin sheet metal to cover up the whole and have it lip over the dash and have it screwed down to secure it. Kinda wish I didn't sell the glovebox as I think I could probably find a way to get that functional also lol

And since I'm not using the stock AC system I found a new location for gauges

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Yea the section against the glass is gonna need a little work to clean it up. I don't have the donor piece that goes along it but I don't think it was going to work anyways. I'll make something up with something and probably some some carbon fiber vinyl wrap and should be clean after that. I think it was about 1"-1.5" I cut off on each side to make it fit. That said I'm not sure why F5R didn't make the car just a tad wider so the stock dash would have worked.

I trimmed off to almost where the side vents are if you look closely. I'm thinking of getting some thin sheet metal to cover up the whole and have it lip over the dash and have it screwed down to secure it. Kinda wish I didn't sell the glovebox as I think I could probably find a way to get that functional also lol

And since I'm not using the stock AC system I found a new location for gauges
    Thanks for the detail. They wouldn't even need to make the car wider, just make it so the doors have a recess for the dash, that's how many new cars have their door/dash interface designed anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow you made it with the entire dash and console!
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have anymore detail on the dash? How far forward is the dash from the dash cross bar where the radio goes? Im debating on trying the oem setup or continuing with ffr dash with my ac setup

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero STI View Post
    Thanks for the detail. They wouldn't even need to make the car wider, just make it so the doors have a recess for the dash, that's how many new cars have their door/dash interface designed anyway.
    nice, just get out that dremel!

dash looks good. perhaps instead of the glove box you can do a lift up storage bin under the passenger airbag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Do you have anymore detail on the dash? How far forward is the dash from the dash cross bar where the radio goes? Im debating on trying the oem setup or continuing with ffr dash with my ac setup
    You can see here where I had to make the cut. The vent still needs a little trimming to fit perfectly as I plan to make a cover to close the new opening that is seen with the doors open.
    DSC_2102.JPG

Here you can see the dash is not the same curvature as the window. Also I am missing a section of the dash that goes here that I may repurchase and trim to fit. That or find some other way to cover up this opening and unfinished panel.
    DSC_2103.JPG

And here is where I used notches that are already in the dash and used as holes where I put a bolt through to clamp to the beam. I also added maybe a 3/4 inch spacer between the dash and beam that allowed the dash to sit better for me.
    DSC_2110.JPG

There was also a little trimming here and there that needed to be done to sit properly. I know also where the cluster meets the steering colum needs trimming for me to fit as well but forgot that picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zodiac; 09-10-2015 at 12:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    On another subject has anyone come up with a good way to get around the fuel starvation problem? I have the hot rod fuel tank that came with the original 818s. I saw a post about the hydramat by holleys but haven't seen any reviews for it.

I'd like to avoid having to buy a new fuel tank also but worse case in the future I may have to do that if thats the only option. If I do have to go that route which to go with? Boyd tanks I hear also aren't good for solving that issue either. Or is the best option to build one the same shape as the hot rod one but divide into 2 or 3 compartments and have the fuel jet pumped into the main one?

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it were me, I'd cut an access hole out of the top of the tank and weld in a nice baffle system, then weld a top back on the tank. Basically what you just described.

Post Thanks / Like
    On another subject has anyone come up with a good way to get around the fuel starvation problem? I have the hot rod fuel tank that came with the original 818s. I saw a post about the hydramat by holleys but haven't seen any reviews for it.

I'd like to avoid having to buy a new fuel tank also but worse case in the future I may have to do that if thats the only option. If I do have to go that route which to go with? Boyd tanks I hear also aren't good for solving that issue either. Or is the best option to build one the same shape as the hot rod one but divide into 2 or 3 compartments and have the fuel jet pumped into the main one?
    Zodiac,
    I would investigate later model OEM fuel pump assemblies. I think they have a surge tank built in.
    This is a picture of a 2008-2011 STI / Legacy pump assembly.
    Bob

DSC_4299.jpg
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 09-12-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting I'll have to look into that. If not for me it will be much easier to build a surge tank than to open up the existing one and mod that up. Holy crap surge tanks from name brands are expensive but I see do it yourself ones to be made for under $100 before buying an inline pump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the pics. If it's not to much of pain could you measure the distance in the radio opening to the cross bar in your 3rd pic and also from the front of the radio to where you bolted to the beam with your spacer. My donor dash was rubbish and I chucked it now I'm slightly regretting it. But don't want to drop a large chunk of change to buy one on eBay just yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    From the radio opening to the beam is 3.5 inches. It barely touches the bottom of it so you might be able to adjust the dash to give you way more room. Unless you find a radio that can squeeze in under it. The spacer is 3/8 inch deep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast