Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mk3.1 Complete Kit IRS CV Joint Problem

Post Thanks / Like

Mk3.1 Complete Kit IRS CV Joint Problem

After 1500 miles, I began to get a clunk in the rear end when changing torque (either after shifting from 1st to Rev or when clutching). Now at 1600 miles it has worsened.

I got under the car and found that I can reproduce the sound by taking out slack in the inner CV joints which appear to have a lot of play. I can spin the driveshaft through about 1" of circumference while taking up the slack and then hearing the clunk in the inner CVs.

I am trying to convince myself that its the CVs and not the differential as I can feel the rotation through the outer wall of the CV when the driveshaft is spun through the slack.

I would like any thoughts you might have as the car has not been driven hard to date. In addition to what you think might be occurring, can you tell me if pulling the half shafts involves getting into the differential to release the c-clips or whether that can be done from the ears.? Thanks in advance.......

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jamie,

Welcome to the forum.

One thing to watch out for is the spider gears. If you used spider gears form a non IRS rear end, they are missing a recess on the inside which allows the circlup on the IRS axle to lock in. I had a similar sound and that was what was wrong on mine.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Henry..thanks, I found that issue as I searched the net as well. The pumpkin came with the complete kit....so hopefully it has the right spider gears. But I did notice that one side seemed to be able to move in and out. I was never comfortable about how it locked in. While playing yesterday, it seemed to reseat itself....but I still get the clunk.