Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: mk4 body buck template

Post Thanks / Like

mk4 body buck template

I will be receiving my mk4 complete kit in a few weeks and I have found several threads about the design of the body buck not being correct in the mk4 manual. Stan's Revised mk4 template seems to be popular solutions and there are claims that it is the correct body buck.

My body will be on the buck for a long time and I want to be certain I do not damage the body by not supporting it improperly. Is there a problem with the template in the mk4 manual? Are there other suggestions in addition to a body buck for longer term storage of the body?

Thanks?

Post Thanks / Like
    The body buck design in the Mk4 manual is the same as the Mk3 body buck. The bodies are a little different, but the Mk3 body buck should work just fine for the Mk4 body. It is a temporary stand for a very strong body. Using the Mk3 body buck will not hurt an Mk4 body in any way. It does not have to be perfect. The body buck could be 4 posts in the fender well and it would serve it's purpose. The important thing is to have the body up off of the ground.

Best regards,

Brian @ FFR

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Z View Post
    The body buck design in the Mk4 manual is the same as the Mk3 body buck. The bodies are a little different, but the Mk3 body buck should work just fine for the Mk4 body. It is a temporary stand for a very strong body. Using the Mk3 body buck will not hurt an Mk4 body in any way. It does not have to be perfect. The body buck could be 4 posts in the fender well and it would serve it's purpose. The important thing is to have the body up off of the ground.

Best regards,

Brian @ FFR
    Glad to see someone from the factory give answer. I have said the same for sometime but many seem to think the buck must fit perfect. I have a body hanging from the ceiling with 4 hooks, its just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    The front template in the Mk4 manual (the same as the Mk3) will fit the front of the body perfectly. The rear template will not due to the changes in the Mk4 rear body.

I used the rear template listed at www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck02.html. The old factory five forum. This rear template fits the body curve perfectly just behind the cockpit but does not fit the rear wheel wells. I had to add the foam fender protectors that came with the kit (to protect it during delivery) and add some small towels to get better support for the rear fender well. It does however support the body as a whole just fine.

A couple of suggestions, if I may: You will want to put the buck on wheels so you can easily move it around - four inch wheels or bigger and at least 2 locking. A nice touch is to add rubber/foam pipe insulators to the top surface of each template. These are available at Lowe's or Home Depot. I glued them on with 3M WeatherStrip adhesive. They provide a soft padding and correct for any minor comformity in the body buck templates.

I am curious about Stan's Templates. Where can I find them?

Scott in NC
    Mk4 Complete Kit Builder
    FFR 7304

Post Thanks / Like
    Stan's template for the rear brace can be found on the ffcars site: FFCars.com - Factory Five Racing Discussion Forum > Factory Five Racing Roadsters > Factory Five Roadsters
    > Body Buck for Mk4 [search results: http://www.ffcars.com/forums/showthr...tan+body+buck] Just starting to work on the body buck myself (kit to be delivered early May).