Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Savage' build thread

Post Thanks / Like

The 'Savage' build thread

Time to start my build thread.

Nothing really all that savage about it except we are building the car in Savage, MD.

Details:

Kit: 818S, scheduled for pick-up on Dec. 5th
    Donor: 2005 WRX crate donor. Rebuilt heads and such due to radiator getting pushed back. Wayne should be finishing this up and shipping it as soon as they come to truck his car off to SEMA.
    Builders: Larry G. (Me) and Dave R.

Current plans (subject to change, but 90% sure):
    Exterior colors
    : Orange on Mojave Sand - updated 8/8/2018
    Interior colors: Orange on Black
    Wheels: OZ Alleggerita HLT in Orange 17x8
    Tires: Yokohama AD08 F:215/40R17 R:245/40R17
    Seats: Sparco Chrono Road
    Kit Options: Powder Coat, FFR Steering Wheel, Street Splitter and Spoiler, Soft Top maybe some day
    Engine: IAG built Stage 1+ short block. Engine built and installed by IAG - updated 8/8/2018

The car will be built in the left hand bay of this garage:

IMG_0202.jpg

As you can see we have some cleaning up to do. Actually we have already done a lot and the Charger will get moved to the adjacent bay.

IMG_0203.jpg

Me in the open house car:

IMG_1752.jpg

Dave in the open house car:

IMG_1760.jpg
    Last edited by K3LAG; 02-25-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Updated seats

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and good luck on your build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha, I see you'll get one of the best tire out there. I run these, awesome. Will order them for my 818 as well.
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    A minor update.

Wayne is still finishing up my donor, so it won't get shipped before he heads to Vegas. That's OK though as he's taking care of a few extra little things for me.

We did some more work prepping the garage and got the GoPro mounted for the time lapse build video. Here is a still of the view the GoPro has:

IMG_0058.jpg

We'll use the space in front of the Charger and the adjacent bay to work on donor parts until we are ready to move the Charger. Just before we go to pick up the kit we will move the Charger to make space for the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is that the harbor freight parts rack? I saw that the other day and wished I had it for my donor teardown.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    Is that the harbor freight parts rack? I saw that the other day and wished I had it for my donor teardown.
    The rack with the colored bins is from Harbor Freight. It was a pain in the neck to assemble, but once you get it together it's pretty nice. It takes nearly 40 screws of various sizes to put it together.

The heavy shelves in the corner are for the big parts. That is from Costco.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun with your build! Hope the whole process exceeds your expectations.
    FFR4958. IRS, 408W, Loud and fast!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, it's been a couple of weeks so time for a little update. My donor is making it's journey from Wayne's shop to us. It should be here on Wednesday. We will spend the long weekend un-crating everything and building the dolly for the chassis.

On Thursday the 5th we head to MA to pick up the kit. Should have it back here by the night of the 6th.

I'll post some donor kit pics in a few days and some FFR trip pics the week after that. Things will start happening now!

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Got a great big box yesterday

My donor came from Wayne yesterday. The Con-Way driver was a really nice guy. He moved the crate all the way from the street to the detached garage behind the house, over 100 ft, on his palette jack. There is a slight hill so he pulled and Dave's son and I pushed. I tried to give him a tip, but he wouldn't take it.

Here is what he brought:

IMG_1798.jpg

This is Dave's son, Zane, unbolting the engine and transmission from the crate. I expect he'll be around learning and helping quite a bit.

IMG_1800.jpg

All the parts unpacked, sorted and put on shelves. Took us about 2 1/2 hours to get it all unpacked.

IMG_1804.jpg

Engine on stand.

IMG_1805.jpg

This weekend we will complete the inventory of all the parts, get a dolly built and start doing some cleanup. We also have to get the Charger moved to make space for the build.

We head to Wareham a week from today to pickup the kit.
    Last edited by K3LAG; 11-28-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Chassis number 86 is on its way home.

We picked up our 818 today. Plan to have it home to Maryland tomorrow.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a well deserved smile in photo one! Congratulations on the pick-up.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Given the chassis number, 86, my wife thinks we should name it Max.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Max, "well" That would be pretty "Smart"

one of the best TV shows evah

I picked up #17 on August 1st! shipping quite a few!
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Doing the above math I should have a chassis in the mid 120 or low 130s. I can't wait to have that same smile on my face. Need to start cleaning and prepping the garage.
    Last edited by 07FIREBLADE; 12-05-2013 at 08:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have to include a little homage to Max somewhere on the car.

'Missed it by that much'

Post Thanks / Like
    We are official now I made the Vroom Vroom sound!

IMG_5317.jpg

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta make the vroom noises or it isn't official ! Haha
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Talk about some big smiles Larry!
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    We have been prepping donor parts and taking care of other odds and ends since we got the kit home 2 weeks ago. Today I finally started putting some parts on. The panels will come back off to get powder coated so no riveting yet.

IMG_0287.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg

Knuckles and backing plates painted. New bearings and seals will go in next.

IMG_0289.jpg

It's starting to feel like progress!

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Front firewall is done. We decided at the last minute not to powder coat the aluminum. The 6061 is sufficiently corrosion resistant that I decided it didn't really need coated. Besides, I like the look of the aluminum. Also, not powder coating will save a few hundred bucks for something else. We will use some kind of coating on the wheel wells and bottom of the car, but not sure what we will use yet.

IMG_0296.jpg

I only worked long enough to finish the firewall today. Wanted to spend the rest of Christmas Eve at home.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 01-26-2014 at 04:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got most of the front suspension hung friday night. We are waiting on back ordered shocks, so we will finish that up when they come.

IMG_0325.jpg

Started working on getting the rack installed, but ran into some fit issues. We have a plan to attack the issues and will work on it tomorrow. My next post will include details on the problem and the fix, if it works out according to plan, in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Steering rack install

As I mentioned in my last post, we ran into some problems getting the steering rack installed. I am providing a fairly detailed description of the problem and how we solved it in case someone else runs into the same problem.

Our steering rack is different from both the '02-'04 and '05-'07 steering racks the kit was designed for. If you look at the following pictures, you will notice two differences.

1. The mounting ears on the gear casting are different heights
    2. The line routing is different. The two fittings on the cylinder are on opposite sides of the rack

IMG_0337.jpg IMG_0335.jpg

Not noticeable by looking is the fact that the rack is 2.8 turns lock-to-lock instead of the normal 3.

We aren't sure how our 2005 WRX ended up with this rack, but it did. I suspect either an aftermarket replacement or for some reason the previous owner chose to put a Legacy rack on it. The reason I say it could possibly be a Legacy rack is because the placement of the fittings and 2.8 turns lock-to-lock seems to match what would be on a Legacy.

With the configuration of the mounting ears, the rack sits just a bit higher above the mounts on the chassis and no combination of the provided spacers and rack bracket would mount this rack straight in the chassis.

After a bit of pondering, measuring (and a phone call to Wayne )we determined that if we put a spacer under the shorter ear of the casting, the FFR provided bracket would hold the rack in the correct place if it were installed on top of the chassis rather than under it as specified by FFR. Here is the rack with the bracket under it on the bench:

IMG_0339.jpg
    You'll have to excuse my hand in the picture.

So with measurements in hand I made the following parts:

1. A spacer to go under the 2nd bushing of the casting. Spacer dimensions are 1.4" x 1.4" x .325" It's the black square in the picture below. The 1.4" dimension isn't critical. The bushing is about 1.125 in diameter so it just needs to be a bit larger than that.

2. 2 spacers for the other end of the rack. One is 1.25" long and the other is 1.5" long. These were made from .75 rod since I didn't have any tube of appropriate wall thickness. The holes aren't perfectly in the center, but the wall thickness is more than the FFR provided spacers even at the smallest point so I didn't worry about it. These are the two parts at the right in the below picture.

IMG_0340.jpg

The bottom bolt on the passenger side mount needed a longer bolt. 2.75" would be adequate, but 3" was all I had on hand.

These parts, along with the FFR bracket placed on top of the chassis resulted in this:

IMG_0343.jpg IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg

The rack is perfectly parallel with the chassis in both planes and appears to be well centered as well. We didn't pull the boots off to see precisely how well it's centered, but it looks pretty close.

We will trim the length of the one bolt to provide clearance for the bolt that is used to attach the radiator support.

If anyone runs into the same or similar problem, I hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    I've reached the end of my 2 week vacation and I am pretty happy with the progress. The front suspension is essentially complete and most of the interior aluminum is installed. We decided to hold off on the floor panel for now. Rear suspension parts are ready for install and that will be our next step. Then we will get the engine and tranny cleaned up for install.

No drama since the steering rack, so nothing technical to report. Here are a couple of progress pictures.

IMG_0355.jpg IMG_0353.jpg IMG_0351.jpg

Now that vacation is over, work will largely be limited to Friday evenings, so updates will slow a bit.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

Week ending 11 January update

This weeks update isn't terribly exciting progress wise:

We got the lower portion of the rear suspension installed:
    IMG_0367.jpg

I got the line on the steering rack installed:
    IMG_0370.jpg

Removed the exhaust and alternator from the engine to prep for clean up and installation:
    IMG_0372.jpg

And finally, got the transmission cleaned up:
    IMG_0378.jpg

On Friday night we had a big birthday party for Dave and I. We both turned 50 in the last month so we had a big party with about 60 of our closest friends. Our wives did a great job taking care of the party.
    IMG_0374.jpg IMG_0375.jpg

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    My birthday was two weeks ago, but I can't resist...

Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me...

IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0395.jpg

My wife is wonderful. She bought me these for my birthday. It looks like RAL 2008 is a really close match for powder for some of the other parts of the car.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice lightweight OZs!!! Nice color too, what's your plan on the body?

And I love those tires! One of the best out there for the price, I think. Got them on my summer car and bought them for my 818.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank818 View Post
    ... what's your plan on the body?
    A light coat of orange pearl over white.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been a few weeks since I have posted an update.

We have been working on a bunch of small projects and most of them came together this week with some good progress.

We now have the engine ready to install:

IMG_0432.jpg IMG_0430.jpg

The goal is to install the engine, clutch and transmission on Presidents day (next monday). We are going to put a firewall/heat shield between the tank and engine. Hopefully we will have that in, in time to install the engine next Monday. We are only going to cover the height of the tank (10") rather than the full height of the engine as some others have done.

We finally got the pedal box and steering column installed after an aborted first attempt several weeks ago. If you get a pedal box that looks like this:

IMG_0433.jpg

It won't fit. That one was included with my crated donor, but it was not even close to fitting. Wayne sent me another pedal box and this one fit fine with the usual little adjustments that most people have had to make:

IMG_0434.jpg

Here is pedal box, column and master cylinders installed:

IMG_0435.jpg IMG_0436.jpg

I spent part of yesterday rebuilding the clock spring. At some point I got a bit carried away and spun the steering wheel and pulled the ribbon cables out of the inside of the clock spring. It took me a couple of hours to disassemble it, reconnect everything and get it rewound and reassembled. It was a bit of a pain in the neck, so I recommend you NOT give your steering wheel a good spin.

I will install the Works Bell short hub, Rapfix II quick release and FFR steering wheel soon. Since the Works Bell parts only come with instructions in Japanese, I will document the installation and post it here in case others need it.

I mentioned in a previous post the modifications we had to do to mount our steering rack. Although we had to do a little extra work, it turned out well. The rack is perfectly centered so I don't have to think about any of those issues.

While at an electronics store yesterday I found this flexible LED light strip. It is made by Velleman USA. I will drill a series of holes the same diameter as the LED's in the rear spoiler and mount this for my 3rd brake light.

IMG_0070.jpg IMG_0071.jpg

Overall, a good bit of progress in the last few weeks.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K3LAG View Post
    While at an electronics store yesterday I found this flexible LED light strip. It is made by Velleman USA. I will drill a series of holes the same diameter as the LED's in the rear spoiler and mount this for my 3rd brake light.
    That's what I'm doing.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like

Works Bell hub and quick release install with FFR steering wheel

As promised, here is my install write up for the Works Bell short hub, RapFix II Quick Release and FFR steering wheel. Since all of the instructions are in Japanese, I thought others might find this useful.

Products used:

Works Bell Short Hub 116S
    Works Bell Rapfix II Quick Release
    Works Bell Flipper for Rapfix II
    Factory Five Racing steering wheel

First remove the OEM steering wheel. This picture shows the clock spring connectors. The Airbag wires are attached to clock spring. I cut them off. The horn connection is in the middle connector. The blue tape is just there to keep the clock spring from turning. Under the blue tape there are two small triangles that align when the clock spring is oriented correctly.
    IMG_0441.jpg

The green connector is included with the hub. It provides the connection to the horn relay.
    IMG_0442.jpg

Thread the wire through the opening in the hub and attach the hub to the column using the OEM nut. Be sure the hub is oriented correctly. The dimple (shown in the blue circle) should be on top.
    IMG_0443.jpg

Attach wires from quick release base to the grounding ring and hub as shown. The grounding ring ensures a good ground connection between the quick release and hub and provides a tab for attaching the ground wire.
    IMG_0445.jpg

Attach the base of the quick release to the hub with the provided screws. Again, the dimple should be on top.
    IMG_0446.jpg

Snap the removable part of the quick release into place. Again there is a dimple for orientation.
    IMG_0447.jpg IMG_0448.jpg

Trim one of the connectors on the FFR steering wheel horn switch so the connector from the quick release will fit.
    IMG_0449.jpg

Attach both wires and install the steering wheel with the screws that come with the steering wheel. Then, press on the FFR sticker in the middle of the wheel. Stand back and admire your work!
    IMG_0452.jpg IMG_0453.jpg

if you wish to test the horn button, you can check continuity from ground to the green wire on the 5 pin connector on the column. When the horn button is pressed you should have continuity to ground.

Unlike some of the other hubs available, the Works Bell hub does cancel the turn signal lever.

As alway, if you have any questions let me know.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    In addition to getting the steering wheel installed, we also installed a heat shield between the tank and engine.

IMG_0444.jpg

We plan to install the engine, clutch and transmission on Monday.

Larry

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the detail on the quick release, that looks like a real nice piece.

I agree with your detective work, that indeed looks like a LGT rack.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Legac...27552b&vxp=mtr

What fuel tank are you running? If stock, make sure you drill the hole in your firewall before installing that engine.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    I agree with your detective work, that indeed looks like a LGT rack.

What fuel tank are you running? If stock, make sure you drill the hole in your firewall before installing that engine.
    The rack worked out well. It turns out to be perfectly centered.

We are using Boyd tank, so no hole needed.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

APRS or something? de KH6WZ

Larry -
    You going to do anything on your 818 for ham radio? I am building a Coupe, but will have only some additional power wires/Anderson PowerPoles going into the cockpit.

-wayne KH6WZ
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster View Post
    Larry -
    You going to do anything on your 818 for ham radio? I am building a Coupe, but will have only some additional power wires/Anderson PowerPoles going into the cockpit.

-wayne KH6WZ
    I've been thinking about it, but no plan yet. The best place for the antenna is probably the roll bar, but I'm not sure I want it that close to my head.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    As John "Hannibal" Smith would say "I love it when a plan comes together."

IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0461.jpg IMG_0460.jpg IMG_0459.jpg

Feels like another milestone has been met.

Westview, thanks for coming over to lend a hand.

Larry
    Last edited by K3LAG; 02-17-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That orange looks beautiful. I was thinking of having my intake manifold coated with Cermakrome and maybe a few other things as well. That orange is really beautiful though so has me thinking about copying you now

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice work there. It's refreshing to see a new color on the same old parts I've been seeing for years. Don't think I've ever seen an orange. Bold choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bompus View Post
    That orange looks beautiful. I was thinking of having my intake manifold coated with Cermakrome and maybe a few other things as well. That orange is really beautiful though so has me thinking about copying you now
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Nice work there. It's refreshing to see a new color on the same old parts I've been seeing for years. Don't think I've ever seen an orange. Bold choice.
    Thanks guys. The color is RAL 2008 Hellrotorange (Bright Red Orange). It is the same color OZ uses on the orange Alleggerita HLT wheels, which I am using. It took a bit of experimenting to get the color of the powder coat to match the wheels, but we got it to match pretty well.

IMG_0454.jpg

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Never thought of painting the tranny as well? Orange or any other color.
    Frank

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast